What is this thing?

Found under a tree up by the St Marys welcome center. There were a bunch of them so it must be a normal seed. I don't have a description of the tree.

Last edited:

Nanny Pam

desertrat said:
Found under a tree up by the St Marys welcome center. There were a bunch of them so it must be a normal seed. I don't have a description of the tree.

:shrug:

Angel

~*~*~
I was curious because the picture was so gross, so I had to research this seed. The closest thing I could find was an Oak Acorn Seed.

Attachments

• Acorn.jpg
    Acorn.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 102

refugee44

It's a Hedge Ball!

I haven't seen one of these in Maryland before. I'm orginally from the Midwest where these are very common. We refer to them as Hedge Balls, but I've heard them called Hedge Apples before. Not sure what they are supposed to be used for, other than growing new Hedge ball trees. My grandmother used to swear you should keep one or two in the house to keep bugs away. *shrug*

There are lots of "facts" about Hedge balls on this website:
HTML:
http://hedgeapple.com/

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
refugee44 said:
I haven't seen one of these in Maryland before. I'm orginally from the Midwest where these are very common. We refer to them as Hedge Balls, but I've heard them called Hedge Apples before. Not sure what they are supposed to be used for, other than growing new Hedge ball trees. My grandmother used to swear you should keep one or two in the house to keep bugs away. *shrug*

There are lots of "facts" about Hedge balls on this website:
HTML:
http://hedgeapple.com/

I bet it hurts to be struck by one.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
RoseRed said:
I bet it hurts to be struck by one.
The guy that brought it back to the office said they were falling at the Welcome Center from a tree across the road. Welcome to St. Mary's County.....BOINKONTHEHEAD. :lmao:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
BS Gal said:
The guy that brought it back to the office said they were falling at the Welcome Center from a tree across the road. Welcome to St. Mary's County.....BOINKONTHEHEAD. :lmao:

I bet it left a dent. :lol:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
RoseRed said:
I bet it left a dent. :lol:
The Welcome Center is great. They get like five visitors a week. Thank will probably decrease with the boinkingsonthehead. :lmao: