Imagine my surprise ...

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
When I discovered I already had decorative hardwood flooring in the family room. :jet:

I ripped up the carpet today in preparation for the wood flooring installation, and was amused by the fact that one of the previous owners had a creative flare and not only painted the subfloor, but went so far as to stenciled it as well. :killingme :killingme

I'm guessing they ran out of blue paint (in the third pic) and just finished it off with something sorta close. :shrug:

UFB ... the things you find when you take a house apart. :lol:

Attachments

• hardwood-floor1.gif
    hardwood-floor1.gif
    57.7 KB · Views: 220
  • hardwood-floor2.gif
    hardwood-floor2.gif
    64.2 KB · Views: 195
  • hardwood-floor3.gif
    hardwood-floor3.gif
    48.7 KB · Views: 216

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
crabcake said:
When I discovered I already had decorative hardwood flooring in the family room. :jet:

I ripped up the carpet today in preparation for the wood flooring installation, and was amused by the fact that one of the previous owners had a creative flare and not only painted the subfloor, but went so far as to stenciled it as well. :killingme :killingme

I'm guessing they ran out of blue paint (in the third pic) and just finished it off with something sorta close. :shrug:

UFB ... the things you find when you take a house apart. :lol:

I restored two houses in Norfolk and I am never suprised. Painted floors can be very attractive but hard to keep clean.

crabcake

Dougstermd said:
I restored two houses in Norfolk and I am never suprised. Painted floors can be very attractive but hard to keep clean.

Those are being covered with hardwood flooring Monday. When the job is done, I'll post the after pics. :yay:

I can't wait to have use of my family room and the fireplace again. :smile:

Nanny Pam

crabcake said:
Those are being covered with hardwood flooring Monday. When the job is done, I'll post the after pics. :yay:

I can't wait to have use of my family room and the fireplace again. :smile:
:rolleyes:
What the hell do you need a fireplace for? You still have outside plants blooming?

crabcake

Nanny Pam said:
:rolleyes:
What the hell do you need a fireplace for? You still have outside plants blooming?

Because the nights are getting chilly ... and even if they aren't, I'll pull an :auntcec: and kick-on the A/C just to burn a fire and get that smell. :lol:

Pete

Repete
crabcake said:
Because the nights are getting chilly ... and even if they aren't, I'll pull an :auntcec: and kick-on the A/C just to burn a fire and get that smell. :lol:
Couldn't you get a DVD of a fireplace and some aerosol smoke smell?

crabcake

Pete said:
Couldn't you get a DVD of a fireplace and some aerosol smoke smell?

Actually, I have a pine scented candle burning right now that is pretty damn convincing. But it's not the same. I like cuddling up with the blanket on the couch near the fireplace watching a movie, listening to the crackling, etc. Right now, there's no furniture in the family room (where the fireplace is) to snuggle up on ... just a tacky, painted & stenciled sub-floor. :frown:

crabcake said:
Actually, I have a pine scented candle burning right now that is pretty damn convincing. But it's not the same. I like cuddling up with the blanket on the couch near the fireplace watching a movie, listening to the crackling, etc. Right now, there's no furniture in the family room (where the fireplace is) to snuggle up on ... just a tacky, painted & stenciled sub-floor. :frown:
Personally I'd think you'd rather have a man to cuddle up with than a blanket.

crabcake

huntr1 said:
Personally I'd think you'd rather have a man to cuddle up with than a blanket.

:duh: The man is underneath the blanket, servicing me. I thought that went without saying. :lol:

Nanny Pam said:
Yeah....I'm ready for another son-in-law to abuse. :whistle:

I'm thinking about marrying the landscaper. He works hard ... rarely says "no"; just "see" :confused: ... always carries cash ... and I can truthfully say I don't understand a word he says. :shrug:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
crabcake said:
:duh: The man is underneath the blanket, servicing me. I thought that went without saying. :lol:

I'm thinking about marrying the landscaper. He works hard ... rarely says "no"; just "see" :confused: ... always carries cash ... and I can truthfully say I don't understand a word he says. :shrug:
I lub me some Hispanic yard-workers. My dad had a walnut farm and on the weekends they would come do yard work. When they weren't ogling the teenagers at the pool, the actually worked. I had an "incident" with one of them once, but I think the baby Jesus has forgiven me cause he had it coming.

BS Gal said:
I lub me some Hispanic yard-workers. My dad had a walnut farm and on the weekends they would come do yard work. When they weren't ogling the teenagers at the pool, the actually worked. I had an "incident" with one of them once, but I think the baby Jesus has forgiven me cause he had it coming.
You raped the Hispanic yard boy...:faint:

crabcake

Kain99 said:
I think its neat as heck to uncover history like this!

This ain't "history"; it's incredibly tacky and poor taste. :lol:

"History" is the old cash register I found in the attic. :yay:

Attachments

• front-open.gif
    front-open.gif
    70.9 KB · Views: 119
K

Kain99

crabcake said:
This ain't "history"; it's incredibly tacky and poor taste. :lol:

History is the cash register I found in the attic. :yay:
It's historically tacky! Whomever left their mark. I love that!

crabcake

Kain99 said:
It's historically tacky! Whomever left their mark. I love that!

We think it's about 7-10 years old, based on what the previous owner told me about the house when she bought it. She did so to keep the previous owners from being foreclosed upon. I'm thinking it was more out of financial strain than a matter of wanting to 'leave their mark'. :lol:

crabcake

So far ... so good. I have a guy doing most of the installation so I don't jack up my back again, but it's not all that painful.

Yes, there are grooves in it. It's handscraped teak flooring, and it's supposed to have that rustic/worn look to it. Shiat's hard as all get out, too! I have NO worries about it wearing. I've been smacking it with a hammer, lining up boards, etc., and it's taking a beating like nobody's bidness. :yay:

Attachments

• floor5.gif
    floor5.gif
    73.9 KB · Views: 146
  • floor3.gif
    floor3.gif
    69.2 KB · Views: 127
  • floor4.gif
    floor4.gif
    64.6 KB · Views: 104
  • floor.gif
    floor.gif