Local Band HydraFX in final round...

buddy999

It's Great to be American
outlaw said:
Local band HydraFX has made it to the final round of the reality web show, Star Tomorrow. Please go to www.startomorrow.com to help the guys out.

Already cast my vote. If everyone who posts on this forum would go out and vote for these guys, they would be sure to win. It's not just support for them, it's also support for Southern Maryland.

bohman

I heard the guys on with Mojo this morning. They did a pretty good interview. Didn't get to hear all of it though, had to go to work.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
buddy999 said:
Already cast my vote. If everyone who posts on this forum would go out and vote for these guys, they would be sure to win. It's not just support for them, it's also support for Southern Maryland.

Yeah this is one worth voting for. :yay:

Ponytail

They got my vote. I couldn't get through 2 bars of the other 4 bands. They suck!

They'll be at BadFish this weekend in Solomons. I'll be there to check out their show. :yay:

snoopy04

Today is the last day to vote. Deadline is at 9pm. Saturday night's show at Badfish was crazy. They had people waiting in line out the door. These boys have blew up!! I'm so excited. Their original "Falls Apart" was played on DC101 last night too :)

Jameo

What?!
snoopy04 said:
Todays the last day to vote. Deadline is at 9pm. Saturday night's show at Badfish was crazy. They had people waiting in line out the door. These boys have blew up!! I'm so excited. Their original "Falls Apart" was played on DC101 last night too :)

I stood in line for like 30 minutes :brrrrrrr: But so worth it! They ROCK!! :dude:

Ponytail

We got there around 8. No line, not even anyone working the door but they caught up to use before the show started. We were able to meet and speak with most of the guys in the band as well as Mojo. All were very cool, and just genuinely nice people. they kept wanting to introduce my g/f to the sax player. not sure what that was about. :lol: But seriously, best of luck to them! Seems like they deserve to win this. :yay:

snoopy04

we got there early thank goodness...I met MoJo too, nice guy.

Heres a link to a story that was featured in the washington post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/03/AR2006110301914.html
Solomons Island Band Is Web Contest Finalist
HydraFX Vying for Recording Contract

By Michael Tunison
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, November 5, 2006; SM11

HydraFX, a Solomons Island reggae-rock band, is one of five final acts in Star Tomorrow, a national Internet talent competition held by NBC.com.

The competition, which concludes tomorrow night, began 14 weeks ago with 100 performers. One song from each act is featured each week, and the list of competitors is winnowed by viewers' votes. The winner of Star Tomorrow receives a recording contract with Warner Bros. Records. The competition is produced by David Foster, a 14-time Grammy Award-winning producer and songwriter.

HydraFX plays what its drummer, Joe Barrick, 23, describes as "happy, get-down, let's-party music." The group was influenced by the bands Sublime and 311.

The band got its start in 1995 when Joe's younger brother, Greg, was bedridden for nine months with a variety of ailments. The doctor recommended activity to regain strength in his arms, so Greg began playing guitar, and Joe played drums along with him. Vocalist and saxophone player Kevin Quinn, bassist Sean Reese and guitarist Matty Flaherty have joined the band in recent years. Besides the Washington area, the group has performed in North Carolina.

The name HydraFX is a reference to the marine culture of Solomons Island and the production effects the band employs. HydraFX also incorporates funk, metal and jazz in its music, according to the group's Web site.

The band submitted an audition video in February of a performance filmed at Neptune's Beach Club in St. Mary's County. It received a call-back in June and was invited for an interview and audition in New York, followed by a trip to Burbank, Calif., to record tracks for the competition at NBC Studios.

"This is what we've been waiting to do. This is our dream," Joe Barrick said. "If we win this, I don't know, it'll be the best day of my life."

The band recorded four songs for the competition, two originals ("Never" and "Falls Apart") and two covers (the Temptations' "My Girl" and Sublime's "Santeria").

Voting concludes at 9 p.m. Monday. Viewers can register and vote at http://www.startomorrow.com