Local Charities

nomoney

Usually around this time of year we do a few boxes for soldiers, we've done boxes for katrina kids, etc....this year we'd like to do something local. Any ideas? I'm already involved with local food drives so I'd like it to be something different then that.

nomoney said:
Usually around this time of year we do a few boxes for soldiers, we've done boxes for katrina kids, etc....this year we'd like to do something local. Any ideas? I'm already involved with local food drives so I'd like it to be something different then that.
You were on "Oprah" weren't you...:eyebrow:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
nomoney said:

Go to one of the foster homes and pick a child to do Christmas for as if they were your own. The chance to see a childs face light up is like no other..

nomoney

sanchezf said:
Go to one of the foster homes and pick a child to do Christmas for as if they were your own. The chance to see a childs face light up is like no other..

I guess I'd have to go through social services for that, how do I get in contact with the right people to do something like this?

SHELLRJA

Charity

Contact Mike's Bikes he does a clothes, food and toy drive and they always need help with delivering usually the week before Christmas. I have been involved for the last 25yr. It just so wonderful helping people. It helps me get into the Christmas spirit.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
nomoney said:
I guess I'd have to go through social services for that, how do I get in contact with the right people to do something like this?

Maybe start here St. Mary's County DSS
Main number serves both offices.
Public Telephone Number: (240) 895-7000

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
nomoney said:

St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office has a program called "Shop With a Cop", where they take disadvantaged kids back-to-school shopping. They raise money and give each kid the same amoung of $ to spend. You may want to call them and see if they can direct you to who's in charge of the program. They could probably point you in a direction of more needy families who you could make up care packages for.

Great idea though! Let me know if I can help you in any way!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
nachomama said:
St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office has a program called "Shop With a Cop", where they take disadvantaged kids back-to-school shopping. They raise money and give each kid the same amoung of $ to spend. You may want to call them and see if they can direct you to who's in charge of the program. They could probably point you in a direction of more needy families who you could make up care packages for.

Great idea though! Let me know if I can help you in any way!

She and her kids are very familiar with that program.

nomoney

RoseRed said:
She and her kids are very familiar with that program.

:huggy: I know you're still upset that that cop put you handcuffs just so my little one could get that last tickle me elmo

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
nomoney said:
:huggy: I know you're still upset that that cop put you handcuffs just so my little one could get that last tickle me elmo

Quite the contrary. I didn't realize how much I would enjoy it. :yay:

da6bearz

You can adopt a family from Community Services 301-475-4632. Our company does this every year and really makes you feel wonderful!

nmpali

Catholic Community Services (formerly Catholic Charities) can always use your services: 410-535-0090 is the number to their Calvert County Family Center.

nomoney

da6bearz said:
You can adopt a family from Community Services 301-475-4632. Our company does this every year and really makes you feel wonderful!

Just FYI, that number is out of service. Going to search for correct # today.

nomoney

For those that are interested: Community Services 301-475-4200 ext. 1851, they have info on adopting local down on their luck families with kids for Christmas.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
nomoney said:
Find the "Christmas Stars" in local businesses and pick up a couple.. I pick up at least a Boy and a Girl star somewhere in my kids age range, then let my kids help pick out the presents.

You can tell which ones the parents fill out for the kids.. socks.. underwear size__ Shirts.. Then ya get the greedy kids.. XBox 360 and three games with a list of specific games they want.. but it's all fun.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
nomoney said:
For those that are interested: Community Services 301-475-4200 ext. 1851, they have info on adopting local down on their luck families with kids for Christmas.
Or find a family in your circle of friends and family, and just be a secret Santa..

Anonymous gifts left on the stoop.. even a tree if you think they can't afford one.. you can do it for the twelve days of Christmas, or just do it Christmas morning.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
nomoney said:

Any idea if there is one in Calvert like this?

itsbob said:
Or find a family in your circle of friends and family, and just be a secret Santa..

Anonymous gifts left on the stoop.. even a tree if you think they can't afford one.. you can do it for the twelve days of Christmas, or just do it Christmas morning.
Nomo makes me do that for her and her kids every year. :ohwell: She chose "PS3 - A way to show your love" as this year's theme. :doh: