NEED Info On Carseats/Booster Seats AFTER Accident

jayden0405

Hi

My family and I were involved in a Rear End accident this past Saturday, my 18mth old was in his carseat and my 9 yr old was in her booster seat.

The impact of the rear end collision sent the 3 of us to the hospital. The kids were OK, but I on the other hand really got my back thrown out.

But the police & EMT informed me to throw away the carseats and replace them, becuase they were in an accident.

I WANT the BEST Safety for my kids, so I wanted to know has anyone else heard this, even after a rear end accident and not a rollover, etc. accident.

Thanks!

LordStanley

I know nothing
jayden0405 said:
Hi

My family and I were involved in a Rear End accident this past Saturday, my 18mth old was in his carseat and my 9 yr old was in her booster seat.

The impact of the rear end collision sent the 3 of us to the hospital. The kids were OK, but I on the other hand really got my back thrown out.

But the police & EMT informed me to throw away the carseats and replace them, becuase they were in an accident.

I WANT the BEST Safety for my kids, so I wanted to know has anyone else heard this, even after a rear end accident and not a rollover, etc. accident.

Thanks!

yup sure did.... The seat "could" have weakend during the accident. Maybe something you cant see, but its possible. You can take it to the police, I heard the swap out seats for brand new ones.

dustin

UAIOE
Yes replace them when you can. The styrofoam material in the carseat is similar to that in a motorcycle helmet. Once it has been compressed in a particular area it can no longer compress anymore, thereby reducing the energy absorption properties of the material..making the styrofoam material less effective. Granted A car seat is better than NO car seat, so replace them when you can.

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
Most local FD's offer child safety seat help/instruction and recommendations-ck. one out! :yay:

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
LordStanley said:
yup sure did.... The seat "could" have weakend during the accident. Maybe something you cant see, but its possible. You can take it to the police, I heard the swap out seats for brand new ones.

:yeahthat: Just like a bicycle helmet. Sucks, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

bad1032

[They should be replaced, your insurance company or theirs should pay to have the replaced, You can call office of community services and ask for Jackie Beckman or the sheriffs office and ask for either Mark Clark or Andy Holton and they can install the new ones, They are certified installers. But YES replace them asap even if the insurance company wont pay for them.

MMDad

Lem Putt
jayden0405 said:
Hi

Thanks!
Definitely replace them. When my wife was hit we got the other persons insurance to pay for the replacements. Your insurance should do the same.

I had to submit pictures of the old car seats to show what model they were, as well as prices of the old ones and new ones so they could see that the replacements were comparable to what we had. You won't be able to upgrade, but you should be able to get a replacement.

BusyMom

jayden0405 said:
Hi

Thanks!
I had a similar situation several years ago. I contacted the manufacturer, and they sent me a new car seat at no charge, in exchange for my returning the old one in the new box along with a copy of the police report so that they could examine it and determine how well it held up during the accident.

Spudtrooper

Taking out trailer trash
The insurance company should replace them...if you never get a company from them...I saw earlier you think they have no insurance....go through your company uninsured motorists coverage is a deductable of 250.00 in MD and you will not be surcharged. Your insurance goes after them in court and if they win...you get your 250.00 back.