Free credit report

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If this is in here anywhere, I didn't see it. So here goes:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

I did not know this but you are entitled to a free credit report every 12 months. FICO scores are available for a fee.

Just go to the above website and fill out the information - you'll need some account numbers and other information to prove you're you. You'll get a report from Experian, Equifax and TransUnion, which will be available online for 30 days.

I was surprised at some of the stuff that's on my report - credit cards that I thought had been cancelled a decade ago.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
PS, unlike free(haha)creditreport.com, you do not need to enter a credit card or sign up for any paid services to get your credit report.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Definitely take advantage of this service, especially at this time of year. My wife tried to do some online shopping Thursday night but her card was denied. Undeterred she finished her transaction with another card and started to investigate the denied card.

Well it seems that someone in Illinois has gotten ahold of some of her information and they REALLY like to shop online. $1000 @ Coach, another $1000 or so in sports jerseys, and a wheelchair :confused:.Luckily, Capital One had some flags go up and restricted the card. Obviously we are not responsible for the charges, but this is the second card in the past month and a half that had fraudulent charges. (Yes we checked all the cards after the 1st one)

The folks at Capital One did say that this time of year people figure that they can get away with fraudulent charges easier due to volume, so it really pays to stay on top of this stuff. :peace:

Old Dog

I vaguely recollect that this is part of the revamping of bankruptcy rules or something... a bone they threw to the consumers for tightening up the bankruptcy rules so much. Everyone nationwide can receive a free credit report every year... possibly from every agency but I'm not sure.

Before the feds stepped in, some states required the credit reporting agencies to provide an annual free report but some states didn't. I believe Maryland is one of the states that already required providing consumers this service.

Pete

Repete
Unfortunately they do not include the FICO score. A credit report is good to get periodically but the FICO is what they use to determine credit worthiness. To get FICO they charge.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Thanks Vrai! :yay:

5 positive account reports, and NO negative ones!

No negative public records, and no negative credit items shown either.

I didn't opt for the $5.95 credit score check, but I would assume it's decent.:dance:

johnjrval424

You are entitled to the free report through the "annualcreditreport" website once every 12 months.

What some people don't know is that, in Maryland, if you are denied credit, you can get a free copy from each of the websites as well (Equifax, Experian and Trans Union). You can go online and specify that you have been denied credit and they will give you a free report then and there.

Makavide

Not too talkative
vraiblonde said:
If this is in here anywhere, I didn't see it. So here goes:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

I did not know this but you are entitled to a free credit report every 12 months. FICO scores are available for a fee.

Just go to the above website and fill out the information - you'll need some account numbers and other information to prove you're you. You'll get a report from Experian, Equifax and TransUnion, which will be available online for 30 days.

I was surprised at some of the stuff that's on my report - credit cards that I thought had been cancelled a decade ago.

You can get a free credit report from each of the three credit reporting companies: Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion, once every 12 months You can get them all at the same time, or you can space them out.

All three companies don't always report the same information in your credit history, one may have something the other doesn't. So it is good to check all three.

However, the problem with credit fraud is that it can happen at any time. With that in mind, it is recommended that you get one credit report every four months. For example, get Experian's report in January, Equifax in April, and TransUnion in August. That way you can keep an eye on your credit throughout the year.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
*bump*

It's that time again, folks! Check your credit report to make sure there's nothing flaky on there!

Cowgirl

*bump*

It's that time again, folks! Check your credit report to make sure there's nothing flaky on there!

How many times per year can you check it without it negatively affecting your credit? Don't "they" frown upon checking it too frequently?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How many times per year can you check it without it negatively affecting your credit? Don't "they" frown upon checking it too frequently?

You can check your own credit without it affecting you. And you can get your report free once a year.

sux2b44

I heart CLeValley
Thanks Vria. I am sure this information will help many. Also thnaks for getting that stupid "freecreditreport.com" song stuck in my head.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
*bump*

I did and discovered that I had an old credit card that went to bad land. I called and paid it off in full. Yes it will still be a negative but better than a didn't pay. I have many positives on there also especially the most recent purchases.