Question for show people?

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
What kind of schooling shows would you like to have more of in this area?
MSA quality (English and/or Western -proper attire, rated judges, varied jump heights, well organized and run)
SMHA quality (proper attire, rated judges, varied heights, not as structured as MSA)
Mounted Wanderers like shows (4-H ish)
A Moment in Time like shows (low key, dress down usually, varied fence height)
Flat Iron like shows (low key, dress down, low fences)

I am curious and am trying to devise a plan with your input. I am not sure how many of you guys show. It seems like most of you ride for pleasure. Please let me know if you do that too.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
i want to try my hand at showing my GAITED horses. In hand trail and trail classes would be nice. I like low key, dress down stuff. i just want to show off the horses not me.

K

Katie

A combination of all of them.

Laid back so that if a person has a new horse, and green horse they feel comfortable enough to get them used to the atmosphere.

Organized so that people want to come back.

Varying fence heights so that there is a good variety of levels of jumping.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Katie said:
A combination of all of them.

Laid back so that if a person has a new horse, and green horse they feel comfortable enough to get them used to the atmosphere.

Organized so that people want to come back.

Varying fence heights so that there is a good variety of levels of jumping.

:yeahthat:

Winn Dixie

Song of the South
Sadielady said:
What kind of schooling shows would you like to have more of in this area?
MSA quality (English and/or Western -proper attire, rated judges, varied jump heights, well organized and run)
SMHA quality (proper attire, rated judges, varied heights, not as structured as MSA)
Mounted Wanderers like shows (4-H ish)
A Moment in Time like shows (low key, dress down usually, varied fence height)
Flat Iron like shows (low key, dress down, low fences)

I am curious and am trying to devise a plan with your input. I am not sure how many of you guys show. It seems like most of you ride for pleasure. Please let me know if you do that too.

Who are you? :howdy:

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Would these shows be held Indoors or Outdoors?

Many of the better Winter Series are up in the Howard Co., Baltimore Co. and Carroll Co. area. It would be great to have a Winter Schooling Series that offered classes similiar to the Classes offered at the Howard County Horse Show Assoc. (HCHSA.net), Baltimore Co. Horse Show Assoc., or MSA. I have clients that would like to keep there horses going during the winter without having to travel 2hrs. to do so. If your class prices are going to be $10 to $15 a class then Rated judges are a good idea. Also Hunter class with a with an eight jump course.

spellbound

I'd like to see some similar to VHSA Associate Shows. I know you've never been to a VHSA Associate, but there are some good winter dates within 1.5 hrs. I can take you. It'd be fun!

Dreamer

I am not Winn Dixie
spellbound said:
I'd like to see some similar to VHSA Associate Shows. I know you've never been to a VHSA Associate, but there are some good winter dates within 1.5 hrs. I can take you. It'd be fun!

Who are you going to take? :flowers: Do I get to go, do I get to go? :whistle:

fredsaid2

spellbound said:

Careful on that "I'd be fun" thing! :lmao:

fredsaid2

As to the shows, something along the lines of MSA, preferably winter dates. Fewer classes to allow people to get home before dark. Well laid out hunter courses built up throughout the series. Good footing and good parking. Nice but fun and a bit lower key to start. Do you envision having them at HP?

Dreamer

I am not Winn Dixie
I am curious and am trying to devise a plan with your input. I am not sure how many of you guys show. It seems like most of you ride for pleasure. Please let me know if you do that too.[/QUOTE said:
For whom are you devising a plan? Are you show, barn or government affiliated? :coffee:

Eventer29

I really really liked the show series that Freedoms Rein 4-h club and farm put on a couple years ago i think in winter/very early spring. I only made it to one and really liked it for my students who are pretty well past MW type shows and want to move to bigger shows like MSA. The show seemed relaxed but well run. I liked the classes. Would like to have shows with varied jump heights.. Jumper classes are always nice too!!!

fredsaid2

spellbound said:
Don't worry. I'd make her drive. She has a mini van. I'll claim the back seat so I can watch DVDs on the way there.

Good idea! That's more along the lines of fun :smile:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I was thinking that it would be nice to have some decent schooling shows in the "off" months. Where I am boarding and training they have an indoor 100X 200. The footing is being worked on, but is tolerable. They have a nice outdoor and great jumps. They said I could put on a show anytime I wanted to, but I would have to do all the planning etc. Most of my students don't have their own horses and have to use school horses. Since I only accept students that want to show....I have to figure out a way for them to be able to show school horses. I have several "green" horses that I would like to show also, but my lack of amateur status prevents me from showing in several divisions. One of the divisions at MSA that I like to show in has up to 46 riders and has been closed to more entrie by the time I get up there. I would like to be able to actually show. I would like my students have several Equitation classes to ride in since most of the school horses are not great hunters. Anyway, I was thinking along the lines of something in between MSA and SMHA. I would do some Western classes too, but I haven't shown Western since I was 13 and my knowledge and skill level in that area is lacking. I would also have to get a Western judge. If there is anyone who wants to help me plan a Western show I am open to that. I was thinking of doing a trial 1 or 2 shows in maybe late January early February and see how the attendance was. If it goes well we could actually plan a series with year end points etc. I do want your input and help. Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited:

spellbound

Millie Welsh from Davidsonville judges English and Western. She has a USEF judges card in hunter and equitation. She used to hold an AQHA judging card but has not kept her status maintained in recent years. But since it would be a schooling show that probably wouldn't be a concern. She judges at AMIT probably once a year , and I've seen her steward at MSA. And she has been used alot for the shows that I attend regularly since we sometimes have an english show and a western show on the same day.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
We take our barn kids (western) to Free State Riding Club Shows in Bowie and they are wonderful. Very laid back, judges understand that many of the kids are once a week lesson riders riding whatever horse is around, have classes geared toward green horses and riders. The folks in charge are awesome at keeping control and are open to suggestions and help. I even show my gaited horses there and have a ball. We all go with the idea of having fun and learning more about ourselves and our horses. It is a pain being 1 1/2 hrs away and makes for a long day sometimes. I can't talk about the english side of the classes and how things are there. Turnout can be surprising and varies - this April the parking area was jammed and they had 120 riders and horse entries. Some months are much smaller and may have only 4 kids in a class. They are quick to break down the larger classes into two classes going by age but that can sometimes slow things down. The prices also are affordable for our lesson kids 5 or 6 bucks per class. That is a big part of our decision to show there also. Kids can do 8 classes and only spend $40 bucks for the whole day. There are NO OTHER fees. It is run by a great bunch of volunteers who make this possible. I can't say enough great things about this series. We've had folks approach us about doing this type of show here closer but we don't have the time or volunteers to dedicate to this effort. Maybe we can help with your western classes?

fredsaid2

It's an ambitious project but worth the try. You might start w/ the MSA and SMHA prize books. Edit down their class lists to a manageable level and use the judge listings for contacts. They are both nice groups and I think they'd be willing to share information.