H & R Block instant loan

cege

Has anybody ever done the instant loan you can do at H&R Block? Apparently you can do it now for money for the holidays or whatever. I was thinking about trying it. If you have used it what did you think?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
They're advancing you your tax refund and charging you interest. If you're getting a big refund adjust you witholding to decrease it. In essence, you're giving the government an interest free loan.
H&R will charge you interest to loan you the money you loaned the government for free.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
:loanshark:

For the money that they charge to let you "borrow" your own tax refund, it doesn't seem worth it.

cege

We normally get a pretty decent amount back and funds are tight right now which is why I was thinking about trying it.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
cege said:
Has anybody ever done the instant loan you can do at H&R Block? Apparently you can do it now for money for the holidays or whatever. I was thinking about trying it. If you have used it what did you think?
Don't do it.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
cege said:
We normally get a pretty decent amount back and funds are tight right now which is why I was thinking about trying it.
Fill out a new W-4 with your employer and add a dependent or 2 to decrease the amount witheld. (that's the intrest free loan you're currently giving the government)

jayden0405

cege said:

I have never heard of doing a instant loan before tax season. I have heard of once they file your taxes they give you a check, but not prior to.

Where did you hear that at?

cege

jayden0405 said:
I have never heard of doing a instant loan before tax season. I have heard of once they file your taxes they give you a check, but not prior to.

Where did you hear that at?

A girl at work mentioned it last year so early I checked the H &R Block website and saw it on there but it doesn't give much info. Plus I was curious if anybody had tried it just to see what amount they got and all. You can only get so much I think its like $1500.00 but I'm assuming that it doesn't mean you will get that much.

Elle

Happy Camper!
cege said:
A girl at work mentioned it last year so early I checked the H &R Block website and saw it on there but it doesn't give much info. Plus I was curious if anybody had tried it just to see what amount they got and all. You can only get so much I think its like $1500.00 but I'm assuming that it doesn't mean you will get that much.
If you are getting a refund in excess of $1,500 I'd consider, like mentioned before, changing your withholdings and getting less taken out of you check every week.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Elle said:
If you are getting a refund in excess of $1,500 I'd consider, like mentioned before, changing your withholdings and getting less taken out of you check every week.
Some people like getting a big refund. And some people don't understand they're giving the government an interest-free loan for 12 months. :lol:

D

dems4me

Chasey_Lane said:
Some people like getting a big refund. And some people don't understand they're giving the government an interest-free loan for 12 months. :lol:

I like getting a big refund but never knew you can change your number of dependants legally. If I have ZERO dependents, would it be illegal for me to claim 2 or 3?

W

Wenchy

DoWhat said:
No.
But be prepared to pay if you don't have any deductions.

She can go to the HR department and fill out a form to have extra money withheld for state and/or federal taxes each pay period. No need to claim dependents.

Dems could do this, and get a HUGE refund at the end of the year.

Better than an H&R Block loan. :yay: