car work

ehall

Hi, I've been in Cali/LexPark area for a couple of years, and have been using this site for things like golf courses and such, but its my first time posting here.

I've got an 85 Cadillac that's in pretty good shape and just needs some light automotive work, but I'm having trouble finding good places though.

I went to Cheseldyne over by Wal-Mart a couple of times but everytime I got work done there I'd need more work done soon after (replace something, and then something else would show up broken two weeks later). I'm not accusing them of sabotage or anything, but after three times they sure are unlucky.

Next I tried Laser Lube, and had them replace a water pump and look into a "service soon" diagnostic. They put the serpentine belt on wrong (it broke within a week), and the part they replaced was for something that wasn't on the diagnostics track (the light is still coming on too btw). So they are off the list now too.

Only place I've had good work done is Midas on Great Mills. They did some good brake work that hasn't need fixes for their fixes, but I don't really trust them for the diagnostics stuff. Does anybody know any mechanics that are actually worth paying?

I need to get some electrical work done too and it doesn't seem that anybody down here does that stuff. I am looking for minor stuff, like change all bulbs and fuses, clean contacts and old cell-phone wiring, check for ground faults, etc, and maybe put in high performance battery and alternator. Only thing I can find is a stereo installer that does electrical on the side and I'm not too confident in that.

Anybody know a good detailer? The big car wash didn't clean my carpets and didn't seem to have the service available.

Thanks for the tips

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
My dad had a Caddy. Locally he went to Don at Leonardtown Service Center. There were some things though that Don had him go to the dealer for - just the way Caddies are. Local dealer is Ken Dixon in Waldorf. Hope this helps.

M

Mousebaby

Curtis Tire does good work, but I don't know about electrical. They are located on Great Mills Rd. on the left just before you get to the Wawa. Good luck!! :howdy:

BusyMom

Try Ridge Service Center - not sure if they can help with everything you need, but they do great work for a reasonable price. 301-872-9931

ehall

bresamil said:
My dad had a Caddy. Locally he went to Don at Leonardtown Service Center. There were some things though that Don had him go to the dealer for - just the way Caddies are.
Yeah, some of the fiber optics stuff I need is dealer-only.

Gummie

All American Automotive Electric (not sure of name) in Hughsville used to be excellent at electric problems. Approximately 15 years ago, my wife's car would cut all electric on and off at random. It was taken to several places with no luck. One quick trip to Hughsville and they diagnosed the problem and had it fixed quickly and at a reasonable cost. Maybe someone can relate if they are still good.

ehall

Mousebaby said:
Curtis Tire does good work
My mom takes her car there. I like them alright but they seem to just be guessing a lot. One day her car wouldn't start, I went and looked at it, the battery was fine so it looked like a bum starter. She took it to Curtis, they replaced the battery, and two days later it wouldn't start again.

Danzig

Mousebaby said:
Curtis Tire does good work, but I don't know about electrical. They are located on Great Mills Rd. on the left just before you get to the Wawa. Good luck!! :howdy:

I will never use Curtis :boo: or recommend them again.
In fact I would recommend you don't go to them for anything not even a used tire.
I'm about to take them to small claims court for $5000.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
ANd I'd go to Cheseldine, they do all the work on my LR and have been real happy with the work they did, the problems they solved, and their prices..

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
itsbob said:
ANd I'd go to Cheseldine, they do all the work on my LR and have been real happy with the work they did, the problems they solved, and their prices..
I love Cheseldine. They have always been fair with me.

ehall

itsbob said:
ehall said:
Yeah, some of the fiber optics stuff I need is dealer-only.
On an 85 Caddy? Please try again..
huh? It uses fiber optics for some of the lighting, and I've never found anybody other than a dealer that will even try to work on that stuff.

ehall

BS Gal said:
I love Cheseldine. They have always been fair with me.
As I said in the first post, everytime they've worked on my car something else would come up broken, usually while I was out of town. They are bad luck for my car, which is why I'm looking elsewhere.

Midnightrider

I've used Marks (just south of gate 2) a few times and have been really happy. He didn't overcharge me and had the work done quick

ehall

Gummie said:
All American Automotive Electric (not sure of name) in Hughsville used to be excellent at electric problems
That's the right name and they are in the phone book. I was in that area today so I drove by their location but didn't see the shop. I'll call them and see if they are still around. Thanks for the tip.

OldHillcrestGuy

Gummie said:
All American Automotive Electric (not sure of name) in Hughsville used to be excellent at electric problems.

They are no longer in Hughesville, use to be across from the firehouse behind a house, Eddie has moved down to the Fowler Industrial Park down on 235, Oraville he's been there about 4-5 months now, dont know if its still called the same, but name is very similiar.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Midnightrider said:
I've used Marks (just south of gate 2) a few times and have been really happy. He didn't overcharge me and had the work done quick

Marks garage does do great automotive mechanicaland electrical work. IMO, I also like PJ's for body and paint. :coffee:

jms

I know a few people have said don't use Curtis Tire but I always go there and have no problems. They have a Master Mechanic there and he can fix anything. I only let him work on my car and he is very honest and will fix it right. If you decide to go there just tell them you only want their Master Tech to fix the car, don't let some of those other guys do the work.

Last edited:

jms

For car detailing did you try Keep it Real. It is located between McKays and Curtis Tire on Great Mills Rd. I heard they are pretty good.