Credit Card Fraud

SamSpade

Yesterday I got a letter in the mail presumably from the bank of one of my credit cards, warning me of potential fraudulent use of my card and providing a number to call. Without thinking too long about it, I promptly picked up the phone and dialed, gave my info via the voicemail system they had - and waited. Until it politely told me that due to the volume of calls, they could not provide service at this time and then it told me it would automatically disconnect. This was surprising, because every customer service number I have ever called - especially one billed as being available 24/7 - always lets you wait around until kingdom come.

Looking at the letterhead, I noticed it was Bank of America - but it was black and white, and not the typical red white and blue. Further, I noticed not one person's name was listed - even the signature was "Fraud Department". It sure looked official regarding Bank of America - but I began to wonder if the REAL fraud hadn't already been perpetrated on *ME* by getting me to reveal information.

Fortunately - thanks to VRAI - I had free copies of all my recent credit reports. Sure enough, this was an old credit card that I paid off two and a half years ago and hadn't used since. I dug out the card, called the customer service number and waited.

Since this was a *REAL* customer service number - two significant things popped up. One was, the offer to do it in Spanish. Yeah, it's a pain, but it occurred to me that the other number never offered any such service. Secondly, it didn't ask for any information until I got a bona fide service representative.

Sure enough - there HAD been a charge made on my card - ironically, on exactly the date of my other letter (the one I suspected to be a ripoff). It was for a paltry amount, but the rep couldn't figure out where the hell it had been made.

I closed the account, completely. Yeah, it has a HUGE credit limit, but I don't use it at all and obviously it's a target for fraud. What I suspect is that somewhere, someone "pings" credit card numbers they get, and automated messages get sent out to phish for info. I'm glad I shut the thing down.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
That's a very good reason to go over your paperwork with a fine tooth comb. If you ever have a question call them. :yay:

bcp

In My Opinion
As much of a pain as it can be, I go directlty to the bank.

that happened once to me. I went to the bank (they know me there) and went over it with the bank manager, seems that the bank was not at all interested in my account.
She shut down the care in question and just opened up a new one with a new number.
couple days later the new card shows up in the mail and I have not had a problem since.

Vince

It's called phishing. The gov't gives you a short training thing on this and the Bank of America was one of the target emails that are sent. Also, alot is done via email attachments. Attachments containing programs that get into your computer and get personal information.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
My Bank of America card bill came in and it too was just in b&w. It was "printed" on the same paper that has the perforations for the "convenience checks" and just looks like a Xerox copy.:confused: I decided that I will just pay it at the bank and call B of A and ask them about this.

My wife and I are suspicious of anything out of the ordinary with our credit cards now, she has had 2 card numbers swiped in the past 3 months.:ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SamSpade said:
thanks to VRAI
:yahoo:

Tip for those who receive email correspondence from banks, eBay, etc:

Hover over any links they want you to click. If it's a phishing scheme, the link address won't be the same as the typed address. For example:

http://www.bankofamerica.com

If you hover over the link above, you'll see that it's not a Bank of America address. The trick is that most people will simply click the link, not copy and paste it. Then you log into a bogus (but very real looking) website with your account numbers or user/pass and voila! You've been successfully scammed.

R

remaxrealtor

vraiblonde said:
:yahoo:

Tip for those who receive email correspondence from banks, eBay, etc:

Hover over any links they want you to click. If it's a phishing scheme, the link address won't be the same as the typed address. For example:

http://www.bankofamerica.com

If you hover over the link above, you'll see that it's not a Bank of America address. The trick is that most people will simply click the link, not copy and paste it. Then you log into a bogus (but very real looking) website with your account numbers or user/pass and voila! You've been successfully scammed.

F ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just happened to me! The police just left my office, $4000.00 worth of charges to coach.com!

Pete

Repete
remaxrealtor said:
F ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just happened to me! The police just left my office, $4000.00 worth of charges to coach.com!
Did you get a bill or something?

R

remaxrealtor

Pete said:
Did you get a bill or something?
No, I tried to use my B of A card at Target and it was declined. I called to find out why and they said there had been a strange spending pattern. 15 charges in all...coach, abercrombie, nordstrom..... :wench:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
remaxrealtor said:
$4000.00 worth of charges to coach.com!
Here's something I don't understand, because I wouldn't make a very good crook:

It seems to me that if someone scams your credit card and uses it for online merchandise purchases, it would be a rather simple thing to catch the culprit - the stuff has to be delivered somewhere, right?

Or is there something else I haven't thought of?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Gift cards

This is the newest scam that I've seen, just got the email about it this morning;

Well the crooks have found a way to rob you of your gift card balance. If you buy Gift Cards from a display rack that has various store cards you may become a victim of theft. Crooks are now jotting down the card numbers in the store and then wait a few days and call to see how much of a balance THEY have on the card. Once they find the card is "activated", and then they go online and start shopping. You may want to purchase your card from a customer service person, where they do not have the Gift Cards viewable to the public. Please share this with all your family and friends... http://www.snopes.com/fraud/sales/giftcard.asp

beerlover

They say id theft is the fastest growing crime and outnumbers home and car theft 6 to 1. Has anyone looked into ID Theft Insurance? I briefly looked into one at Zander Insurance. It was like $6 a month and they did all the legwork/tracking if anything strange happens with your account. Anybody have anything like that? Might be worthwhile.

marianne

vraiblonde said:
It seems to me that if someone scams your credit card and uses it for online merchandise purchases, it would be a rather simple thing to catch the culprit - the stuff has to be delivered somewhere, right?

I've seen a couple instances where the perp uses the address of an abandoned place to have their stuff delivered. Then they just drive/walk up, and get the mail.

donbarzini

vraiblonde said:
Here's something I don't understand, because I wouldn't make a very good crook:

Or is there something else I haven't thought of?

yeah, but...most of the time the fraudulent charge isn't caught until the bill comes in. And by that time the on-line purchase has been delivered to some generic address(or P.O. Box) registered to "John Smith".

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
donbarzini said:
yeah, but...most of the time the fraudulent charge isn't caught until the bill comes in. And by that time the on-line purchase has been delivered to some generic address(or P.O. Box) registered to "John Smith".

:yeahthat: When a credit card of mine got compromised a couple of years ago and I noticed a $200 charge to an online store I never shop at, I called the store and found the merchandise had been shipped to an address in California. They don't care where they ship stuff as long as they have a valid credit card number. :rolleyes: