Septic advice

B

Bruce

With all the rain/snow we have had recently, I'm having some problems with water backing into my septic tank from the drainfield (and then into tho house of course). Does anyone know someone I can trust to come give me advice ? I live in La Plata by the way.

thanks,
Bruce

K

Kizzy

Try Dave's Septic or Earnshaw Brothers. My dad has used them in the past and he said Dave's has always been honest with him, but he has heard thru the grapevine that Earnshaw Brothers is very good.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
It probably just needs pumping. My parents always used Copsey to pump theirs when I was growing up. They were always reasonably priced and efficient. If you pump it regularly, you shouldn't have problems. My parents were good for 25 years or so, then they had to have the system replaced because of tree roots growing into it.

B

Bruce

thanks for the input. My system is 23 years old and I'm thinking it might just be time. I had it pumped but when it rains heavy, water comes back into the tank. I have a call in to Earnshaw so we'll see what happens. Oh, one other thing, my yard was hit by the tornado last spring and I lost about 40 trees, so that might be having some impact. Lots of possibilities at this point.

B

willie

If, after pumping, it drains back into the tank that means the drain field is saturated.

SeaRide

Are you sure the drain pipes are laid down properly so the rain will flow/drain DOWN/AWAY from the septic tank? if not, something is wrong. My brother had to install a new septic tank in the front yard since the old one (over 30 yrs old) in the side yard has been saturated/stuffed up to the point where the water is not going anywhere but back into the house.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Bruce
Oh, one other thing, my yard was hit by the tornado last spring and I lost about 40 trees, so that might be having some impact.
You might be onto something there. If some of the roots underlying the drainfield were pulled up through the soil by the storm it could have disrupted the flow of the system. Good luck on this sh!tty situation.

B

Bruce

thanks again everyone. I realized one more thing last nite, in October a commercial dumpster was placed in the back yard for a while then removed full. They drove over at least a part of the tank.

The saga continues.

K

Kizzy

Sounds like it may be time to contact the insurance company. I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if they crush a pipe.