New York State Birth Certificates

Daffy

I just need to vent a little bit, and pass along some ridiculous information in the process. My daughter is taking a class next semester that will be taking a trip to Belize in Central America. Needless to say she needs a passport for this. So she takes her passport photos, application, and her little birth certificate to the post office to begin the process. They sent her away. Said her birth certificate was not valid because it is signed by the ‘Commissioner of Health’ and stamped/sealed by the ‘Director of Vital Statistics’. They said it needs to be signed by either a doctor or the Register of Vital Statistics. ‘That’s ridiculous!’ I say. Look at mine, look at your father’s…they are the same. So I call the New York State Department of Health and ask what’s up? Why is my daughter being sent packing? Apparently since 9/11 there has been a change and NYS birth certificates are now required to be signed by the Register. ‘So this piece of paper that I have in my hand…ISSUED BY THE STATE OF NEW YORK…is USELESS?!?!?!?!’ I ask. Yup. Mine and my husband’s also??? ‘If they were issued in New York State prior to 9/11’ comes the answer. ‘So you’re telling me that by birth certificate, ISSUED FORTY-SEVEN YEARS AGO, is no good because of some rule that went into effect 5 years ago?????’ Yup. :banghead:

Have you ever heard of anything so stupid??? Do you think there is any way that people born BEFORE 9/11 could have been exempt from this new rule? Or perhaps been notified BEFORE they needed their birth certificate for something? It boggles the mind that millions of people now have to pay a fee to get copies of their birth certificates for no frickin’ reason. I’m a fan of security and all but come on!!!!! This has the signs of filling the state coffers with $$$ written all over it. I’ll bet this was Hillary’s idea!!! Stupid carpet-bagging wench! :cussing:

smsd

DA BEARS!!!
That's pure insanity. I wish you luck.

Although I would like to add that Hilary Clinton is a United States Senator not a New York State Senator, which would mean that she would have had nothing to do with making that retarded law.

wunsent

Daffy said:
I just need to vent a little bit, and pass along some ridiculous information in the process. My daughter is taking a class next semester that will be taking a trip to Belize in Central America. Needless to say she needs a passport for this. So she takes her passport photos, application, and her little birth certificate to the post office to begin the process. They sent her away. Said her birth certificate was not valid because it is signed by the ‘Commissioner of Health’ and stamped/sealed by the ‘Director of Vital Statistics’. They said it needs to be signed by either a doctor or the Register of Vital Statistics. ‘That’s ridiculous!’ I say. Look at mine, look at your father’s…they are the same. So I call the New York State Department of Health and ask what’s up? Why is my daughter being sent packing? Apparently since 9/11 there has been a change and NYS birth certificates are now required to be signed by the Register. ‘So this piece of paper that I have in my hand…ISSUED BY THE STATE OF NEW YORK…is USELESS?!?!?!?!’ I ask. Yup. Mine and my husband’s also??? ‘If they were issued in New York State prior to 9/11’ comes the answer. ‘So you’re telling me that by birth certificate, ISSUED FORTY-SEVEN YEARS AGO, is no good because of some rule that went into effect 5 years ago?????’ Yup. :banghead:

My birth certifcate is also from New York and was issued wwwaaaayyy before September 11th was even thought about. It's also signed by the "Director, Bureau of Vital Records". I had no problem getting my passport in the fall of 2004. I don't know if it'll make a difference but I went to the Post Office in Lexington Park to get my passport. Maybe try there? Good luck!