TLC — World's Smartest Boy

Angel

~*~*~
http://tlc.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=0&cpi=55212&gid=0&channel=TLC

This kid has me crying. I have always been amazed and interested in Prodigy's.

While watching this, I have become curious, and stirred an interesting topic of conversation with the man... Why is it that a lot of our American Doctors are of Indian decent? Is it environmental, that since they see and live with more suffering or disease, that they attach themselves to a doctoral specialty? The other side of this is that, does the Westernized person of the same intellectual ability attach themselves to a more financial specialty because of their environment? Interesting that most of the medical professionals come from areas of lesser technological advancement and that most of the financial professional come from areas of the most technological advancement. Food for thought.

K

Kain99

Angel said:
http://tlc.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=0&cpi=55212&gid=0&channel=TLC

This kid has me crying. I have always been amazed and interested in Prodigy's.

While watching this, I have become curious, and stirred an interesting topic of conversation with the man... Why is it that a lot of our American Doctors are of Indian decent? Is it environmental, that since they see and live with more suffering or disease, that they attach themselves to a doctoral specialty? The other side of this is that, does the Westernized person of the same intellectual ability attach themselves to a more financial specialty because of their environment? Interesting that most of the medical professionals come from areas of lesser technological advancement and that most of the financial professional come from areas of the most technological advancement. Food for thought.
Under U.S. immigration rules, a foreign doctor — even if he completes his medical schooling in the U.S., or does an internship or residency at an American hospital — is obliged to return to his homeland for a period of at least two years before he can seek employment in the U.S. There is, however, an exception built into the law. The U.S. Federal Government has designated 2100 areas, mostly impoverished districts at the nadir of the economic recession, as "medically under-served". If a foreign doctor agrees to work in one of these areas, the standard requirement, of two years outside the U.S. before working here, is lifted. The much sought-after "green card", entitling the doctor to permanent residence in the U.S., is just a few prescriptions away.

As a result, the brain drain of doctors from developing countries continues, while ensuring Americans get medical care even in areas where American doctors wouldn't want to work. There are some 6,00,000 licensed medical practitioners in the U.S., of whom about 1,20,000 are foreigners. The largest single group of foreign doctors is, of course, from India — no fewer than 25,000. The irony of Indian doctors, who have no lack of poor patients needing their medical skills in their own country, coming to help the American underclass, is considerable.