Moonlit Charity Ball

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Mark your calendars for a fun outdoor weekend. As I get more information as to who the bands will be, where to obtain invitations, cost per person, etc. I will post it. Here is what I know so far.

What : 5th Annual Moonlit Charity Ball for Hospice of St. Mary's (continuing on where the 19 years of Bucksnort parties left off)

Date : July 11th ,12th & 13th, 2003

Time : 12 noon 11th (camp set-up) / 12 noon 13th (camp take-down)

Where : SEASIDE VIEW CAMP GROUNDS

Ken King

PREMO Member
Update -

Camp site setup - anytime after noon on the 11th.
Camp site teardown by noon on the 14th.
Bar-B-Que (burgers and franks) on the 11th.
Bar-B-Que Pig on the 12th.
Covered Dish appreciated.

Bands:
Friday from 8PM to Midnight - Barking Spiders
Saturday from 3PM to 6PM - Bottom Country Bluegrass
Saturday from 8 PM to Midnight - Surreal

Cost $45 (invitation required), proceeds to benefit HOSPICE of St. Mary's

I can get invitations for those seeking to attend, PM or email me.

Athena1078

Social Director
Sounds like fun, I will have to let you know. My question is what is Bucksnort? I saw a bumper sticker last night that said "Hey Baby, I'm a bucksnort" and meant to ask what that was.. figured it had to be a SOMD thing

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Originally posted by Athena1078
Sounds like fun, I will have to let you know. My question is what is Bucksnort? I saw a bumper sticker last night that said "Hey Baby, I'm a bucksnort" and meant to ask what that was.. figured it had to be a SOMD thing
Bucksnort is an organization - think of it as an elks lodge kinda thing.

Hey Ken if I can get a camping partner I wanna go. I barely made it out alive last year thu, so I know I need backup :lmao: Too many of these :cheers:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by Athena1078
My question is what is Bucksnort?
Bucksnorts came into existance around 1979/1980 (wasn't called Bucksnort yet). It started as a group of people that hung out in Leonardtown (Wharf/Dukes) that wanted to have an outdoor weekend party. They organized the event with the intent of breaking even. However, they made a profit and decided to donate those funds to a local charity. It grew and got bigger over the next few years and then they applied for and were given not for profit status as a philanthropical organization.

The parties continued, along with numerous other endeavors, working at the fire department carnivals donating services and time, Adopt-a-Highway, Christmas in April, the fair, Turkey Drive, and just about anything else one could imagine. The main fundraiser was always the summer full moon party, which through the course of time has generated over $100,000 for charity. In 1999 the Bucksnorts threw their last party as an actual organization and officially folded (couldn't get anyone to run for any of the officer positions as it had grown to become almost a full time job).

Today it is back to just doing the party by what we refer to as the Bucksnort Preservation Society. A lot less organization, a lot less activity, and a lot less stress, but we still have a great time and are still helping out a charity with any profit that we make. Over the years we have grown to over 2,000 members.

Ponytail

I won't be able to make it...I'll be wheeling in the poconos again...unless I break something the week before.