Advice on Buying a Car...Please help

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Ok, I am considering purchasing a new car and I have narrowed it down to two. I definately want a convertible no more than 25K prefer a V6. :D What I have found is a Seabring Convertible and a Mitsubishi Sypder.

I am asking for anyone with EDUCATED opinions or stories about either car for advice. I want to know if anyone knows anything terribly wrong with either one or has personally owned each one.

Also, does anyone know the best places to get good deal on one and any tips on getting a good price. If anyone knows of any other convertibles in that price range that is of equal comparison to the two I picked out let me know also. What I am looking for is a bigger backseat, 4 seats and a nice riding car. Please help.

Y

yornoc

I have a Mitsubishi 3000 GT (1994) and the best thing about it is the looks. Everything for it is expensive and it is not very comfortable. I've never driven the Spyder so I can't say much about it. I'm not big on Chrysler so I know nothing about the Seabring. My suggestion would be the Mustang but since you did not mention it, try doing this...

Do a search on www.google.com for both cars and see if you find a site for car clubs (for each of type of car) with a forum. You can then join the forum and ask questions. Sometimes the sites are broken down into types of cars within a certain model. For example, for the 300ZX, there are www.z31.com (1985 - 1989 model), www.zcar.com (all 240, 280 and 300Z and ZX), www.twinturbo.org (1990+ twin turbo 300ZX), etc.

These forums (like this one) are usually VERY helpful.

Good luck!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have a 2000 Chrysler Sebring Convertible and LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!! Before that, I had a 1989 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible. The Sebring has been absolutely trouble-free (except for one minor problem - see below) - very comfortable, good gas mileage, nice sized trunk - all in a great fun in the sun package. I got the Limited edition, which had every available option including an Auto-Stick (a stick shift without the clutch) and other bells and whistles, but they are not necessary. If possible, go for the model above the basic - not much more expensive but lots of good options. At the time I got my car, the JX was the base, JXi the upgrade, and Limited was the deluxe - not sure if it's still the same.

The car rides 4 comfortably - the leg room in the back is about typical for a convertible, which in the best case is not great. Two people can sit easily in the backseat - three would be pushing it. My car also has the bigger wheels and beefed up suspension package, which definitely improve the ride. The top is so easy - open two latches, press the down button, and you're done!

To get the best price, do your homework. Spring for the auto reports from Consumer Reports, which shows you the available models and options, with prices for each. Look out for hidden costs on the car installed by the dealer - STAY AWAY! Do NOT get their "rust-proofing" - it's little more than a spray-on and adds nothing to the value of the car.

I got my car from Ralph's Dodge in Prince Frederick and have had excellent service from them. The only problem I have had with the car was the drivers side visor kept popping out of the little hook thing. I took it back and it was fixed in less than 30 minutes. I also took advantage of their 0.9% financing, so look out for special deals like that. Over my 5 year loan, I pay less than $450 in interest.

Feel free to PM me with any questions! :)

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jetmonkey
For convertibles under 25k Consumer Reports recommends the Mazda Miata, the Toyota MR2 Spyder and the VW Golf. They weren't taken with the Camero, Mustang, Chrysler or Mitsubishi. Your experience may vary.

Consumer Reports rarely recommends a domestic made vehicle (Ford, Chevy, or Chrysler) - I have over a lot of miles in Chrysler products - several trucks and about a half a dozen cars. They have all been very good, reliable vehicles. I do subscribe to Consumer Reports, but I think they are very slanted against any of the big three autos. Again, my personal opinion and experience over the years. :)

Last edited:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Originally posted by David

- If you're female, get a mature male to go with you so you don't get taken advantage of.

That is too funny. When I buy a car, I bring my *sister*. I'm a pushover, even when I know what a good price is - but she can be MEAN. I want to be diplomatic, she'll be melodramatic.

However, I always think bringing another disinterested party along is a good idea - someone to keep you from looking like you really want the car.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
My two cents

I bought an 02 Mustang last fall. I got the V-8 coupe and I love it! :D I did look at the Sebring but I didn't drive one. My husband couldn't fit into either of the front seats comfortably because he's tall.

My advice would be to shop around, look, and drive. If your picky like me, go up on the brand name website (Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Ford, Chevy, etc.) and build your own. Then you will be able to locate the exact car you want and contact the dealer and get a price. This saves a lot of legwork.

It took me 2 weeks to locate a dealer who had my car. Sure, they will try and jerk you around once they get you in the door, but it's to be expected. My test drive and paperwork took 1 1/2 hours from the time we arrived and then we were out the door. Happy hunting and good luck. :)

SmallTown

Football season!
My wife has a 2001 Sebring Lxi with the upgraded V6. It is not a convertible (she said no when we went to get it.. argh) but it is still a nice car. And it has plenty of power. Especially considering we live in Southern Maryland and don't have any interstates anyways. I would highly recommend it. The convertible definately felt like more car than the Eclpise convertible

I looked at the Eclipse myself. It was a nice car, but at 6' tall I felt a little smashed in the front seat.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
One point about Chrysler Sebrings - the coupe and the convertible are completely different cars built on different platforms. I don't remember which is built on which platform, but a Sebring convertible is not a coupe with a ragtop.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Thank you so much for your advice. My fiancee wants a Mustang but with the V8 in it, its too expensive for what you get in my opinion. I don't like Ford at all so thats not an option for me. I usually go with foreign cars only but I was willing to try the Seabring. Thats my first choice but I am keeping my options open. Someone also recommended that I wait until October when the clearance cars are out. I might do that unless I find a great deal. Now all I have to do is find a way to get rid of my Rav 4. I am upside down on my loan so I am screwed. I do appreciate all your advice though.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I would love to buy a Honda/Acura but that costs more $$$ than I have right now plus I want a convertible. Like I said previously, I usually only buy foreign, but the seabring I might try and if I get burned, then I know to never do that again. They are kind of pricy but from what I have seen and heard they are worth it.

SxyPrincess

I don't think I'd ever buy a convertible, unless maybe I lived in say...Florida! :D I just think about being in an accident and having the car flip--scary! Not much "support" over your head. That and the thought of having someone slash the top.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Work the internet as well. Many of the car dealers have websites and you can do a lot of preliminary leg work right from the keyboard. Get prices from each of three or more area dealers and start working on them from the web until you get them down to a reasonable price.

I can tell you first hand it works!

Also you might try out of state dealers as well. Someone I worked with bought a new truck in Tennessee for 1800.00 less than anyone around this area would give him. He then drove down on a weekend and picked it up.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Whatever you do, just don't buy a PT Cruiser.
Every idiot I encountered on the highways this past weekend was in a PT Cruiser!

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Don't even get me started on cars! I make fun of so many--I wouldn't want to offend anyone on here. :lol:

Well, when given a choice, I much prefer my Bentley to my Olds, but my Rolls-Royce is still my favorite!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
I make fun of so many--I wouldn't want to offend anyone on here. :lol:
Awww, go ahead...then you can join me in the corner.:p