To those of you who have seen my dining room...

Should I turn my dining room into a pub?

• Of course - duh!

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • No - it's too tacky

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...and even those who haven't (although those who've seen it will have more weight attached to their opinion):

I want to get rid of my dining room table, which we never use, and turn my dining room into a pub. Put a bar in with a keg for draft beer, two four-tops and some kitschy artwork. The rest of the furniture in the room will get gone - into another room or just plain gone.

The walls are a deep red with hardwood floors, so decor isn't a problem. It's right off my kitchen, so I wouldn't need a wetbar or anything like that.

What do you think? Poll coming...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, how stupid. I submitted the poll without checking the option to have votes be public. :doh:

MMDad

Lem Putt
vraiblonde said:
...and even those who haven't (although those who've seen it will have more weight attached to their opinion):

I want to get rid of my dining room table, which we never use, and turn my dining room into a pub. Put a bar in with a keg for draft beer, two four-tops and some kitschy artwork. The rest of the furniture in the room will get gone - into another room or just plain gone.

The walls are a deep red with hardwood floors, so decor isn't a problem. It's right off my kitchen, so I wouldn't need a wetbar or anything like that.

I think I know the answer to the question that matters, but I'll ask anyway. What does Larry want?

If he says yes, do it. If he says no, don't do it, but I'd have to ask if he still has testicles.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
MMDad said:
I think I know the answer to the question that matters, but I'll ask anyway. What does Larry want?
Of course he wants the pub. It was my idea but he quickly latched onto it and started making suggestions.

The idea is that we'll have seating for 8 (the four-tops) and seating at the bar (2 or 3), then have a TV mounted in the corner.

Angel

~*~*~
I don't know what your place looks like, but if space permits it sounds like a neat idea. I voted yes! :yay:

MMDad

Lem Putt
vraiblonde said:

The idea is that we'll have seating for 8 (the four-tops) and seating at the bar (2 or 3), then have a TV mounted in the corner.
Sounds like a great place for your kids to bring their friends and get drunk until you get home from work! :lol:

What you are describing is exactly what I want to do to my basement in about 7 years when the kid situation allows. Do it!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You said...

vraiblonde said:
Of course he wants the pub. It was my idea but he quickly latched onto it and started making suggestions.

...you wanted to sell the dining room table and get an storage island kinda thing. I said, 'how about 4 tops and a bar'. Then the hole 4top/bar/art on the wall/kitten pelt rug/TV thing came into perspective.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
When we were in Iceland, we had a bar. The real thing...nice wood cabinet in back and beautiful bar/stools. The noveltly wore off pretty quickly. But, if that's what you want, you should do it.

I think it would be a good idea to have a "lounge", as opposed to a "bar". Comfy chairs with tables for ####tails, nice sound system, flat screen tv...but that's just me.

I am a definate 'YES' for the pub idea. I am all for utilizing the rooms in a home to the best of your advantage. It's a waste to have a complete room that is rarely used.

What does your dining room set look like... I may be in the market...:whistle:

smoothmarine187

MMDad said:
I expected you to tell them they need a stripper pole.

lol...damn...I must be off my game today. Actually I'm trying to do the same thing in my basement....so I took it seriously. I already have a kegerator...I just need to finish it.

elaine said:
I think it would be a good idea to have a "lounge", as opposed to a "bar".
Agreed... that is why I said "pub" and not outright "bar". A pub is more lounge with a bar accent.

Kerad

vraiblonde said:

Ummm...will you invite Democrats over to discuss the politcs of adlut beverages at said bar? I'll behave. Even wear a Nixon mask if I must...it sounds nice. :yay:

Kerad

My best friend's Mom has a "pub" in the ex-family room. It's all "1970's" red velvet retro...something right out of the Playboy Mansion. The greatest room in the house! :yay:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I think it is a cool idea....Especially the Four Tops...They would be some nice entertainment too....Didn't they do "Sugar Pie Honey"? :coffee: You could always turn it back if you didn't like it....I say "Just Do It" and invite us up for drinks and we'll all give you our opinion....I really liked the Four Tops... :howdy:

signora

vraiblonde said:

The Pub idea is nice and I know people that have them, but they are usually in a Florida Room/den or a basement. I don't know what type of house you have, but it depends on the set up. I do think a dining room sets the house off where it can give it that nice rich look especially if it's a Cherrry Wood set and how it is decorated.

You basically need to look at it as - do you really think it will get more use being a Pub then a dining room? It's your house and you have to look at it everyday. If you think it's something that you want then do it - if you don't like it, you can always switch it back.