My dog is wheezing

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Kind of that raspy congested sound. It just started. Any ideas or should I just plan my day around a vet visit?

J

jaybeeztoo

bresamil said:
Kind of that raspy congested sound. It just started. Any ideas or should I just plan my day around a vet visit?

A friends dog recently had that...the vet said it was going around. She had to be put on two medications. At least call the vet and tell them the symptoms. I don't think the dog even needed to go in, they had heard so much about the symptoms that they just filled the meds.

Keep us posted :yay:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
jaybeeztoo said:
A friends dog recently had that...the vet said it was going around. She had to be put on two medications. At least call the vet and tell them the symptoms. I don't think the dog even needed to go in, they had heard so much about the symptoms that they just filled the meds.

Keep us posted :yay:
Good idea. She hasn't been around other dogs though. She's had the kennel cough meds.... She may just be reacting to the crazy weather or getting an allergy, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

J

jaybeeztoo

bresamil said:
Good idea. She hasn't been around other dogs though. She's had the kennel cough meds.... She may just be reacting to the crazy weather or getting an allergy, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The dog I speak of was not around others either. Checking with a friend right now to see if she remembers the name of the meds. It just started one day. Sounds like a "whooping cough"? Kind of like they want to spit somethng up, but can't. Very dry cough.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
bresamil said:
My dog had similar symptoms last year. Hadn't been around any other dogs and had the kennel cough vaccine. Turns out he had a respiratory infection. :shrug: They prescribed antibiotics and he was better almost immediately.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Nickel said:
My dog had similar symptoms last year. Hadn't been around any other dogs and had the kennel cough vaccine. Turns out he had a respiratory infection. :shrug: They prescribed antibiotics and he was better almost immediately.
:ohwell: She sounds more "wet". Close to how I sounded when I had pneumonia. Come to think of it she has sounded this way before but was sleeping. I thought she was snoring.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
bresamil said:
:ohwell: She sounds more "wet". Close to how I sounded when I had pneumonia. Come to think of it she has sounded this way before but was sleeping. I thought she was snoring.
My dog sounded like he had asthma or something, and he had a lump in his throat...I initially thought he'd swallowed something. It came on very quickly.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Nickel said:
My dog sounded like he had asthma or something, and he had a lump in his throat...I initially thought he'd swallowed something. It came on very quickly.
You mean like swollen glands? I just checked her and didn't find anything. Oh and her nose is cold and wet - healthy right?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
bresamil said:
You mean like swollen glands? I just checked her and didn't find anything. Oh and her nose is cold and wet - healthy right?
A lump where his Adam's Apple would be. I don't remember much, because I noticed it and we had him at the vet's office within the half hour (luckily it was in the middle of the day, so I could get him in).

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Well today there's not a bit of the noise, she's driving the cat crazy (sure sign she's feeling good), eating, drinking, and now taking her morning nap - with no snoring.
Called the vet anyhow and they said she didn't need to come in unless it comes back but I made her an appointment for Monday anyhow. The kids will be back and someone can sit with her in the car until they call her name. She's doesn't behave well in the waiting area with the other dogs - fine with cats, but not dogs.

S

StrwberryKisses

bresamil said:
Well today there's not a bit of the noise, she's driving the cat crazy (sure sign she's feeling good), eating, drinking, and now taking her morning nap - with no snoring.
Called the vet anyhow and they said she didn't need to come in unless it comes back but I made her an appointment for Monday anyhow. The kids will be back and someone can sit with her in the car until they call her name. She's doesn't behave well in the waiting area with the other dogs - fine with cats, but not dogs.

Glad she seems to be better. Keep everyone posted on what the Vet says if you end up taking her. GL.... :howdy: