Thread: Vera Freeman

Vera Freeman

In today's Washington Post obituaries there is a notice that Vera Freeman of Lusby died January 23. I hadn't heard that she was sick. I was so sorry to read this. She was an institution in Calvert County even though she sold the restaurant/marina. I am assuming the obituary was for the same Vera Freeman.

somdebay
    I had heard she was sick and wasn't doing too well, but I had no idea she had passed.

Does my butt look big? Pasofever's Avatar

RIP

She was a very interesting and unique woman.
    If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you. - Winnie the Pooh

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men. - Emile Zola

Quote Originally Posted by cattitude
    RIP

I was lucky to meet her years ago, but never was able to converse with her long. I'm sure she had many tales.
    Hark, now hear the sailors cry
    Smell the sea and feel the sky
    Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic~~

Quote Originally Posted by CableChick
    I was lucky to meet her years ago, but never was able to converse with her long. I'm sure she had many tales.

That she did.

I tended bar at White Sands for a while about a hundred years ago. She is every bit as interesting as you'd think.
    --
    Well, it's been in your mouth for like, three hours. It feels like it's full of water.

Quote Originally Posted by cattitude
    RIP

I agree!
    In 1994, I bought a book, Maryland's Vanishing Lives, by John Sherwood (Johns Hopkins University Press). There was a piece on Vera in it, so, soon after I got the book, I took it over to White Sands and asked her to autograph her photograph in the book, which refers to her as "Empress of the White Sands." I went to the restaurant frequently just to see her and soak up the atmosphere and beauty of "Veraland". We've lost a very special lady.

If you ever come across a copy of the book in a used book store, I urge you to buy it.

somdebay
    Quote Originally Posted by 'SkinsFan
    I agree!
    In 1994, I bought a book, Maryland's Vanishing Lives, by John Sherwood (Johns Hopkins University Press). There was a piece on Vera in it, so, soon after I got the book, I took it over to White Sands and asked her to autograph her photograph in the book, which refers to her as "Empress of the White Sands." I went to the restaurant frequently just to see her and soak up the atmosphere and beauty of "Veraland". We've lost a very special lady.

If you ever come across a copy of the book in a used book store, I urge you to buy it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Marylands-Vanish...QQcmdZViewItem

A local legend in her own. RIP Vera...

Legacy Pix

Quote Originally Posted by 'SkinsFan
    I agree!

I don't mean to engage in shameless commerce but, I have several copies of this book in my shop, if anyone is interested, pm me.
    (I realize this is an old post, but I just came across it).

My best,
    Joe