Northbound Rt. 5 in Waldorf?

'SkinsFan

Can anyone please tell me what's going in the huge cleared area, northbound side of Route 5, right after the intersection of Mattawoman-Beantown Road? Whatever it will be--with the lack of any zoning plans in Charles County--I'm sure it will create a huge traffic screw-up.

HunterJJD

[QUOTE='SkinsFan]Can anyone please tell me what's going in the huge cleared area, northbound side of Route 5, right after the intersection of Mattawoman-Beantown Road? Whatever it will be--with the lack of any zoning plans in Charles County--I'm sure it will create a huge traffic screw-up.[/QUOTE]
I guess you are talking about the area SOUTH of beantown road but on the north bound side of rt5. If so it has been a gravel pit for years

HunterJJD said:
I guess you are talking about the area SOUTH of beantown road but on the north bound side of rt5. If so it has been a gravel pit for years
My guess is they are talking about the farm on the right side of the road as you go north, just AFTER the Beantown light. They are in the process (or atleast they were last seekend, may be finished by now) of tearing down the house and barns on the property. That will most likely be more businesses. Doubt it's zoned residential since that side of the road is all commercial from the next property all the way down to 301.

Attachments

• mattawoman beantown property.bmp
    213.9 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
huntr1 said:
My guess is they are talking about the farm on the right side of the road as you go north, just AFTER the Beantown light. They are in the process (or atleast they were last seekend, may be finished by now) of tearing down the house and barns on the property. That will most likely be more businesses. Doubt it's zoned residential since that side of the road is all commercial from the next property all the way down to 301.

Are you talking about the Curtis farm? :confused:

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Once again the county of Chuck has given me yet another reason to leave. I might as well move back to NYC. The amount of deforestation is unbelieveable yet you keep reading how the local polititianswant to stop the growth that has taken over the Waldorf area. Before you know it I will have a Wawa in my culdesac!!!!

robbie

It's pretty bad when your teenager notices that all the trees are being removed. This land is right across from Thos. Stone HS. Hope its not a lot of retail. SKIP! SKIP!
I used to have a McDonalds across from my HS in Alexandria. We would even see the teachers in there at lunch. They must have made a killing on our school alone.

robbie said:
It's pretty bad when your teenager notices that all the trees are being removed. This land is right across from Thos. Stone HS. Hope its not a lot of retail. SKIP! SKIP!
I used to have a McDonalds across from my HS in Alexandria. We would even see the teachers in there at lunch. They must have made a killing on our school alone.

I don't know of a McDonald's across from any high school in Alexandria. We had to drive down Seminary Road to Duke St. to get to McDonalds. But if you wanted Roy Rogers, that was just down the street.

robbie

Went to Edison HS on Franconia Road. McD's across the street. Was a long time ago. Wonder if that McDs still there. Loved the area and worked there but when got married, who could afford the houses. I hear Edison won everything in football this year and basketball is on a roll.

robbie said:
Went to Edison HS on Franconia Road. McD's across the street. Was a long time ago. Wonder if that McDs still there. Loved the area and worked there but when got married, who could afford the houses. I hear Edison won everything in football this year and basketball is on a roll.

Ahhh, okay. Yes, you're right. And the skating rink down the street right?

rdkarob

flomaster said:
Once again the county of Chuck has given me yet another reason to leave. I might as well move back to NYC. The amount of deforestation is unbelieveable yet you keep reading how the local polititianswant to stop the growth that has taken over the Waldorf area. Before you know it I will have a Wawa in my culdesac!!!!

Once again....you are right, but where do you go? Crime rate in St. Mary's is escalating as in the northern part of Calvert. Sure, could go to Southern Calvert but what a long drive anywhere. Stinks huh? I loved growing up in Charles County. Now I am pulling my kid out of the school system and into private. Terrible!!!!!

robbie

Yep. Walked from Rose Hill Drive to school and back every day then went skating Friday and Sat. night. Dad would give us $5 and that would get us in and skates and food. Those were the days (lord am I old.) I am afriad to let my daughter out the front yard. We would walk to skate and back in the dark cutting through Rose Hill shop. center. Boy, are those days OVER!!

Thor

rdkarob said:
Once again....you are right, but where do you go? Crime rate in St. Mary's is escalating as in the northern part of Calvert. Sure, could go to Southern Calvert but what a long drive anywhere. Stinks huh? I loved growing up in Charles County. Now I am pulling my kid out of the school system and into private. Terrible!!!!!

Northern Calvert is still nice and quiet. You just need to get far enough away from Rt4.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
rdkarob said:

Heading south on 301 towards Newburgh and the Mechanicsville area of Wicomico are still fairly unmolested. Of course when you forget the milk when you live out there you are screwed!!! :lmao:

Thor

flomaster said:
Heading south on 301 towards Newburgh and the Mechanicsville area of Wicomico are still fairly unmolested. Of course when you forget the milk when you live out there you are screwed!!! :lmao:

Not if your wife is lactating.

'SkinsFan

huntr1 said:

Yes, that's the property. It's a huge chunk of land. I can just see them putting in a busy fast food restaurant--or maybe six--just to screw up the traffic on Route 5 even more. Thanks a lot for the map!
Also noticed the sign yesterday for a new housing development on what used to be the Bowling Farm, on the corner of Route 488 and 5--just as you turn right off of 488 to head south on 5. All of these new housing developments and businesses are making me sick--at least others here feel the same way I do. I hate what's happening to the County.

robbie said:
Yep. Walked from Rose Hill Drive to school and back every day then went skating Friday and Sat. night. Dad would give us $5 and that would get us in and skates and food. Those were the days (lord am I old.) I am afriad to let my daughter out the front yard. We would walk to skate and back in the dark cutting through Rose Hill shop. center. Boy, are those days OVER!!

Do you know a guy by the name of Mark Ardizonne?

robbie

No. I was class of 83'
We moved over here in Brandywine in 89 for the TAG magnet schools, then went to Waldorf in 91 because PG got so bad. Now we can't wait to go further out. Its different when you don't have to worry so much about the schools. I have friends who's kids have 1 or 2 years to go....they're oughta here after that.

robbie said:
No. I was class of 83'
We moved over here in Brandywine in 89 for the TAG magnet schools, then went to Waldorf in 91 because PG got so bad. Now we can't wait to go further out. Its different when you don't have to worry so much about the schools. I have friends who's kids have 1 or 2 years to go....they're oughta here after that.

He graduated in between 80 and 81. Worth a try.

[QUOTE='SkinsFan]Yes, that's the property. It's a huge chunk of land. I can just see them putting in a busy fast food restaurant--or maybe six--just to screw up the traffic on Route 5 even more. Thanks a lot for the map!
Also noticed the sign yesterday for a new housing development on what used to be the Bowling Farm, on the corner of Route 488 and 5--just as you turn right off of 488 to head south on 5. All of these new housing developments and businesses are making me sick--at least others here feel the same way I do. I hate what's happening to the County.[/QUOTE]
Saw the perc test holes 2 years ago on what you are calling the Bowling Farm and knew it was getting developed.

The farm where the leaders of the "Save Hughesville" (or whatever that anti-stadium group was called) live is covered in perc test holes. Has been since before they formed Save Hughesville. That's why I say they are just a couple of hypocrites. They don't want to Save Hughesville, they want to Build Out Hughesville by turning their neighborhood into yet another cookie cutter subdivision.