Sidney Sheldon has died at the age of 89.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Sidney Sheldon (born February 11, 1917January 30, 2007) is an American screenwriter and novelist.
Sheldon was born Sidney Schechtel in Chicago, Illinois to a German Jewish father and a Russian Jewish mother. His career began in 1937 in Hollywood, California, where he reviewed scripts and collaborated on a number of B-movies. After a stint in the military as a pilot in the War Training Service, a branch of the Army Air Corps, during World War II, Sheldon returned to civilian life and began writing musicals for the Broadway stage while continuing to write screenplays for both MGM Studios and Paramount Pictures.

Over the years, Sheldon has written for television, film, and stage, winning an Academy Award for Writing Original Screenplay (1947) for The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer, a Tony Award (1959) for his musical Redhead, and earned Emmy nominations for his work on I Dream of Jeannie, an NBC sitcom. Additionally, he created The Patty Duke Show and the ABC mystery series Hart to Hart

In 1969, Sheldon wrote his first novel, The Naked Face which earned him the Best First Novel Edgar Allan Poe Award from the Mystery Writers of America. His next novel, The Other Side of Midnight, went to #1 on the New York Times bestseller list as did several ensuing novels, a number of which were also made into motion pictures or TV miniseries. He has struggled with bipolar disorder for years; he nearly committed suicide at 17.

Sindey Sheldon died on January 30, 2007. He was 89. The cause of his death is not yet known.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Sheldon
BREAKING NEWS: Sidney Sheldon, who won awards in three careers — Broadway theater, movies, television — then at age 50 turned to writing best-selling novels about stalwart women who triumph in a hostile world of ruthless men, has died. He was 89.

Sheldon died Tuesday afternoon of complications from pneumonia at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, said Warren Cowan, his publicist of more than 25 years. His wife, Alexandra, and his daughter, author Mary Sheldon, were by his side.

"I've lost a longtime and dear friend," Cowan said. "In all my years in this business, I've never heard an unkind word said about him."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16896461/