St Mary's county building permit

wintersprings

Any builders out there.

I have my new home permit on hold for this: "On hold, engineered erosion and sediment control plan required since the proposed disturbance is within the 100 ft critical area buffer" from SOIL CONSERVATION DIST input to my permit.

Any recommendations? What do I do? Wait? Or what?

Some data: Replacing existing house, in buffer 1080 sqft, with one that only 999 sq ft in buffer.

No tree's removed, or any other dig out side existing house outline.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
You'll have to call Land Use and Growth Management (LUGM,* heavy on the ugh*) to get this clarified. You may need to show a written sediment control plan in order for your permit to be released.

GOOD LUCK

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
wintersprings said:
Any builders out there.

I have my new home permit on hold for this: "On hold, engineered erosion and sediment control plan required since the proposed disturbance is within the 100 ft critical area buffer" from SOIL CONSERVATION DIST input to my permit.

Any recommendations? What do I do? Wait? Or what?

Some data: Replacing existing house, in buffer 1080 sqft, with one that only 999 sq ft in buffer.

No tree's removed, or any other dig out side existing house outline.

Sound's like your just caught up in the new building 'code'. Thank god! Is the location of the home's "footprint" on a piece of property with an incline? That is what comes to my mind for the issue. An incline that will result in some type of run off maybe into a 'critical buffer'??? I'm guessing. ... (only because the class I am taking makes my mind work overtime in relation to real estate)

wintersprings

House sits on top of hill, 20 ft up from water, so the slope is there.

Any ideas on what they require?

Putting in a swell to catch water would mean a second disturbance in the 100 ft buffer. For minimal impact on the Buffer, I actually moved the house back by 1 ft.

Can’t see where this helps the environment at all. Its where the septic is located, that makes the impact. And that’s not being moved, as its on the street side of the house where it should be.

riverrat

We build a new home last year, I think our surveyor did most of that type of thing, I'd ask them or at least ask them who to call. Here's the kicker, they are afraid of a little dirt entering the river (I know this really is a real concern), but they'll allow Mirant (Morgantown Generating Plant) to pour tons of coal and dust into the river. Just doesn't make since :wench: , now does it?

watercolor

yeah yeah
You need to get the engineere to reword some things on the site plan, and a couple of markings and resubmit it. You should be good to after that.

wintersprings

watercolor said:
You need to get the engineere to reword some things on the site plan, and a couple of markings and resubmit it. You should be good to after that.

Thanks, I will go in and see what extra stuff they want on the site plan. As it is the site plan is pretty full, hope they can read any changes or additions.

wintersprings

I called and they just want "engineered erosion and sediment control plan " from my surveyer.

Any hints on cost? Or time to get one done?

Cowgirl

wintersprings said:
I called and they just want "engineered erosion and sediment control plan " from my surveyer.

Any hints on cost? Or time to get one done?

I just found this thread. I work for Queen Anne's Soil Conservation District. I recommend calling the St. Mary's district office and talking to them about it, since they're the ones who put the hold on it, most likely. They can make you a plan, or give specifics for what you need to do.

It's not just the soil that they're worried about. It's also fertilizers and other chemicals that could possibly end up in the water. The critical area is just that....those rules are in place for a good reason. Building causes so much disruption to the soil, they just want to make sure you take the proper precautions when building.

wintersprings

Thanks. I will go to the Surveyor. I am replacing a house in just about the same footprint, so no new disturbances that were not already there.

Heck, the last Hurricane that went through took down 2 trees, making way more of an impact than I will be making. I also had a Beaver come in, and cut trees down. Again Mother nature is much harder on this poor land than I am.