Bunny Question

N

nitwhit3286

This morning, I called my mom only to find out that her little bunny Hazel's leg is broken. When my mom went to pick up the bunny from his cage he slammed his little head into his cage...dunno why..I am guessing he was flippin out because he was in so much pain. No idea how this happened. Last night he was fine....Like I said, when my mom picked up the bunny his little leg just flopped.. has anyone else dealt with this before???

Cowgirl

nitwhit3286 said:
This morning, I called my mom only to find out that her little bunny Hazel's leg is broken. When my mom went to pick up the bunny from his cage he slammed his little head into his cage...dunno why..I am guessing he was flippin out because he was in so much pain. No idea how this happened. Last night he was fine....Like I said, when my mom picked up the bunny his little leg just flopped.. has anyone else dealt with this before???

Depending on where the leg is broken, she may be able to splint it herself. I recommend taking the bunny to the vet. What kind of flooring does the cage have? If it's wire (most likely is), are the holes big enough for the legs to slip through? What kind of rabbit and how old?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Bunnies do NOT do well under stress....ie broken leg he probably flipped out in his cage something scared him and he got a nail caught etc...he will probably NOT make it sorry to say..stress and bunnies do not get along..Surgery usually they will NOT survive either..sorry..good luck..I would say you should contact a vet (superbowl sunday good luck) he might be dead by Monday or let nature take its course..or you could help him along..again sorry to be negitive but I raised rabbits for YEARS....

N

nitwhit3286

Cowgirl said:
Depending on where the leg is broken, she may be able to splint it herself. I recommend taking the bunny to the vet. What kind of flooring does the cage have? If it's wire (most likely is), are the holes big enough for the legs to slip through? What kind of rabbit and how old?

It is his hind leg...yes it is a wire cage...and..maybe the holes are big enough to let his little leg get caught in the bottom. I want to say he is a miniature rex...and he is 5 mo. old..maybe a little older.

Cowgirl

Pasofever said:
Bunnies do NOT do well under stress....ie broken leg he probably flipped out in his cage something scared him and he got a nail caught etc...he will probably NOT make it sorry to say..stress and bunnies do not get along..Surgery usually they will NOT survive either..sorry..good luck..I would say you should contact a vet (superbowl sunday good luck) he might be dead by Monday or let nature take its course..or you could help him along..again sorry to be negitive but I raised rabbits for YEARS....

Yes, this is true, but please don't let him suffer. Being that young and small, I'm sure his leg slipped through the cage wires. Try to call a vet, or take it to an emergency clinic. Don't just let it suffer. If you can't find or afford the vet, it's not hard to put it down yourself. I can explain if you want, but PM me, I don't want to write it on here.

N

nitwhit3286

Pasofever said:

Oh no, I can't tell my mom he is going to die. That would break her heart....this is the second bunny she has owned..the first one just got sick..I don't know if it was the papaya pills she was feeding him or what..but he passed..and it still bring a tear to her eye when she talks about him..and this one she has now...is maybe 6 mo. old if not younger.....and yes no vets..except the emergency one..and they no nothing of bunnies. I don't know what she is going to do...really sad..I am trying to stay positive for her.

Cowgirl

nitwhit3286 said:
Oh no, I can't tell my mom he is going to die. That would break her heart....this is the second bunny she has owned..the first one just got sick..I don't know if it was the papaya pills she was feeding him or what..but he passed..and it still bring a tear to her eye when she talks about him..and this one she has now...is maybe 6 mo. old if not younger.....and yes no vets..except the emergency one..and they no nothing of bunnies. I don't know what she is going to do...really sad..I am trying to stay positive for her.

:confused: Why was she feeding papaya pills? What happened to the first rabbit? What was she feeding it?

No vets? So what is your mom going to do? Just let it suffer?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
nitwhit3286 said:
.I don't know if it was the papaya pills she was feeding .

NO this has nothing to do with it...sorry..

Is he a house bunny? I have a bunny we can talk about possibly ...hate to tell her but he will die of stress soon..

N

nitwhit3286

Cowgirl said:
:confused: Why was she feeding papaya pills? What happened to the first rabbit? What was she feeding it?

No vets? So what is your mom going to do? Just let it suffer?

With the first bunny she fed him a papaya pill every day...she heard they were good for them....this first rabbit was a dutch and they had him for a little over 2 years....and this one..she says she will not pay 100 dollars to get his little leg fixed. From what she has been reading people have let their bunnies' broken legs heal on their own..give baby motrin for the pain and observe their output (urine and fecal matter). I just copied and pasted one of your posts.. she said it is cheaper to just put him down..oh my gosh...how sad.

N

nitwhit3286

Pasofever said:
NO this has nothing to do with it...sorry..

Is he a house bunny? I have a bunny we can talk about possibly ...hate to tell her but he will die of stress soon..

yes most definitely..inside rabbits....my mom blames herself something terrible about the last bunny passing.....and now look at the situation this bunny is in.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Cheaper to break his neck and eat him for dinner...sorry..

And I have a house rabbit too...here she is

Attachments

• PICTURE 009.jpg
    PICTURE 009.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 122
  • PICTURE 006.jpg
    PICTURE 006.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 134
  • PICTURE 014.jpg
    PICTURE 014.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 127
  • PICTURE 017.jpg
    PICTURE 017.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 135
  • PICTURE 015.jpg
    PICTURE 015.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 125
nitwhit3286 said:
yes most definitely..inside rabbits....my mom blames herself something terrible about the last bunny passing.....and now look at the situation this bunny is in.
I recommend that she NOT use the broken foot as her lucky rabbit's foot key chain.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Nitwhit...some rabbits can do fine with a broken leg. Unfortunately, broken legs are very common. They are expensive to fix but you can try to splint it yourself.

Below, I'm going to put some information for a woman who's done rabbit rescue for years. Give her a call and see what she recommends. While rabbits don't always do well with stress, you never know. She is a wonderful person and does wonders with pet and wild rabbits.

Carole Van Wie, President Bunny Magic
1309 Tongue Cove Dr.
Lusby, MD20657
410-326-6834

Here's her website http://www.bunnymagic.org

Good luck.

Last edited:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
That is a good idea consider giving her to the rescue and letting them foot the bill...plus they have alot of experience with rabbits I am sure..

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Pasofever said:
Wow they have some really cute bunnies on that site for adoption...

Yep..unfortunately people get bunnies because they're cute and have no clue what it involves to own one. :frown: She had a fairly small resuce when I first met her about 12 years ago. She actually has pretty good success with raising the wild babies, which is pretty amazing.