A question for the Police Officers....

daisykps

On another thread it was said the police will not write a ticket for another police officer nor for anyone in their family. It was mentioned of a teenaged girl going 20 miles OVER the speed limit but not ticketed because her family is an officer. Is this true???? Do you feel it is ethical???? I am very surprised and angered to think this practice is going on.

M

Mousebaby

It does happen. I know this because when I am in TN I can get away with a lot cause I have a cop in my pocket! BUT I don't do anything that ever requires his help. :howdy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Happens all the time. I remember being fairly disappointed when I first heard about it.

G

Gemmi

I'd be willing to bet it's true. I know a deputy sheriff and he will not give tickets to his friends or acquaintances if he happens to pull them over.

CMC122

Go Braves!
I have quite a few cop friends who have gotten plenty of tickets from other officers in other jurisdictions so no it's not all true:lol:

Pandora

CMC122 said:
I have quite a few cop friends who have gotten plenty of tickets from other officers in other jurisdictions so no it's not all true:lol:

:yeahthat: I am married to a police officer and worked with a police department for years and I got bolted on Rt. 210 (right there by the library where the speed limit goes from 50 to 40, my speed 53/40). Of course, I didn't pull the "I'm married to a cop and work for the cops" :blahblah: card But I did go to court, plead guilty and asked for community service. It was just my luck that the judge had a class room full of students from a local high school. He asked me what I did for a living.... so.... well.... I got the :nono: and you of all people should know better :nono: shame shame shame lecture from Judge Nalley.

I had to do 3 days of community service for a 2 day community service offense, just because. I thanked the judge and left the court room before he threw me in jail. :lmao:

BUT, there was a wife of a deputy there that went just before me. The officer that wrote the ticket stood up and said "we have no evidence in this case." Her speeding violation was dismissed (77/50 MPH zone). I knew all of this before I turned and headed for the door but it didn't change the fact that I was speeding. I know things have a way of coming back around and it just happened they did. That girl, that got off, went to her job and started :blahblah: bragging about how she got off on yet another speeding violation and a complaint was filed by one of her co-workers to the head of that officer's department. He got suspended for 3 days from duty for it.

As for me, community service was fun! :killingme

I hung out at the senior center for a day, the animal shelter, the homeless shelter and worked the suicide hotline. :peace:

PJumper

Gemmi said:
I'd be willing to bet it's true. I know a deputy sheriff and he will not give tickets to his friends or acquaintances if he happens to pull them over.

Maybe not all, but some do get free passes. My wife observed a co worker speeding past her on 235 and kind of reminded her about the speed limit but she braggingly said that "No problem, I will not get a ticket, I'm married to a cop. "

Mojo

My dad was a Police officer, and he received quite a few tickets from other Police officers.

ocean733

It's very true. My ex-husband's grandfather was ex-chief of police in New York and my ex has gotten out of a few things by using his grandfather's name.

It's unfortunate that some people use/abuse the "mens club"/courtesy that the police use with one another.

However, it's a common courtesy from one officer to another (Do you NOT expect that they would do that for one another?!)

My father is a retired Philly cop and my uncle is a Philly detective but I have never used their names when I was in PA.

Some people will.:shrug:

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
True for the most part, of course there are exceptions.

I was reading an article last week about a new police chief that got a DUI from one of his officers. He had been stopped about 20 mins earlier by another officer but was let go once the officer saw it was the chief. However, the next cop that pulled him over for driving erratically gave him the DUI.

http://www.thecoaststar.com/weekly/2007/01.25.07/arrest.html

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
Pandora said:
I hung out at the senior center for a day, the animal shelter, the homeless shelter and worked the suicide hotline. :peace:

That suicide hotline is a blast isnt it?
did you dare anyone?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
CMC122 said:
My dad is a retired police officer and I've rec'd a few tickets over the years. And I've always had MPD stickers on all my vehicles.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I heard of an incident when a cop got pulled over in VA, the cop doing the stopping was going to write him a ticket, so they told him that if he wrote them a ticket that they would write his name on the back of every ticket they wrote for any cop from his area.

They didn't get a ticket.

I also got stopped up North of Baltimore, in between Baltimore and Aberdeen.. They stopped a bunch of us, the one behind me in a white Bronco.. I was told to pull up, so he could get back in traffice (while they were writing my ticket).. Prior I watched the STATE trooper approach the car to write him a ticket, and the driver took out his badge and showed him ..

I asked him why the guy behind was being let go, what was so special that he wasn't going to get a ticket.. He told me to mind my own business, or I'd be getting more then just a ticket.

Otter

Nothing to see here
itsbob said:
Prior I watched the STATE trooper approach the car to write him a ticket, and the driver took out his badge and showed him ..

I asked him why the guy behind was being let go, what was so special that he wasn't going to get a ticket.. He told me to mind my own business, or I'd be getting more then just a ticket.

There's a reason that they keep their license right next to their shield. :whistle:

keekee

There was a local girl who had a license plate that said something like, "14skid". (I'm not positive on that number.) So I asked her what it meant, and her Dad was a dep. sheriff, the number corresponded to her Dad's patrol car #. :nono:

Last edited:
T

TeaBag Express

daisykps said:
On another thread it was said the police will not write a ticket for another police officer nor for anyone in their family. It was mentioned of a teenaged girl going 20 miles OVER the speed limit but not ticketed because her family is an officer. Is this true???? Do you feel it is ethical???? I am very surprised and angered to think this practice is going on.

It's true. They also don't write tickets for fire fighters. Writing tickets for other cops would create a bad envirnment. If you write tickets to other cops then they will be out to get you back with another ticket as payback.

Plus alot of them are friends with each other. Most people will not give somone they are friends with a ticket.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
TeaBag Express said:
Plus alot of them are friends with each other. Most people will not give somone they are friends with a ticket.
Hmmm, will they also let their friends get away with robbing banks or dealing drugs?