Charter school on Great Mills Rd?

jenbengen

Watch it
I saw a sign yesterday saying that a charter school was being built on Great Mills Rd. I have heard about it in passing but don't know anything about it. Anybody have any info on it? I'm just interested for curiosity's sake, I'm happy with my daughter's school.

DQ2B

It's supposed to open next school year. My understanding is that it will be very parent involved orientated, children will be various ages in classes and the learning atmosphere more geared toward a childs interests and creativity.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
According to a letter I received in the mail, the students selected to go to the school will be noticed in March.

pingrr

the county has changed the plans for this school. It is no longer scheduled to pen next year. They said there is to much traffic for the school. That reason doesn;t make sense but the opening of the school has been put off.

fredsaid2

I heard it's to be part of GMHS. Some LHS teachers have announced to their students they'll be leaving next year to teach in the charter school.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
My kids brought a questionairre home a few months ago about it. Something about, if they got it going, would I consider it for my children....

Someone told me recently that there was a deadline for them getting a lease on a building that they were about to miss. I forget the details, but apparently they needed a final lease by a certain date and if they didn't have it, the school wouldn't be budgeted for and therefore would be on the shelf for another year. I was told they were hustling to get the lease signed.

Now, there is another program out there that is sometimes confused with the charter school that has promised to notify those who are accepted in March. They call it the STEM Academy. :rolleyes: It is not an "academy" or a school at all, it is a Science/Math magnet program for 48 children in each grade startilng in 4th, 6th, and 9th grades. These kids would be housed in Lex Pk Elem, Spring Ridge Middle and Great Mills High School, but would be in an accelerated program focusing on Science, Technology Engineering and Math (STEM). The application deadline for that program is this coming Friday.

Dymphna

fredsaid2 said:
I heard it's to be part of GMHS. Some LHS teachers have announced to their students they'll be leaving next year to teach in the charter school.
See my post about the magnet program... There are two teachers at each level (elem, middle and high) who are the key instructors for the program... I went to open house but mostly paid attention to the elementary school part... I do remember that one of the high school teachers was already at GMHS, the other may have been from LHS.... :shrug:

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
This is interesting.. I blew my letter from them off as some new privatized school. But now that I'm reading a bit about it, it's a very interesting idea.. Putting the education of children more squarely in to the hands of teachers and parents sounds promising, but the finanicial burden makes the risk of mistakes and inadequecies more likely.

I'd be interested to know what direction the curriculum was taking. More art and music programs? Perhaps a broader range of math and science activiities to encourage kids to get more involved.

I see that there are charter schools in every state in the US and in several countries like New Zealand and Canada. Maybe the public schools would fare better if they were smaller like this. Definatly something to look in to.

fredsaid2

Dymphna said:
See my post about the magnet program... There are two teachers at each level (elem, middle and high) who are the key instructors for the program... I went to open house but mostly paid attention to the elementary school part... I do remember that one of the high school teachers was already at GMHS, the other may have been from LHS.... :shrug:

Your info makes sense. If it gets off the ground they will have an excellent Chem teacher!

Dymphna

fredsaid2 said:
Your info makes sense. If it gets off the ground they will have an excellent Chem teacher!
I don't think there's an "if" about this program. They've hired the teachers, invited applicants, purchased some of the equipment, etc. Most, if not all, of the funding is in place from grants and such.

Like I said, the applications for the students are due tomorrow.

Here's the info on this program: http://www.smcps.k12.md.us/offices/dci/STEM1206/index1.shtml

If you want to know who the teachers are, it's in the slide presentation from Feb 5th.