What is it with certain apartment complex's

watercolor

yeah yeah
I am very perturbed at this moment. It really angers me that these apartment complex managers, who have the resources to take care of their tennants do a piss poor job in doing so.

My friend Crystal lives in Spring Valley Apartments, and she has 2 little girls ages 4 and 3 and one on the way. Now what ticks me off, is that, the upstairs neighbors and the ones at the end of the hall are dirty. Plain and simple. I hate to say it but they are...and in turn causes roches. *sigh*
It has been reported and inspected numerous times, and still no one has made a concious effort to go and do anything about it. Its like they dont wanna bother with her.

Now I will give it...that she has a rent cut...and all...with housing assistance..but dont get me wrong, she has gotten herself off welfare (except that dept.) and it making it on her own and doing a wonderful job. But just because of this, I think they dont wanna acknowledge the fact that there is a real problem here.

She has tried literally everything, bombs, traps, bait,...*sigh* and she is very very frusterated, along with scared. With the new baby coming and all...and knowing how babies are...and the younger children...she wants something taken care of. I have even walked over to the office and raised hell, on this matter. Saying that something needed to be done, or that the health dept. would be called. The lady just looked at me like 'duh'. She and I are afraid, that while the girls are eating on their table, that a bug may fall into their plate and they may ingest it..or even the fact of them crawling on the girls...yuck!

Does ANYONE...have any adivice, on what I could possibly do to help her out. I have come to my wits end..and I am ready to try anything. Its not the fact that she cant stand up for herself, its the fact that I dont want my god-children living in an enviornment like so, and I dont want my best friend their either. Dont get me wrong, these apartments are nice...but...the tennats on assitance or not...need to be taken care of..they are human beings..not some meal or gambling ticket for the manager....

DarbyOhara

Musician
Well, it does sound pretty bad... and it's nice to know that she is strugglin to make it on her own... I hate to ask... but my fingers are taking over here... ok... stop!... NO! [they say]... lol Where is the father(s) of the 2 lil girls and the one on the way?

Now to your question... having lived all over the world while traveling with the military, or as a federal employee... I had my run-ins with roaches and bugs... Have you tried the bombs? They are like 4 dollars a three pack at Walmart.... remember that roaches will live in tight spots.. and people usually move and take them with them... if I were her... I would bomb the crap out of the apt... come back a few hours and air it out....

Also... roaches look nasty... but they don't like people and usually run... yeah, there are rumors and stories of them crawling in kids mouths to get the milk.. stuff like that.. around here.. I think there is more danger of spider bites then roaches...

Get da Bomb!

watercolor

yeah yeah
Well their father, has decided to be non-exsistant! He is just one of those low types that seem to want to do what he wants and not take responsiblity ever! But I will stop there, cause I mean in all praise, he could totally do ok, if he would just make a hard effort!

Enough on that

Omm yes, we have tried the bombs, and traps, and baits....

And no they dont seem to run...you would think they would...but they are around when people are in the room! it is like they think they are human or something. *ugh* Its sick!! I am tired of it.

I have a few comments here too.. My first suggestion is to pull out a copy of the lease. See if it says anything about them taking care of pest control. Secondly, document all conversations and actions taken with the Property Manager ( I should know) I was a Property Manager. The bug problem would fall under the right to live in an area that does not threaten life, safety, or health and bugs could definitely threaten the health of those children. Roaches will crawl over everything and into food containers.

Also having worked with Section 8 housing, your tenent has the right to call HUD.Write a letter to Health Department. Believe me HUD will come check it out. I would start with HUD. (Housing and Urban Development) They don't play. Hope this helps.....:)

I have a few comments here too.. My first suggestion is to pull out a copy of the lease. See if it says anything about them taking care of pest control. Secondly, document all conversations and actions taken with the Property Manager ( I should know) I was a Property Manager. The bug problem would fall under the right to live in an area that does not threaten life, safety, or health and bugs could definitely threaten the health of those children. Roaches will crawl over everything and into food containers.

Also having worked with Section 8 housing, your tenent has the right to call HUD.Write a letter to Health Department. Believe me HUD will come check it out. I would start with HUD. (Housing and Urban Development) They don't play. Hope this helps.....:)

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by Dalmationlady
Sorry for the double post .. I don't why it did that .. and I would be interested in knowing what happens with HUD.... ;)

Don't worry, I don't think that HUD will mind that you double-posted.
:D

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
Watercolor,
If you dont receive satisfaction with the apt manager and/or HUD , and wish to get rid of the roaches yourself , try to find some DEMON powder ... this is a very potent insecticide with absolutely no odor ... you can find it at self service pest control suppliers, or call some local pest control services and ask for it ... this stuff really works ( my dad used to be a bugman ) mix it 1 - 2 tablespoons per gallon of water, unscrew all the electrical outlets and spray it so that it runs down the inner walls of the apt, also spray it in every crack and crevice , esp . in the kitchen . This will create a " killer barrier " to discourage the roaches coming from the dirty apts . Mop up any spills on the floor so the children dont come in contact with it . Repeat this in about 3 days and monthly thereafter . I keep my diluted DEMON in a windex bottle and of course , as always , keep out of reach of the children :) Hope this helps .

Watercolor... I feel I should let you know this about Section 8 housing.. Property Managers cannot spray by law in apartments. It must be done professionally by a pest control company. (For liability reasons).

Secondly.. be careful what you spray or put out around small children.. they tend to put there hands in there mouth alot..

If a Property Manager has problems with people who cannot or will not live in a cleanly manner they do have the right not to renew a lease or evict for reasons of contributing to the right to a safe and healthy environment for their other residents.

Also if you use any bombing poison BE CAREFUL OF GAS... If can and has blown up houses before.

Getting rid of roaches and bugs is a long hard process most of the time.. but you have to get rid of the problem first .. GOOD LUCK !!!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I just wanted to say that boric acid works well to get rid of roaches. Be careful that children and pets don't get into it. When I lived in base housing I used to put it into a lid and slide it under the refrigerator.

DarbyOhara

Musician
Originally posted by Sharon
I just wanted to say that boric acid works well to get rid of roaches. Be careful that children and pets don't get into it. When I lived in base housing I used to put it into a lid and slide it under the refrigerator.

I kinda think you all missed the point from DalmationLady... There are rules and LAWS that landlords and tenants must follow... in accordance with HUD. I suggested an over-the-counter product, but it seems they already tried that. DalmationLady has worked in the area and gave the best advice... contact HUD and have them involved.. obviously the landlord don't care.. but WILL care if HUD is involved.. enough said...