Quality Horse Shoeing

Farrier

"Quality is like buying oats, If your Ok with oats that have aready been through the horse that comes cheap. But if you want nice clean oats well you must pay a fair price."

I have viewed some older threads on this forum and it is no wounder to me that most of you have issues with aquireing and or keeping a competant FARRIER. As for Horse Lady your son is selling himself short. Continuing education cost money and that cost needs to be passed on to the client and this includes you. If you want competant hoof care one has to continue there education and one can not become more competant with out passing the cost on. Bottom line the farrier that charges more, will likely be able to save you money In the long term by keeping your horse sound. This means less vet bills. Education is paramount, as we can not learn all there is to know about horses before we die there is to many variables.
Shoeing horses for a living is a CAREER NOT a hobby!!! Showing horses for most BUT NOT ALL is a HOBBY. With out farriers there would not be a horse industry NO FOOT NO HORSE and that is the bottom line. We are the foundation of the horse industry as we take care of the foundation of your horse.

Just food for thought. Maybe you will remember this the next time your farrier has come back and he/she has just attened a shoeing clinc and has not increased their prices. Knowlege has a value dose it not? This somthing 99% of horse owners lack when it comes to hoof care, but they know everything when it comes to horse trailers,saddles,bits ect. and neglect to educate themselves on what counts the most.
Thank you for listening, Mike
PS. the average farriers career is only 8 to 10 years.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Farrier said:
"Quality is like buying oats, If your Ok with oats that have aready been through the horse that comes cheap. But if you want nice clean oats well you must pay a fair price."

I have viewed some older threads on this forum and it is no wounder to me that most of you have issues with aquireing and or keeping a competant FARRIER. As for Horse Lady your son is selling himself short. Continuing education cost money and that cost needs to be passed on to the client and this includes you. If you want competant hoof care one has to continue there education and one can not become more competant with out passing the cost on. Bottom line the farrier that charges more, will likely be able to save you money In the long term by keeping your horse sound. This means less vet bills. Education is paramount, as we can not learn all there is to know about horses before we die there is to many variables.
Shoeing horses for a living is a CAREER NOT a hobby!!! Showing horses for most BUT NOT ALL is a HOBBY. With out farriers there would not be a horse industry NO FOOT NO HORSE and that is the bottom line. We are the foundation of the horse industry as we take care of the foundation of your horse.

Just food for thought. Maybe you will remember this the next time your farrier has come back and he/she has just attened a shoeing clinc and has not increased their prices. Knowlege has a value dose it not? This somthing 99% of horse owners lack when it comes to hoof care, but they know everything when it comes to horse trailers,saddles,bits ect. and neglect to educate themselves on what counts the most.

Mike, tell us about yourself! :howdy:

DQ2B

Farrier said:

I agree with you, though I do wish more farriers would investigate the so-called "barefoot movement" and continue their education in that direction as opposed to other and newer shoeing methods. There is nothing about a shoe that is condusive to the proper internal as well as external function of the hoof.

Farrier

DQ2B said:
I agree with you, though I do wish more farriers would investigate the so-called "barefoot movement" and continue their education in that direction as opposed to other and newer shoeing methods. There is nothing about a shoe that is condusive to the proper internal as well as external function of the hoof.

Bare foot has it's value just like any thing else. But is not the cure for the common cold. The bare foot movement is nothing more than B S. I am not aginst horses going bare foot in fact I have some improve when bare foot, but on the same note I have helped more horses with a well fit shoe that can better serve that individual horse. I have helped horses in one shoeing come sound after 18 plus months lamness under KC LaPeiar's (spelling?) Care.
There is a unbeliveable amount of BS involved in this type of hoof care.
NOT ALL HORSES CAN GO BARE FOOT!!!! Like I said I am not aginst it I just just see horses as individuals and just like you and me we have our own needs and they have theirs. What it comes down to is horses need traditional princapals with todays advances in farrier science in mind.Shoeing horses has come a very long way in the last 20 years.

Speaking of condusive in regards to shoeing vs. barefoot trimming in your opinon what would a barefooter or podiatrist do with a fractured pedal bone (coffin bone)?"
Mike

Farrier

Four*Leaf*Farm said:
Mike, tell us about yourself! :howdy:

I am a certified farrier with the American Farriers Assocation. I am experianced in the treatment of critical lameness in horses. you can visit my website at www.chesapeakeforgeinc.com my web site is under constuction at the time but I do have 3 pages finished and the photo album will be updated on a quarterly basis.
I just happened to come across this forum when building my site.
I do not want to make any enimies I just have a passion for educating horse owners on proper hoof care. If I am intruding on your forum please accept my appologies.
Mike

Loper

Animal Poor!
Farrier said:

I'll agree with you, I'm a horse owner and not a farrier and I'll pay higher prices for an educated farrier anyday! With any business, it comes down to you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a deal, don't go for the feet! Look in other areas you can diminish your cost's.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Farrier said:
I am a certified farrier with the American Farriers Assocation. I am experianced in the treatment of critical lameness in horses. you can visit my website at www.chesapeakeforgeinc.com my web site is under constuction at the time but I do have 3 pages finished and the photo album will be updated on a quarterly basis.
I do not want to make any enimies I just have a passion for educating horse owners on proper hoof care. If I am intruding on your forum please accept my appologies.
Mike

First welcome to the forum :howdy: :howdy: You are located in across the Bay Bridge?? Since we are in So. MD would you make the trek to this area? I tried to send this via Private Message, but being new you might not know how to retrieve those yet.

Sparks

Loper said:
I'll agree with you, I'm a horse owner and not a farrier and I'll pay higher prices for an educated farrier anyday! With any business, it comes down to you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a deal, don't go for the feet! Look in other areas you can diminish your cost's.

Amen to that! You keep my horses sound and I'll write the check. - within reason of course :nomoney:

Farrier

I am based on the easten shore when I am in maryland. But I travel the east coast from serving delmarva to Charlotte NC. and in the winter Fla.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Farrier said:
Bare foot has it's value just like any thing else. But is not the cure for the common cold. The bare foot movement is nothing more than B S. I am not aginst horses going bare foot in fact I have some improve when bare foot, but on the same note I have helped more horses with a well fit shoe that can better serve that individual horse. I have helped horses in one shoeing come sound after 18 plus months lamness under KC LaPeiar's (spelling?) Care.
NOT ALL HORSES CAN GO BARE FOOT!!!! Like I said I am not aginst it I just just see horses as individuals and just like you and me we have our own needs and they have theirs. What it comes down to is horses need traditional princapals with todays advances in farrier science in mind.Shoeing horses has come a very long way in the last 20 years.

Speaking of condusive in regards to shoeing vs. barefoot trimming in your opinon what would a barefooter or podiatrist do with a fractured pedal bone (coffin bone)?"
Mike

Obviously, some horses will always need to have shoes, depending upon what they are being used for or their hoof health. Yet, our farrier worked with us for 2 years on getting a 12 year old cutting (feedlot) horse from Texas that had serious hoof issues to now be barefoot. She is no longer a working horse but a pleasure trail rider (although we can't CONVINCE her of that). Through all the epoxy and shoeing, she is now barefoot and completely sound!

Farrier

Sparks said:
Amen to that! You keep my horses sound and I'll write the check. - within reason of course :nomoney:

What is with in reason? My base price is $145.00 for a full set of basic keg shoes w/ or with out clips, this price also includes any basic mods ie rolled toes,rocker toes,lateral support but excludes any prostesis ie pads, bar shoes ect.
Mike

Farrier

Loper said:
Obviously, some horses will always need to have shoes, depending upon what they are being used for or their hoof health. Yet, our farrier worked with us for 2 years on getting a 12 year old cutting (feedlot) horse from Texas that had serious hoof issues to now be barefoot. She is no longer a working horse but a pleasure trail rider (although we can't CONVINCE her of that). Through all the epoxy and shoeing, she is now barefoot and completely sound!
My point exactly some horse can go bare foot, but not all.

R

riderup

Farrier said:

Mike
I agree. Quality farrier/blacksmith care is a must, and well worth the money. Remember, 'no hoof, no horse'. Some people try to do their own shoeing and wind up making a huge mess, which only results in calling a farrier to come and fix it. I know of natural horsemanship gurus ( not all of them, but some ) who say no horse needs shoes. This is not the case. In depends on the horse, and a qualified farrier should decide this. Thanks for the worthwhile information.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Farrier said:
What is with in reason? My base price is $145.00 for a full set of basic keg shoes w/ or with out clips, this price also includes any basic mods ie rolled toes,rocker toes,lateral support but excludes any prostesis ie pads, bar shoes ect.
Mike

Reason would be the horse hoof itself! I don't need all the other crap, You may be adept at eveything you just listed, my horses just need to be trimmed!

Farrier

Loper said:
Reason would be the horse hoof itself! I don't need all the other crap, You may be adept at eveything you just listed, my horses just need to be trimmed!
Ok so you just need a trim thats fine I charge $40.00 for that and have a $250.00 min. to stop at a barn what else. I did not come on this forum to make enimes nor did I do it to gain any clients.
Mike

Farrier

Ok I just looked at my profile and realized that there is a recent karma recived section. The only NEGITIVE karma had the comment of "shut the fukc up idiot" on it. The thing is I don't care I may not be a wordsmith but I can out shoe and beat out that person on any equine limb anatomy knolwege.
So if I am an "idiot" please lets discus it. What A_S_S_S said that and can you answer this why do we shoe horses?If you can stump me on eqine anatomy of the limb and the different patholigies of the limb, I will leave the forum in which I am already inclined to do.Considering that today is the first real post I have made and already there is hostility.Like I said before I only want to help educate horse owners on hoof care. I do not want to gain any clients from this I have enough thank you. :biteme:

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Farrier any guidance and wisdom you can offer is appreciated and I'm sure the people that want to improve there horses quality of life and performance would agree. There is more then one way to skin a cat and people shouldn't be so narrow minded. No wonder we can't get more quality farriers in So. MD. :jameo:

R

riderup

Farrier said:
Ok I just looked at my profile and realized that there is a recent karma recived section. The only NEGITIVE karma had the comment of "shut the fukc up idiot" on it. The thing is I don't care I may not be a wordsmith but I can out shoe and beat out that person on any equine limb anatomy knolwege.
So if I am an "idiot" please lets discus it. What A_S_S_S said that and can you answer this why do we shoe horses?If you can stump me on eqine anatomy of the limb and the different patholigies of the limb, I will leave the forum in which I am already inclined to do.Considering that today is the first real post I have made and already there is hostility.Like I said before I only want to help educate horse owners on hoof care. I do not want to gain any clients from this I have enough thank you. :biteme:
I hope you don't leave the forum. We need more smart people on here with good information to spread around. You know your stuff and have alot to offer.

fredsaid2

Farrier said:

Karma is a crap-shoot, you can't take it seriously. Most, if not all, negative karma you'll receive on the horse boards will be from those cruising from the 'normal' boards. They're looking for you to openly complain, means you want to play.

I'm surprised you came away with a negative opinion of us and farriers. We treasure them. I've been a customer of mine for 8 years. I do my utmost to be on time and pay promptly. I genuinely like him and believe he does a great job. He’s followed me each time I’ve needed to change barns and works me into his schedule for that area. I’m often his only client at that barn and he’s never minded. He certainly doesn’t need me as a client yet treats my business as if it’s as important as any other. Can’t say enough good about him!

Except for your barn fee your charges seems to be competitive. I’m sure you’d have a nice list of clients if you could work the area into your schedule. Best of luck!

Unbelievable

Spay and Neuter Your Pets
Farrier said:
Mike

Okay, I looked at your website and certificates are impressive. However, let's get down to the basics. We have a lot of horses and have to spend a bit of time with the farrier. You appear to be good looking but can you post a few more pictures. Are you single? When you're thinking of making such a drastic change you really need all the facts! :howdy: