Recommend a Caterer?

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Can anyone recommend a caterer for my bridal shower? I am looking to do like appetizers and deserts and wanted to find someone local who will deliver and set up.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
All the bridal showers I've been to were a surprise for the bride.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by jeneisen
Can anyone recommend a caterer for my bridal shower? I am looking to do like appetizers and deserts and wanted to find someone local who will deliver and set up.

What type are you looking for. Did ya try looking on somdweddings.com under caterers? I mean they might have some listed

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Yes usually they do plan it but its not a surprise b/c of all the people who come from out of town plus we needed to pick a date that worked for me and my family.

As far as them planning it, they are doing most of the stuff, I just wanted to see if I could find someone to caterer cheaper than buying all the food. We are all kind of involved in the planning.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jeneisen
I just wanted to see if I could find someone to caterer cheaper than buying all the food.
:stooges:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
From what I'd assume, catering is ALWAYS going to be much more pricey than doing the food yourselves. Bridal showers are really simple, and not a big deal to put together at all. Have someone make (or get from a grocery store) a fruit tray and a veggie tray, and then have some family members and members of the bridal party each bring cookies, chix salad sandwiches, and things like that. My shower was recent, and it turned out very nicely - my girls all made something, so did my Mom and future MIL. Also, some members of my family each brought something, too. There was a veggie/fruit/cheese tray, chips, cookies, meatballs, chix salad sandwiches, peanuts, and other odds and ends. The only thing they didn't do themselves was the cake - they got that from Sugar Shack. It was all really nice!

They did a great job planning my shower themselves - I didn't get involved at all...which was FINE with me, lol. I have enough stuff to worry about than to deal with that too, and I knew they'd do a fabulous job.

The one thing I did do was to get corages for my bridal party, the mothers, and the grandmothers. I thought it was nice and made them stand out a little - they really liked it!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Jen, can I insult you for a minute? You aren't supposed to be planning or doing ANYTHING for your shower. It's tacky and in poor taste. Your bridesmaids are supposed to do that for you - it's like their gift to you. Your mother and future MIL are supposed to be wrangling the out of town guests and the bridesmaids job is to put together the location and food.

Your only role in your bridal shower is to show up, rake in the gifts and say, "Thank you! How wonderful!"

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Your only role in your bridal shower is to show up, rake in the gifts
...and you must wear the goofy hat made of bows for photos! :cheesy:

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Vrai,

Well maybe that works for most cases, but thats not how we do things in my family. Yes they are supposed to plan it and they are. They asked what I wanted. They also asked if I knew anyone to caterer it. Its not a suprise and it was never going to be. People do things different ways. The only thing I am tying to do is give them recommendations so they can roll with it. They asked me my opinion so I am trying to help. If they didn't want me involved I figured they wouldn't ask.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
And if they thought it was in poor taste then maybe they should not have asked me to begin with. I don't have any family here anymore, and my bridal party doesn't get along that well.

And Lauren,
Actually I called around to one caterer and got prices, in fact it is cheaper to have someone caterer it and make the food than to get like meat trays and stuff like that. I was surprised myself.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
And not only that, my MOH just moved here last year. She does not know the area. I don't understand what the big deal is. All I was asked was hey, do you know any good caterers. I said I would ask around. Thats it. I am not planning anything else. I helped pick the date, I said the location was fine, and I submitted a list of names of family to invite. Just like I was asked. Whats the big deal?