Verizon Begins Long-Distance Service in Maryland

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Posted - April 15, 2003 7:43am

The nation's largest local phone company will launch long-distance service Tuesday in Maryland.

Maryland's Public Service Commission approved Verizon's application in December, demanding that the company meet ten conditions.

Verizon is the nation's third-largest long-distance company.

As of Tuesday, Verizon is selling long-distance services in 48 states and Washington, D.C. It plans to begin long-distance service in West Virginia next month. Verizon does not offer the service in Alaska.

Some analysts and trade groups believe Verizon Communications' entry into the long-distance market will give consumers more choices and boost competition.

K

Kizzy

Some analysts and trade groups believe Verizon Communications' entry into the long-distance market will give consumers more choices and boost competition.

Plus, it gives the consumer the option to have 1 bill every month instead of two, as with AT&T. I just signed up with Vartec thanks to Sharon and I'm very happy. :cheers:

Ponytail

huh. I signed up with verizon across the board when I got my phone hooked up at the house a couple of weeks ago.

edit: doh...just checked the previous post dates...I'm a little behind the eight ball.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Ponytail
huh. I signed up with verizon across the board when I got my phone hooked up at the house a couple of weeks ago.

edit: doh...just checked the previous post dates...I'm a little behind the eight ball.

Did you go with the flat-fee package? Since we are now using in-state long distance for the most part (which is generally more expensive then regular LD, go figure) we got the $49 package which is unlimited local and LD, as well as caller id, call waiting, voice mail, and, uhm something else. Not a bad deal. And if you thrown in DSL in the package, its only $35 extra. So far no problems with any of the services! (crossing fingers).
Did verizon actually start doing something right????

alex

I hate Verizon and will definitely not give them any business other than local and I am looking to switch that too. I had a lot of problems with them and my first wireless account that took them three years to realize I had cancelled their contract and gone elsewhere.

Ponytail

Originally posted by willie
Use your cell phone for long distance.

That's what I plan on doing. I did that while i lived in GA...phone bill went from $200+ a month (long distance relationship) to $40/month