Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: FiOS coming to La Plata !

Can you ping me now? Good bfncbs1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaquin44
    OP, where are you getting this information?

can you link it?

Im sitting in dentsville (3 miles from where comcast ends on rt. 6) and would beg borrow and steal for internet that is not craptacular 28.8

Where at in Dentsville? I'm off Trinity Church near Dubois Rd. We are getting DSL this summer. Curious if your fed from the same feed as me.

Quote Originally Posted by bfncbs1
    True....DSL has limitations based on distance. Most areas have cable in La Plata.

Franchise agreement dictates cable. But most of La Plata is covered.
    I wish I was part of that most part. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by vanbells
    I wish I was part of that most part. Oh well.

I am sure it will not come West of LaPlata, probably to Port Tobacco, but that is it. there isn't even DSL past that point.
    :coffee:

Where at in Dentsville? I'm off Trinity Church near Dubois Rd. We are getting DSL this summer. Curious if your fed from the same feed as me.
    I'm two houses before Cookseys (heck I can't remember how to spell it lol) if you're driving away from LaPlata proper. So we're probably off the same feed.

I'm about 4 miles from where Comcast stops (Bel Alton Newton road)

how would we get DSL? we're not close enough to the wire center (next to Ledo's Pizza).

where are you getting this info?

If your info is correct I will cry from joy. 28.8 kills me a little more inside every time I try and mod part of my forums.

Can you ping me now? Good bfncbs1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaquin44
    I'm two houses before Cookseys (heck I can't remember how to spell it lol) if you're driving away from LaPlata proper. So we're probably off the same feed.

I'm about 4 miles from where Comcast stops (Bel Alton Newton road)

how would we get DSL? we're not close enough to the wire center (next to Ledo's Pizza).

where are you getting this info?

If your info is correct I will cry from joy. 28.8 kills me a little more inside every time I try and mod part of my forums.

I'm a manager with Verizon

We use existing RT's and add what is called a adtran to the remote terminals. This is how we reach more remote areas or areas that have a large population but aren't close to a central office.

Let me clarify on the FiOS offering. When I say La Plata I mean La Plata. Other towns and cities such as Nanjemoy, Port Tobacco, Welcome are not targeted for FiOS.....Only La Plata sorry

Back to your feed ....You are more then likely fed from Penns Hill Rd which would pretty much be a no go for DSL. Have you looked into EVDO? I have that now and it's great. The price is high but I would have to say quality of the service in wonderful. I average about 1.5m down and about 500K up which is better then the lowest DSL tier. DSl isgood obviously because o the price.

ahh EVDO is useless for gaming because of the cap =/

my mother was a manager for verizon too hehe she used to work out of the LaPlata branch a long time ago

about FIOS .... I'm in dentsville, but I have a LaPlata address .... any idea how far up Rt 6 FIOS will be going?

We use existing RT's and add what is called a adtran to the remote terminals. This is how we reach more remote areas or areas that have a large population but aren't close to a central office.

Let me clarify on the FiOS offering. When I say La Plata I mean La Plata. Other towns and cities such as Nanjemoy, Port Tobacco, Welcome are not targeted for FiOS.....Only La Plata sorry

Back to your feed ....You are more then likely fed from Penns Hill Rd which would pretty much be a no go for DSL. Have you looked into EVDO? I have that now and it's great. The price is high but I would have to say quality of the service in wonderful. I average about 1.5m down and about 500K up which is better then the lowest DSL tier. DSl isgood obviously because o the price.
    How about Englewood Drive?

bump for hope

lol @ hope

So what is Verizon's strategy for deploying FIOS? Is it the low hanging fruit first (condos, townhouses, densly populated areas), and the rest later? I tell you, I'm eager to drop Comcast for access to full digital television, not the pseudo-digital package that Comcast tries to portray as being 100% digital. Most of the channels still get to my residence in their analog format. bleh!

"Love thy neighbor"
    -Jesus H. Christ, the Original Liberal