Best kept secrets in Somd

jeneisen

Indy Bound
What I want to know is if anyone knows of any nice restaurants in our area that aren't well known but are very nice with good food. Also my B-Day is next week and we are looking for something to do. I was wondering if anyone knew of any places within a 4 hour drive that is a nice place to stay for the night and either shop, or have dinner that isn't very expensive. I am trying to stay away from Williamsburg and Baltimore. I am looking to start doing new things and I have been told there are a lot of things that aren't well known in this area.

DarbyOhara

Musician
Originally posted by jeneisen
What I want to know is if anyone knows of any nice restaurants in our area that aren't well known but are very nice with good food. Also my B-Day is next week and we are looking for something to do. I was wondering if anyone knew of any places within a 4 hour drive that is a nice place to stay for the night and either shop, or have dinner that isn't very expensive. I am trying to stay away from Williamsburg and Baltimore. I am looking to start doing new things and I have been told there are a lot of things that aren't well known in this area.

Damon's Damon's Damon's......... it's here and local... prices are as good as any other ritzy place...

It's close to a 3 or 4 hour drive... but up by harrisburg/hershey in PA... try a bed n' breakfast.... I am sure they can be found on the web... Being from the central PA... and raised in a small coal mining village... I had a bed n' breakfast my whole up-bringing... lol But, from what I understand, they are nice... nothing like being pampered by strangers... lol

G

giggles04

Originally posted by jeneisen

Nice restaurants in the area.... well, here's my recommendation.... there are: Scheible's in Ridge- nice food, guarenteed to come out hot, and right on the water... with not a lot of people; Evans'- great food!!! esp if you like Seafood; and the Tavern if you're looking for a fancy place.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I may try Evans. I didn't have a good experience last time I was there but it has been a couple of years. I don't want to try Damons for while. I refuse to wait for food for more than 20 minutes. The crowd will be too much for me. I will wait until its not new anymore then try it. I look at it like I get there hungry and I want to eat now, not wait. I'd rather go somewhere else than wait a long time for food.

G

giggles04

Evans has new management since probably the last time you were there. I haven't had any problems going there:) Food is always great. If you're going on a weekend, it might be a good idea to call ahead... but it'll definately be easier to get in there than Damons! At least for the next couple of months!

blueeyes76

evan's is one of the worst seafood restaurants in st. mary's. the food is not worth what you pay for it. oakwood lodge in piney point has excellent food, you may have to wait for a bit but the food is worth it.

also, there is a place in st. mary's city called brome howard that is really nice. it is a little expensive, but the atmosphere is great.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As far as "secrets", my vote goes to Oakwood Lodge. It's off the beaten path a bit but well worth the drive. Don't forget to save room for cheesecake after your meal...

G

giggles04

I do agree... Oakwood Lodge is another hidden treasure there on Lighthouse Rd. :) I had some really good raviolli when I was there last. :cheesy:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
As far as "secrets", my vote goes to Oakwood Lodge. It's off the beaten path a bit but well worth the drive. Don't forget to save room for cheesecake after your meal...

SHHHH!!!! You're giving away our "secret"... Seriously, Oakwood Lodge is my favorite restaurant - excellent food and a beautiful view. Just don't be in a hurry - but it's worth the wait. :yay: :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: Oakwood

Originally posted by RoseRed
Don't forget the Portobello mushroom appetizer...:yum:

:yum: Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... Thanks Rose... Now my tummy is growling...

DarbyOhara

Musician
Originally posted by BchBns
Try Catamarans in Solomons (right in front of the marina/walk way). They have awesome buffalo shrimp (lightly breaded with four levels of hotness: mild, hot, suicide & death wish).

As for an out-of-town place, I love Chincoteague. It'd probably be about a 4 hour drive, but it's nice, quiet, peaceful and not over-run with tourists (at least, when it's not pony-run time). They have B&B's there, and I second the idea of using them. I've always wanted to own/run one.

Have fun!

Bch.. where is Chincoteague located? Never heard of it and you didn't say.. left us all hanging... lol Actually, if you wanna go farther (or is that further... lol) than 4 hours... my brother once took a trip up northern Canada and done a B&B... he said they treated him like royalty... waved an american dollar and they scrambled and fought with each other to be the first to pamper... lol It's a bit far away... talking about being pampered, we'll take the pampering on a cruise to the Bahama's! Right DalmationLady?... lol This December! WoooHooooo!

FIREMAN

Originally posted by vraiblonde

Oakwood Lodge is worth the wait and price.

tater

here goes.....my choice a little place called Checker's, Yummmmmm, in front of the $200 store (wal-mart). Alright, I'm kiddin. For real though, you have to go to Catamaran's and get the Buffalo Shrimp. Damn close to sex and the shrimps are on roids (I think). Anyho, they kick a$$ and you pick between four levels of sauce and if you get one of the two hotter ones, it will burn you from the inside out. I know, sounds like fun, huh? Great practical joke opportunity with the "death wish" sauce.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
What's the deal with Adam's Ribs? I've never been in there, but there's always a good crowd on weekends!

Oh, and don't forget Casey Jones! I love their food and miss them a lot. I hope they're back soon...