Yellow Lab needs a home!

camily

Peace
I have a friend with a yellow lab that needs to place him. He is almost a year old and UTD on everything. He is also neutered. I am going to try to get a pic to post. Here's the deal though...the famiy had company and the dog a kid. No stitches but it was a clear bite. This dog would be great on a farm with no kids. Please, if anyone has room, let me know. He was being protective I feel. He has been raised with kids and will be a year old in April. He is my Pastors dog and he just can't take the risk as they have kids over alot. Vet records available.

jetmonkey

camily said:
I have a friend with a yellow lab that needs to place him. He is almost a year old and UTD on everything. He is also neutered. I am going to try to get a pic to post. Here's the deal though...the famiy had company and the dog a kid. No stitches but it was a clear bite. This dog would be great on a farm with no kids. Please, if anyone has room, let me know. He was being protective I feel. He has been raised with kids and will be a year old in April. He is my Pastors dog and he just can't take the risk as they have kids over alot. Vet records available.
This sounds like a dangerous kid. I hope he does not get placed in another home with dogs. He should probably be put down for everyone's safety. Good luck.

SoftballCrazy

camily said:
If the dog bit the kid for absolutely no reason, rehoming him may not be the best option. You never know when a kid will come around for a visit regardless of where he's placed.
Behavior problems...
If you got your dog as a puppy and he now has a behavior problem you can't live with, you must accept the fact that you are at least partly responsible for the way your dog is now.
You have 4 options:
1. You can continue to live with your dog the way he is.
2. You can get help to correct the problem.
3. You can try to give your problem to someone else.
4. You can have the dog euthanized.
Obviously the first option is out or you wouldn't be reading this page. You're probably most interested in Option 3 so let's talk frankly about that for a moment.
If you were looking for a dog and could select from all kinds of dogs and puppies, would you deliberately choose one with a behavior problem? No, certainly not - and neither would anyone else. To make your dog desirable to other people, you're going to have to take some action to fix his problems.
Most behavior problems aren't that hard to solve. Think hard about Option 2 before deciding it won't work for you - because the only option you have left is number 4: Having the dog euthanized. That's the bottom line. If you, who know and love the dog best, won't give him another chance, why should anyone else? Think about that.
IF YOUR DOG HAS EVER BITTEN ANYONE...
If your dog is aggressive with people or has ever bitten anyone, you can't, in good conscience, give him to anyone else. Could you live with yourself if that dog hurt another person, especially a child? Can you deal with the lawsuit that could result from it? You stand to lose your home and everything else you own. Lawsuits from dog bites are settling for millions of dollars in damages.
Our society today has zero tolerance for a dog with a bite history, no matter how minor. A dog that has bitten - whether or not it was his fault - is considered by law to be a dangerous dog. In some states, it's illegal to sell or give away a biting dog. No insurance company will cover a family with a biting dog. And to be perfectly honest, no responsible person in his right mind would want to adopt a biting dog.
No matter how much you love your dog, if he has ever bitten anyone, you only have two responsible choices - take him to a professional trainer or behaviorist for evaluation and maybe the dog can be rehabilitated. This could be costly and time consuming but could be very rewarding. If this is not an option for you, take him to your veterinarian and have him humanely euthanized. Don't leave him at a shelter where he might be frightened and confused and put other people at risk. Don't try to place him as a "guard dog" where he might be neglected, abused or used for dog fighting.
As hard as it is to face, putting a potentially dangerous biting dog to sleep is often the only safe and responsible thing to do.
For a dog that young, it would be worthwhile to take him to obed classes and try to see if there really is a problem..if it can be worked with, was the bite provoked (Did the kid do anything to antagonize the dog, back him in a corner w/ no way out while poking him in the eyes, anything at all?)

Christy

b*tch rocket
jetmonkey said:
This sounds like a dangerous kid. I hope he does not get placed in another home with dogs. He should probably be put down for everyone's safety. Good luck.

:yeahthat:

:huggy: Have I told you lately that I love you? :love:

Christy

b*tch rocket
SoftballCrazy said:

My dog is retarded and WILL bite. Everyone who comes to my house is forewarned of this, if you can't keep your kid from messing with my dog, then do not come over.

mainman

Set Trippin
Christy said:
My dog is retarded and WILL bite. Everyone who comes to my house is forewarned of this, if you can't keep your kid from messing with my dog, then do not come over.
Yeah but you have the only dog in the world that wont come to you to bite you, you have to go to him...:roflmao: :killingme

tes218

Christy said:
One of my dogs would bite if given the chance. He was not raised around small children and gets nervous around them when they run round and talk loudly as kids will do. He will bark if adults start talking loudly or waving their hands while talking and standing. I know this and take it as my responsibility to make sure he is protected in those situation. He is either put in an upstairs bedroom, put outside for awhile or watched closely by myself for any sign that he is getting uneasy. I will also watch the people I have in my house to make sure they don't disturb him. If this lab was raised with kids and the kid he bit was not a member of the family I would think some how he was provoked. I'd have to wonder where the parents were or any adult to monitor the children. What was going on prior to the bite? Could it have been a situation where the lab, being a puppy still and mouthing as labs will do, was not meaning to be aggressive but trying to control a situation as one dog would do to a littermate. Without knowing all of the details it would be hard to say for sure. I would never leave ANY dog with ANY child unattended. Any dog is capable of biting. I find it amazing how many times I've seen an adult allow a child to go up to a strange dog or be totally unattended around dogs. Dogs are NOT babysitters and children do not recognize the signs most dogs give prior to biting. I understand that sometimes a dog will bite in what we feel is a totally unprovoked situation or without warning but those are more rare. I agree that an evaluation of his temperment and training should be done and I hope for his sake it is.

SLIM

tes218 said:
One of my dogs would bite if given the chance. He was not raised around small children and gets nervous around them when they run round and talk loudly as kids will do. He will bark if adults start talking loudly or waving their hands while talking and standing. I know this and take it as my responsibility to make sure he is protected in those situation. He is either put in an upstairs bedroom, put outside for awhile or watched closely by myself for any sign that he is getting uneasy. I will also watch the people I have in my house to make sure they don't disturb him. If this lab was raised with kids and the kid he bit was not a member of the family I would think some how he was provoked. I'd have to wonder where the parents were or any adult to monitor the children. What was going on prior to the bite? Could it have been a situation where the lab, being a puppy still and mouthing as labs will do, was not meaning to be aggressive but trying to control a situation as one dog would do to a littermate. Without knowing all of the details it would be hard to say for sure. I would never leave ANY dog with ANY child unattended. Any dog is capable of biting. I find it amazing how many times I've seen an adult allow a child to go up to a strange dog or be totally unattended around dogs. Dogs are NOT babysitters and children do not recognize the signs most dogs give prior to biting. I understand that sometimes a dog will bite in what we feel is a totally unprovoked situation or without warning but those are more rare. I agree that an evaluation of his temperment and training should be done and I hope for his sake it is.
I hope for his sake too. It has been my experience that a if a dog truely wanted to hurt someone there would have been more than just a 'bite'. Every dog that I have owned would let you know if they didn't like to be messed with or handled in a certain way. Since we don't know the whole story, we cannot jump to conclusions so quickly. Hopefully you will find an understanding person who is experienced in dog training. Good luck!

johnjrval424

Is it a pure-bred lab? Or a mix of some sort?

I've had labradors all my life and I have never, ever, and I repeat NEVER, had an incident where a lab has bitten a child. They are the most docile, friendly, well-behaved (when trained) dogs you could ever want. If that lab bit a child, it was because it was doing something horribly wrong to him.

JMHO.

camily

Peace
SoftballCrazy said:
If the dog bit the kid for absolutely no reason, rehoming him may not be the best option. You never know when a kid will come around for a visit regardless of where he's placed.
Behavior problems...
If you got your dog as a puppy and he now has a behavior problem you can't live with, you must accept the fact that you are at least partly responsible for the way your dog is now.
You have 4 options:
1. You can continue to live with your dog the way he is.
2. You can get help to correct the problem.
3. You can try to give your problem to someone else.
4. You can have the dog euthanized.
Obviously the first option is out or you wouldn't be reading this page. You're probably most interested in Option 3 so let's talk frankly about that for a moment.
If you were looking for a dog and could select from all kinds of dogs and puppies, would you deliberately choose one with a behavior problem? No, certainly not - and neither would anyone else. To make your dog desirable to other people, you're going to have to take some action to fix his problems.
Most behavior problems aren't that hard to solve. Think hard about Option 2 before deciding it won't work for you - because the only option you have left is number 4: Having the dog euthanized. That's the bottom line. If you, who know and love the dog best, won't give him another chance, why should anyone else? Think about that.
If your dog is aggressive with people or has ever bitten anyone, you can't, in good conscience, give him to anyone else. Could you live with yourself if that dog hurt another person, especially a child? Can you deal with the lawsuit that could result from it? You stand to lose your home and everything else you own. Lawsuits from dog bites are settling for millions of dollars in damages.
Our society today has zero tolerance for a dog with a bite history, no matter how minor. A dog that has bitten - whether or not it was his fault - is considered by law to be a dangerous dog. In some states, it's illegal to sell or give away a biting dog. No insurance company will cover a family with a biting dog. And to be perfectly honest, no responsible person in his right mind would want to adopt a biting dog.
No matter how much you love your dog, if he has ever bitten anyone, you only have two responsible choices - take him to a professional trainer or behaviorist for evaluation and maybe the dog can be rehabilitated. This could be costly and time consuming but could be very rewarding. If this is not an option for you, take him to your veterinarian and have him humanely euthanized. Don't leave him at a shelter where he might be frightened and confused and put other people at risk. Don't try to place him as a "guard dog" where he might be neglected, abused or used for dog fighting.
As hard as it is to face, putting a potentially dangerous biting dog to sleep is often the only safe and responsible thing to do.
For a dog that young, it would be worthwhile to take him to obed classes and try to see if there really is a problem..if it can be worked with, was the bite provoked (Did the kid do anything to antagonize the dog, back him in a corner w/ no way out while poking him in the eyes, anything at all?)
As I stated in my first post, this is NOT my dog.

camily

Peace
johnjrval424 said:
Is it a pure-bred lab? Or a mix of some sort?

I've had labradors all my life and I have never, ever, and I repeat NEVER, had an incident where a lab has bitten a child. They are the most docile, friendly, well-behaved (when trained) dogs you could ever want. If that lab bit a child, it was because it was doing something horribly wrong to him.

JMHO.
I'm leaning toward that myself.

Pandora

Christy said:
That is true, he's not real fast on his feet. :lmao:

He is just way too busy! :drama: :wink:

Attachments

• DSCF0264.JPG
    DSCF0264.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 117