Moles/Voles

John Z

if you will
So to contol moles (probably voles, really), you know, the kind that make tunnels in your yard - what works for you? Grubworm killer, milky spore, traps?:shrug:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Get a Jack Russell Terrier. I had one and my mom has one. The work wonders but expect presents left by the back door for you. :cool:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I hate the little critters. I got mine with this:
molereg.jpg

Felt bad that I had to fork the darn thing but he ate all my newly planted tomato plants one year. :burning: I tried flooding, smoking, stomping the trail tunnels but the fork finally got 'em. :yay:

There are other products (poison) you can use, but I couldn't use them in a vegetable garden.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Believe it or not, poke a hole in their tunnels, and drop spearmint gum in it. Screws up their digestive tracks and kills em.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I am an organic gardener, so I try not to use toxic chemicals in my yard or garden.

The best thing I've found for keeping the critters out are things that use sound to repel them. I have solar-powered and wind-powered versions that send vibrations in the ground that voles/moles don't like. The solar-powered is much more effective, but costs about $100, and covers about a half an acre. The wind-powered one was about $20 and covers a smaller area. I think I got both of them from Gardener's Supply.

The other thing to use is milky spore. It kills the grubs (japanese beetle larva) that are in your yard that the voles/moles feed on. You get rid of the food source and the critters leave too. It also lasts for years. You can get it at Lowe's.

K

Kizzy

Wow, Jazz that is pretty cool. Now, do these things work on say a big hill or do they have to be on a flat surface? Just wanted to know before I get my hopes up.

Pixie, your right on the JR. Maybe that is why I do not have a mole problem in the back yard, or there isn't anything for them to eat but rocks.

Vince

1) Got 2 rat terriers and they work fine.
2) Other method is a regular mole trap, works about 50% of the time. The metal ones that you have to set at their tunnels.
3) Find a tunnel, dig it out so you can set a rat trap there and bait it with chewing gum. Put a bucket over it and it will catch you a mole.
4) Put Diazinon down. It will kill the grubs that are it's food source.

Heard a little spot on the news that this has been the worst year that Md has ever had for moles.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: reply

Originally posted by James White
Trapping or using Warifin is the "ONLY" true way to rid yourself of these pests.

I was curious as I had never heard of "warifin" and its uses. So I went to your web site and found the product you recommend is "KAPUT" which uses WARFARIN. Aha! THAT I have heard of as my sister is the director of nursing of a nursing home and I have heard about problems with this drug as it is a BLOOD THINNER.

I would stay as far away from this "solution" as possible. WARFARIN is a blood thinner that can have deadly consequences, ESPECIALLY to children and pets.

From The Children's Health Environmental Coalition website:
http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/chemicals/chemicals-detail.asp?Main_ID=288

Warfarin is a rodenticide used in the home, outdoors, in food service establishments, near fruit trees, in storage buildings, sewers and other places where rodents may be a problem. This white, odorless, tasteless compound, an anti-coagulant, causes bleeding and blood-thinning.

Children may come into contact with warfarin in its powder, pellet or bait forms. It should never be used anywhere near children!

Warfarin is also used for medical purposes.

That's right - the moles injest this poison and hemorrhage to death over the course of several days.

Here's the cautions from the label for the Kaput product:
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/kaputmolebaitlabel.htm

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS

HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND

DOMESTIC ANIMALS

CAUTION: Keep away from humans, domestic animals and pets. If swallowed, this material may reduce the clotting ability of the blood and cause bleeding.

NOTE FOR PHYSICIAN: This product reduces the clotting ability of the blood and may cause hemorrhaging. If poisoning occurs, intramuscular and oral administration of Vitamin K1 are indicated, as in poisoning from an overdose of bis-hydroxycoumarin. For human cases, Vitamin K1 is antidotal at doses of 10-20 mg total (not mg/kg). For animal cases, Vitamin K1 is antidotal at 2-5 mg/kg. Repeated doses may need to be given up to two weeks (based upon monitoring of prothrombin times).

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
Do not apply this product directly to water, or to areas where surface water is present or the intertidal areas below the mean high water mark.

It is listed as highly toxic by WHO (World Health Organization) and the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). It is also highly toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms.

As I've said above and in other threads, I've used milky spore (non-toxic and gets rid of the grubs moles feed on) and solar- and wind-powered mole movers (they send vibrations through the ground) with great results.

Last edited:
F

Flo

Get a Cat. Had a problem for years with moles/voles. We would place traps, etc. Nothing worked. A couple of years ago a stray kitten showed up on our doorstep. She stays outdoors in and around the garage, and we haven't had a problem with moles/voles since!:smile: