Problems with Country Furniture in Wildwoood

My mom ordered a cradle for me from this store back in November 2002. She paid for it, and they told her it'd be here in 6-8 weeks. Well, I had my baby in February 2003, and we still don't have it! Supposedly it's done, but they have yet to produce it for us. She calls at least two times a week, and every week, it's a new story: the weather was bad, they didn't bring the right truck to transport it back, it didn't fit in the truck, etc.

Two weeks ago, they called her and told her the cradle was in! She went down to the store and saw a cradle, but it wasn't the one she ordered! It had the right finish, but it wasn't the right style. They insisted that it was, but she had the receipts to prove them wrong.

What can we do? They won't refund her money, they only offer her store credit. She doesn't want anything else from the store, just the cradle she ordered! I filed a complaint with the BBB, but is there anything else you can think of that we can do to get the cradle? I cannot believe these people can stay in business this way. Someone told her to take them to small claims court, but like I said, she only wants the cradle. She's very upset by this whole thing.

TIA!
Bridget

Last edited:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Did you use a credit card? Dispute it with them, since you never received the cradle, maybe they can credit your card.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Take RodRugg's Grandma down there with you, maybe she can help. :cheesy:

dottymae

This happened with a cousin of mine as well. I'm not sure if she's gotten it straighten out yet or not but she ordered a dining room table and hutch back in April last year. Last I heard in February it still wasn't what she ordered, she was filing a report with the BBB. They must also have caller ID because they refused to answer her phone calls but when her sister called 5 minutes later, they answered. They may have pretty furniture but their service stinks!!! I would definitely tell people to avoid them at all cost!!!

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
fax 'em a copy of this thread to let them know that you're spreading the word about their terrible service!

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Not much info on that link, but you can file a complaint online. I've done it a couple of times and so far it's been effective.

SmallTown

Football season!
Once all the court stuff is over, i'll enlighten everyone on another business to avoid.

And as for the above post, I must say that writing to the BBB IS a great step, and should probably be the first step when dealing with a messed up business. But unfortunately, that isn't always enough. As I have mentioned before, we are a society of "I'll show you!". A responsible business owner would get a call from the BBB and move along to correct the situation. Then you have others who get completely offended that you dare report their awful business behavior to the BBB, and try anything to get back at you. Which sometimes they don't understand that this reaction will generate yet another letter to the BBB, and you can see how the cycle goes.
Under no circumstances should you let a business take advantage of you. Accountability is key. If they don't feel like they are going to be accountable, it is amazing the things they will try.

willie

Originally posted by Ken King
Small Claims Court, they failed to meet the contract.

Small claims will only cost you $5 plus cost of serving them. You can do it yourself (your mom is the plaintiff) or get the cops to do it. I almost guarantee they will pay up before going to court.

K

Kain99

Trust me when I say, they will shite a brick if they find out about this thread! I'd call and tell them about it. Then I'd go on to explain that you will be happy to write letters to the editor regarding this issue if it is not resolved.:wink:

pilot

This is slightly off subject, but I had a bit of a scare just a few days ago. Over the weekend, I was on vacation in Chicago. I had visited a museum there and purchased something at a gift shop for $19.58. Well, imagine my horror yesterday when I went to check my credit card online and saw that there were two charges, one for $19.58 and one for $1958.

Fortunately, I was able to get through to the museum, who put me in touch with the manager of the gift shop. She said they had discovered the error the day after it had happened and that my account had already been credited. What a relief!

You'd think all businesses would want to be responsible like that. It really is in their own best interests, especially in a smaller community where word travels fast!

I think part of the problem with the cradle purchase described here is that it was purchased in CASH. Not that it excuses Country Furniture. It sounds like they're totally unethical.

Update!

Well, thanks to all your advice everyone. This is what my mom and I decided today:

I called CF and asked them if the cradle was in (and it wasn't *shock*). I asked them when they expected it to be in. She told me this Friday they would go up to go get the cradle and then they would call her on Saturday. I said fine, this is the plan: I have submitted a complaint to the BBB. I also let everyone know about this situation via the SOMD.com message board. If the cradle is not here by Saturday, we are going to go and file a claim at small claims court. I called the courthouse and got details on how she needs to do this. If the cradle does come in, I offered to retract the complaint from the BBB and delete this thread, and if I can't do that, the I'd at least let everyone know how it was resolved.

I spoke with the owner's daughter. She offers many excuses, saying that the cradle came in but my mom didn't like it (sure, because it wasn't the one she ordered!), she's pregnant and can't handle the drive up to PA anymore, that the woodworker is a liar and she has hired a new woodworker. Once again, we've been promised this cradle, so I am sure we won't see it this weekend. It really pisses me off that she gets my mom's hopes up.

When I told her I filed with the BBB, she actually said, "Good." I was like, what? I said, "GOOD? It's not good for your business and it doesn't make us feel good to do it."

However, when I mentioned that our next step would be small claims court, she finally said that she would refund my mom's money. My mom really would rather have the cradle than the money, but I am terrified these people could go out of business (I just don't see how they can afford to stay in business with practices like this!) and that mom will be out the money and a cradle.

Thanks again for everyone's help. It seems we are in a no-win situation, and it's just miserable... My mom is too nice a lady to deserve this treatment, and all she wanted was to spoil her first grandchild rotten.

Thanks again!
Bridget =)

pilot

Hey, Bridget, I'm just curious. How much money are we talking about here?

Hope it all works out for you!

I am not exactly sure, since the cradle was a present to me, but I am guessing several hundred dollars ($300-$400?)... You know how furniture mark up is.... Sigh.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by BA in SoMD
I am not exactly sure, since the cradle was a present to me, but I am guessing several hundred dollars ($300-$400?)... You know how furniture mark up is.... Sigh.

I bet you can at least double those numbers! Andrea said Good? Unreal! I never would have imagined that. How awful.