The Other Side - Supernatural side show!

K

Kain99

Last Night after watching a harrowing Episode of America's Haunting's on the Sci-Fi channel, John Edwards "The Other Side" Came on.

Since I was already in the mood I watched. John Edwards claims to have contact with the dead.

He has a studio audience - If a loved one "comes through" He starts looking around saying stuff like "I'm getting a C Clarissa? Claire? Carrie? Someone in the audience eventually stands up and says Hey that's for me! My Aunt Connie died last year.

Edwards then starts with things like Aunt Connie is sending you pink roses.... then moves on to ask? Did Aunt Connie like chocolate chips? No. Oh, do you like chocolate chips? No. Are you on a diet? Yes!

Aunt Connie is supporting you're diet and hopes that you stay away from those chocolate chips so that you may lead a long happy life.

I'm thinking what a scam!

Has anyone else seen this? Does anybody beleive in the supernatural?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I watched the SciFi show but the ending sucked. They never finished the photographers story.

I've seen JE's show before and he's right up there with that crazy pet psychic. :rolleyes:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I know who he is, but Animal Court, what the heck is that? Sounds stupid to me.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
It's like The People's Court except they fight over animal issues and bring the animals in the courtroom.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by Sharon
I watched the SciFi show but the ending sucked. They never finished the photographers story.

The human blood plasma dripping from the cabinets freaked me out! You're right they didn't finish. What'd the ghost just get sick of moving and split? :crazy:

Doc

Yeah, John Edwards is a big fat scammer, not to mention the biggest douche in the universe (cf. South Park, Episode 615, "The Biggest Douche in the Universe). His act is a really tired example of something called "cold reading," which is a mentalism trick that produces the illusion that a person is acquiring information via paranormal means. Throw in some clever editing, and clever accomplices, and you've got a show. Cold reading basically boils down to playing Twenty Questions, only you try to obscure the fact that that's what you're doing. Watch John Edwards, or Sylvia Brown, or James VanPraagh, or any of the others that ply this trade, and you'll notice that--like all psychics--they sure do ask a lot of questions. "I'm seeing a 'J' name, does that mean anything?" "Who is Sally?" "Why is the money important?" "I'm seeing the chest area. Did he die of a heart attack?" Doesn't it seem odd that a psychic has to ask all this information?

Personally, I find Edwards to be one of the absolute worst cold readers out there. I can do a much better job that him. Not long ago I was at a party giving a demonstration of cold reading. I had two young women in tears; they were positive I was talking to their dead fathers. Of course, I explained to them afterwards that I wasn't, and let them in on the secrets. The difference between John Edwards and me, of course, is the fact that I don't charge $300/hr to pretend to talk to someone's dead grannies.

May I make a suggestion? Tonight at 8:00 pm, NBC will have a show called "Secrets of Psychics Revealed". Watch it, and you'll probably learn all kinds of useful stuff about how these con men do their things.

K

Kain99

Thank's Doc! I'm there NBC at 8:00 I think it sucks that people make money off of other peoples grief.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Kain99
I think it sucks that people make money off of other peoples grief.

I totally agree, they should just be happy making it off of other peoples ignorance.

Shiggy

I saw the psychic secrets show last night, and thought it was pretty good overall. Lots of the things they showed were more magic tricks than things psychics do. I was disappointed they gave away the needle thru the arm trick. I've only ever seen magicians do it, not psychics. It's fun to do in an office setting with a bent paperclip in place of the needle, but if you do it yourself, try to use nontoxic cement as most rubber cement contains toluene, a carcinogen. Not the best thing to absorb thru your skin.

But overall a good show, and maybe it'll give people pause before they watch JE's show or spend money at a fortune teller's.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Embarassed to admit

But I'll open myself up for mocking: I totally dig Pet Psychic on Animal Planet. I agree with South Park on John Edwards but I'll fall for the Pet Psychic's scam any day.
Animal Court sucks big time. Stupid people with "petty" issues.
Totally believe in the supernatural. I will watch any ghost story, read all true ghost stories I can get my paws on and all other "hooey" along those lines.

K

Kain99

I'm a sucker too. I love supernatural stuff. Since I want to believe in it so much, it really disappoints me when I find a fraud. :frown:

Doc

Re: Embarassed to admit

Originally posted by Hello6
But I'll open myself up for mocking: I totally dig Pet Psychic on Animal Planet. I agree with South Park on John Edwards but I'll fall for the Pet Psychic's scam any day.

Mock! Mock! Mock! :neener:

Sonya Fitzpatrick's (Pet Psychic) act is even worse than Edwards'. At least the sheep in Edwards' audience will occasionally point out he's wrong ("I see a man--is it your father?" "No, he's still alive, must be my grandfather." "Yeah, I knew that. I'm psychic, you know."), but with animals the psychic pretty much gets a free ride. When Sylvia says "Fluffy doesn't like what you've been feeding her lately" the pet can't agree or object to the statement.

She used to offer $300/hour (half-hour minimum) over-the-phone readings for animals. What an awful way to scam to money, but then again it's hard to feel bad for someone dumb enough to pony up that kind of cash to hear some dope spout off a bunch of generalities about their animal.

Psychics are such awful people. It's ridiculously easy to prove they don't have supernatural powers. Ask yourself: If you could foretell the future would you (a) waste your life reading palms at $50 a pop, or if you're photogenic wasting your time with a weekly TV show, or (b) just win the lottery and make a couple million with a few seconds of work? Of course, you'd choose (b).

Oh, occasionally a psychic will respond by saying, "But I can't use my powers for personal gain." (This statement is really funny when it comes from someone charging $300/hour for a reading.) And so you reply, "Well why not win the lottery and give the proceeds to charity. Or, better still, use your powers to stop child abuse, terrorist acts, etc. before they happen." And then the psychic usually changes the subject.

If I could read minds and foretell the future and talk to the dead, pretty much the last thing I'd do with my powers is use them to transmit banal messages from people's dead grannies, or talk to rich people's doggies.