So what do y'all prefer, Dish network, or DirecTV?

What do you prefer?

• Dish Network

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • DirecTV

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

http

More channels with directv i hear. I love it. Its all about the box though. RCAs are fine but Hughes are the best.

Ponytail

Blue grass station? Wouldn't that be Home and garden station? TLC maybe? You can get the stuff at Lowes by the sq. ft. ya know.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
DirecTV - absolutely no problems and crystal clear reception. When I moved, they put in a new dish and did the inside hook-up free of charge, but you have to guarantee you'll stay with them for 2 years after that.

http

Oh yea, the other thing is you can now get Directv/Tivo combo. Don't have it yet but I will.

http

And one other thing, the local channels. I have a friend who has the Dish in Cumberland and says that he is forced to watch New York City local channels.

SmallTown

Football season!
When I was in maryland, I had dish network. Loved it. Had all the channels I wanted, including the DC local channels. When I moved to Virginia, we are in a heavily wooded area so the Dish network guy couldn't get a signal. We called DirectTV, and they came out and were able to do it (Their sats are "higher" thus geting around the tree problem). We love DirectTV. Perhaps we had an outdated dish receiver (had it for around 3 years) but seems that directv offers more "features". Such as a channel where you can order from Barnes and Noble or buy CDs. and again, could be a receiver issue, but we don't see the "lag" we saw when flipping through channels with dish network, as well as with dish there was always a MAJOR delay when bringing up the guide and you wanted the current station to be displayed in a smaller box. Again, these could be receiver issues which are better now, but have no idea.

The one thing were Dish is better is when it comes to TiVo. With Dish (with the correct receiver of course) this was free, but for some reason DirecTV charges extra for it Go figure.

SmallTown

Football season!
do they specify why they have the $5/month charge for something like this? Just doesn't seem to be a direct issue with the programming they offer.

blueeyes76

I dunno. No it doesn't seem to be an issue, but in my opinion $5 a month is worth it for what you get with TiVo. The Total Choice Premiere package is $85 a month and I'd rather pay the extra $5 with the Total Choice Plus.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
With Dish the box is free. Depending on the contract you pay nothing upfront and no monthly charge. Dish has a box that lets you watch one channel while recording another. With Dish you get Dish boxes, not TIVO. Dish boxes have Microsoft software.

With the newer boxes, there is no lag time. Dish also has a lot more international channels, by this summer they will have over 100 international channels. Direct has more sports, BUT...blackout rules still apply. Both of them have locals for $5 more a month.

Direct is being bought by good old Rupert Murdoch (of Fox) so look for some interesting changes coming down the pike, some good, some not so good. Dish is owned by Charlie Ergen and I love the "Charlie Chats" where monthly he comes on the air and takes questions. Direct is bigger, but more impersonal, they are currently owned by Hughes/GM.

With Dish I pay $75 a month for 3 TVs, 150 channels, locals, Starz/Encore plus New York and LA locals.

T.Rally

I've tried them both, Dish lured me to their service with the sports package they were offering. Turns out it was crap. Didn't get to watch much hockey last year as I was signed to a one year contract. As for the equipment being free, when I cancelled, Dish sent me boxes to send all the equipment back. I depised Dish network the year I was with them.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Originally posted by T.Rally
I've tried them both, Dish lured me to their service with the sports package they were offering. Turns out it was crap. Didn't get to watch much hockey last year as I was signed to a one year contract. As for the equipment being free, when I cancelled, Dish sent me boxes to send all the equipment back. I depised Dish network the year I was with them.

Did you read your contract? You sent the equipment back and didn't get charged. Did you think you owned it? Dish owns it and you use it and send it back when done. You can buy it for $100-$250 depending on what you want, but otherwise you just use it for free.

As far as the hockey goes, I know they have a buttload of games every night, as well as NBA, don't know why you didn't get to see it.

T.Rally

My whole experience with Dish was a nightmare. It was just ugly, from the installation to the cancellation, the whole experience sucked. Their sports package at the time was crap. They were offering all the Fox Sports Channels for $7.99 a month but everything was blacked out. I think now they do offer a Center Ice like package. They did not when I was a customer.

As far as Murdoch buying Directv, I hope he does, Fox News rocks and if you want watch almost any sport, you have to watch it on some Fox sports affiliate.

K

Katie

I have DirectTv and love it. I want to get the fast internet connection dish and the tivo package, since I can't figure out how to program my vcr.

alex

I don't know about Dish but when we got DirectTV we paid about $120 for the equipment and then got $100 rebate from Circuit City and a $50 gift card.

We have two receivers with local channels we pay about $45 a month. I love their direct ticket for pay per view movies and of course reception is WAY better than cable. I would love to see any service that provides live international channels and maybe that will happen now that Murdoch has bought them.

We looked at Dish but they were more expensive for less channels.