Relocating working in Lusby

dn0121

I will be working in Lusby and am looking at both Calvert and St Marys county. I'm excited to be moving to the area, but like all other relos im lost on where to live. I'm moving from Houston but have only been here for 8 months. I was in Cleveland Ohio before that.

I've been looking in Leonardtown, Lexington Park, and Lusby for houses. I would prefer to have less then 1/2 hour commute. Is that possible if living in St Marys? I will be working around the Cove Point area.

I saw some houses in White Sands, but then I read it was going down hill. (That post was a few years old.) Also I see that area is near the Nuc plant. Does that affect insurance rates or property values? Im not worried about the safety. I'm in the utility field so I feel safe about it.

I would like to stay under $300,000, but I would like a newer house with at least 3br/2fb.

I must say this has to be one of the funniest and liveliest forums I have read!

Thank you for any and all help.

:larry:

Dan

dn0121 said:
I will be working in Lusby and am looking at both Calvert and St Marys county. I'm excited to be moving to the area, but like all other relos im lost on where to live. I'm moving from Houston but have only been here for 8 months. I was in Cleveland Ohio before that.

I've been looking in Leonardtown, Lexington Park, and Lusby for houses. I would prefer to have less then 1/2 hour commute. Is that possible if living in St Marys? I will be working around the Cove Point area.

I saw some houses in White Sands, but then I read it was going down hill. (That post was a few years old.) Also I see that area is near the Nuc plant. Does that affect insurance rates or property values? Im not worried about the safety. I'm in the utility field so I feel safe about it.

I would like to stay under $300,000, but I would like a newer house with at least 3br/2fb.

Dan
Welcome, Dan! You don't sound like a Lusbian... you'll have to work on that!

dn0121

LOL I will work on that. My first visit is in a few weeks so I will study hard (or is it drink hard?)

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Hi, Welcome Dan :howdy:

We live in the California area and my husband works in Solomons (approx. a 6.5 mi). It takes him approx. 15-20 minutes to go to work at 0500, and about 30 minutes to get home when he leaves at 1530. If there is an accident on the bridge, add another hour or more. If there's an south bound accident on between Rt. 4 and Rt. 235 in the afternoon, add another hour. (at least)

I would recommend living in Calvert County just for convience sake, although I've never lived there.

dn0121

Thank you for the advice, that makes a lot of sense. Are the highways in this area 2 lanes each way or just 1?

rdkarob

dn0121 said:

Dan

Good luck on the house hunt, very had to find something a few years old under 300,000 around here any longer.

dn0121

Ya, I noticed home values have doubled in the past 5 years. Thats good news for a lot of people, but not for me lol.

Christy

b*tch rocket
dn0121 said:
Ya, I noticed home values have doubled in the past 5 years. Thats good news for a lot of people, but not for me lol.

There are some really cute houses over in Calvert for under $300K. I kind of like the older homes, they have a lot more character, not to mention built better. :yay:

mrweb

Iron City
dn0121 said:
Thank you for the advice, that makes a lot of sense. Are the highways in this area 2 lanes each way or just 1?

Rt 4 is four lanes in Calvert. Goes to two at the bridge to St. Mary's. Rt 235 in St. Mary's is 4. I sent some agent info for the guys I used a few years ago. Great folks, check your PMr.

beamher

mrweb said:
Rt 4 is four lanes in Calvert. Goes to two at the bridge to St. Mary's. Rt 235 in St. Mary's is 4. I sent some agent info for the guys I used a few years ago. Great folks, check your PMr.

if i'm correct--rt. 4 is 2 lanes from st. mary's(starts out as 1 until you cross the bridge) all the way up until you get to the woodyard road area(prince george's county), you may get a turning lane. rt.235 start out as 2 and then about 3/4 lanes with some turning lanes or vice versa depending on your direction

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
dn0121 said:
Sounds like I don't want to be commuting across the bridge if I don't have too.

You've got that right. I did it for 20+ years and it's one of the main reasons I live in St. Mary's now. :yay:

dn0121

It seems like 90% of the houses I see for sale online in Lusby are either in CRE or White Sands.

How are these communities?

rdkarob

dn0121 said:
It seems like 90% of the houses I see for sale online in Lusby are either in CRE or White Sands.

How are these communities?

That depends ... White Sands...ugh...CRE, getting pretty nasty but there are nice areas. I have been looking there myself, but people just don't take care of their yards. Some do some don't.....there are some nice places in Drum Point though.

dn0121

How is Prince Frederick? Is traveling on RT 4 South to Cove Point going to be a big hassle or just a normal commute? I found some houses there near the 4/231 interchange.

As always thanks for replys!

willie

dn0121 said:
How is Prince Frederick? Is traveling on RT 4 South to Cove Point going to be a big hassle or just a normal commute? I found some houses there near the 4/231 interchange.

As always thanks for replys!
That will be a quick commute at any time. North of Prince Fred can have some backups southbound but as others have said, stay away from the bridge.....far away.

cecelia0613

White Sands and CRE

I'd say you can find nice areas in both of these communities. I purchased a home in White Sands 3 years ago and while the real estate people in Calvert always talk about how bad it is, it really is not. White Sands is quite a large community with houses ranging from HUD homes up to top dollar waterfront homes. Once off the main entry the neighborhoods are okay with the exception of a few streets.

As for CRE, there are good and bad spots in this community too. It also is quite a large community with houses in price that vary.

Personally, I don't think you will find any place in either Calvert or St. Mary's where you won't have some issues to deal with. Do your homework, if the street/area in a development does not fit your needs, move on until you find one that does.

Someone mentioned Drum Point also and that is another community where you will find a variety of people and homes.

Good luck and welcome to the area!