Energy Tax vs Trash Fee

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
So the St. Mary's County Board of County Commissioners last year cut the energy tax from 5% to 2.5% which saved county taxpayers about $700,000 at the time, and probably more now given that energy prices are 20% higher than when the tax was rolled back.

But the new budget has a $60 trash fee for every property owner in the county, that is supposed to raise $2 million to balance the budget.

Last year I think they had a $14 million dollar surplus and now they have to tax us some more to balance the budget.

WTF happened? Where did our money go? :confused:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Oz said:
So the St. Mary's County Board of County Commissioners last year cut the energy tax from 5% to 2.5% which saved county taxpayers about $700,000 at the time, and probably more now given that energy prices are 20% higher than when the tax was rolled back.

But the new budget has a $60 trash fee for every property owner in the county, that is supposed to raise $2 million to balance the budget.

Last year I think they had a $14 million dollar surplus and now they have to tax us some more to balance the budget.

WTF happened? Where did our money go? :confused:
Board of Ed. You should see all their pretty new vehicles.

Vince

Where do you think your trash is going in St. Mary's county. Got a landfill hidden somewhere?

ylexot

Super Genius
Vince said:
Where do you think your trash is going in St. Mary's county. Got a landfill hidden somewhere?
I know of two of them in St Mary's, but there may be more :shrug:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
ylexot said:
I know of two of them in St Mary's, but there may be more :shrug:
The trash from the transfer stations goes over to King George, VA, I believe.

ylexot

Super Genius
BS Gal said:
The trash from the transfer stations goes over to King George, VA, I believe.
Ahhh, I knew there was the St Andrews landfill, but it looks like they stopped using it in 2001.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
ylexot said:
Ahhh, I knew there was the St Andrews landfill, but it looks like they stopped using it in 2001.
SMC was hauling their trash over to Calvert, who in turn, trucked it to King George's at the mega landfill; however, Calvert stopped letting St. Mary's dump over there. I think I have this right. Trash is expensive business.

blacklabman

Who gets all the monetary benefit of the stuff that is recycled?

I feel that the landfill and transfer stations should be covered under all the taxes I give to the county now, as are the schools.

ylexot

Super Genius
blacklabman said:
Monetary benefit? It costs money to recycle...except for aluminum. Aluminum recycling nets a little money.

Vince

BS Gal said:
SMC was hauling their trash over to Calvert, who in turn, trucked it to King George's at the mega landfill; however, Calvert stopped letting St. Mary's dump over there. I think I have this right. Trash is expensive business.
Exactly. :yay:

Vince

blacklabman said:

I feel that the landfill and transfer stations should be covered under all the taxes I give to the county now, as are the schools.
Wait until you have to pay the county for your emissions inspection on every vehicle you own. $12 each and you have to bring it to an emissions inpection station wherever they choose to build it. Just another little money maker for the county.

ylexot

Super Genius
Vince said:
Wait until you have to pay the county for your emissions inspection on every vehicle you own. $12 each and you have to bring it to an emissions inpection station wherever they choose to build it. Just another little money maker for the county.
We're going to have to start doing that now? :doh:

oldman

Lobster Land
Vince said:

Vince, it is and has been $14 here in Charles for some years. I can remember in N.J. many years ago it was free and paid for by my taxes. Is it a money maker for the county or state? In any case, it's government taking more of my money.

Vince

oldman said:
Vince, it is and has been $14 here in Charles for some years. I can remember in N.J. many years ago it was free and paid for by my taxes. Is it a money maker for the county or state? In any case, it's government taking more of my money.
Yep. It's been in Calvert County for years now. St. Mary's county still doesn't have it.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Emissions testing is a Maryland State program.

The point about the trash fee is that it's just another tax. They lowered the Energy Tax. What purpose did that serve if they just have to think up a new tax to make up for the money they didn't extract from us last year?

And do you really think they won't raise the Energy Tax again?

So we already have the Energy Tax - once they approve a Trash Tax, then it's just something else they can soak us with in the future. :ohwell: