The Season For Atvs, Pocket Bikes And Golf Carts Is Back

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Charles County Sheriff’s Office reminds citizens about what’s illegal on roadways

A pocket bike, all-terrain vehicle or golf cart might seem like a fun and inexpensive way to get around town or around the streets of your neighborhood but by law, many of these and similar modes of transportation can only be operated on your own property.

The Charles County Sheriff’s Office receives numerous complaints of these types of vehicles being operated on roadways, especially during spring and summer. With warmer weather here, the Sheriff’s office is reminding citizens of the laws regarding what can and cannot be operated legally on the roadway.

“We are combining our enforcement efforts with public education by putting the information in the news and on our Web site,” said Sheriff Coffey. “Being unaware of the laws is not an acceptable excuse for breaking them.”

The following is information regarding what vehicles can and cannot be driven on roadways:

Maryland vehicle law defines motor vehicles as being self-propelled or propelled by electric power obtained from overhead electrical wires and are not operated on rails. Under this definition, mopeds and motor scooters are not considered motor vehicles.

Any vehicle that is not registered in the state of Maryland may not be driven on Maryland highways. Maryland vehicle law defines highways as the entire width between the boundary lines of any way or thoroughfare of which any part is used by the public for vehicular travel, whether or not the way or thoroughfare has been dedicated to the public and accepted by any proper authority. This means ATVs, motorized skate boards, motorized bicycles, motorized mini-bikes, go-carts and golf carts can only be driven on private property with the permission of the owner or agent.

Mopeds and Motor Scooters

A moped is a bicycle that is designed to be operated by human power with the assistance of a motor and is equipped with pedals that mechanically drive the rear wheel or wheels. Mopeds have two or three wheels that are all more than 14 inches in diameter and have a motor with a rating of 1.5 brake horsepower or less. If the motor is a combustion engine, mopeds have a capacity of 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement or less.

Motor scooters are non-pedal vehicles that have a seat for the operator, have two wheels, one of which is 10 inches or more in diameter, and have a step-through chassis. Motor scooters have a motor with a rating of 2.7 brake horsepower or less, or if the motor is an internal combustion engine, with a capacity of 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement or less. Motor scooters are equipped with an automatic transmission. Motor scooters do not include a vehicle that has been manufactured for off-road use, including a motorcycle and all-terrain vehicle. They are generally found at motorcycle shops and usually cost at least $1,500. If they are 50 cc’s or less, they do not require tags. The driver must have a valid driver’s license of any class from any state or country in which they reside or have a moped operators permit issued by the Maryland MVA.

Any person operating a bicycle, including a moped, or motor scooter should ride as close to the right side of the roadway as practical and safe, except when attempting to

make a left turn, operating on a one-way street or passing a stopped or slower vehicle. Two people can ride side-by-side when it does not impede the flow of traffic. The law also states operators may walk the bicycle or motor scooter on the right side of a highway if there is no sidewalk.

These vehicles can not be operated on a roadway with a speed limit of more than 50 miles per hour and can not be operated in excess of 30 miles per hour, and all riders must wear a helmet.

Gas or Electric Motorized Toy Scooter

Whether they are gas or electric, motorized toy scooters – often called “pocket bikes” – are self-propelled and therefore meet the Maryland vehicle law’s definition of a motor vehicle. They can not be operated on a sidewalk. Because these vehicles do not have a wheel that is 10 inches or more in diameter or a step-through chassis and because they are self-propelled, they are considered motor vehicles. But just as an ATV, go-cart, golf cart and dirt bike motorcycle, they do not need to be registered and are for use on private property only, with the permission of the property owner or agent.

Electronic Personal Assistive Mobility Devices

Electronic personal assistive mobility devices (EPAMDs) are self-balancing, pedestrian devices that have two wheels that are not in tandem. They may be operated on sidewalks and on roadways with speed limits that do not exceed 30 miles per hour and that do not have an adjacent sidewalk.

Driving on Sidewalks

Driving on sidewalks is prohibited unless the sidewalk is a permanent or authorized temporary driveway. Where permitted, unicycles, bicycles – not including mopeds – and play vehicles may be ridden on a sidewalk or sidewalk area. Play vehicles are defined as a vehicle that has two or three wheels, is propelled only by human power and is not a bicycle. Also, unless prohibited by a local ordinance, an individual with a disability may use a special vehicle on sidewalks or sidewalk areas.

Anyone who violates these laws will be subject to the following citations that apply:

• Driving an unregistered motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer or pole trailer on a highway, a $275 fine.

• Driving or attempting to drive a motor vehicle on a highway without the required license and authorization, a $315 fine

• Operating a moped or motor scooter without the required license or permit, a $315 fine

• Causing a child or ward under age 15 to drive a motor vehicle on a highway, a $275 fine

• Knowingly permitting a child or ward under 15 to drive a motor vehicle on a highway, a $275 fine

• Driving a vehicle on a sidewalk and sidewalk area where prohibited, a $55 fine

• Parent or Guardian authorizing a minor or ward to violate bicycle, play vehicle or motor scooter laws, a $35 fine

• Parent or Guarding knowingly permitting a minor or ward to violated bicycle, play vehicle or motor scooter laws, a $35 fine

• Riding a bicycle or motor scooter on a roadway with a maximum posted speed above 50 miles per hour, expressway or controlled access highway, a $35 fine

• Riding a bicycle or motor scooter on a roadway where a smooth bike lane or shoulder is available, a $35 fine

To report someone operating a vehicle illegally, contact the Charles County Sheriff’s Office at 301-932-2222 in La Plata, 301-743-2222 in Indian Head and 301-932-7777 in Waldorf.

General Lee

Parents -

Be sure to adhere to these regulations and keep your kids in check and not allow them to ride these machines on the street. If you don't have land to ride them on, don't buy them. Its as simple as that.

There was a recent law change that is not posted above: Operating a motor vehicle without the required license is now an ARRESTABLE offense. So children and adults can be arrested if they operate ANY motor vehicle (ATV's, pocket rockets, mini bikes, etc) without a license.

keepsmiling

I'm sorry but speaking up for the good kids of Southern Maryland. Remember when Southern Maryland was all about ATVs and dirtbikes, but somewhere along the line as Southern Maryland grew and built; these kids were forgotten. You take the fields and woods away for what, add crime to the area? But you didn't leave anything or give the kids anything to do. It's as if the kids with the dirtbikes and ATVs are treated more like criminals but yet give em a gun and yea that's a great thing to do. Why not find an area in Southern Maryland where these kids can go and ride? Do you know how many kids love it and do it? Drugs, crime and guns aren't involved at all. There isn't anything to do in Southern Maryland for the kids. So you wonder why they hang out at the mall, what is it that Southern Maryland propose the kids to do? When I see a kid riding his/her ATV or dirtbike, I turn the other way. Because they are doing something, not just sitting around watching TV, doing drugs or doing crime. I know I might not have worded this the correct way, but why don't you start thinking of something for these kids to do instead of complaining about everything they do?

ccrc1

keepsmiling,
nothing in any of the laws posted above prohibit youth from riding off road vehicles on someones private property with permission. They all deal with operating off road vehicles on roadways, sidewalks and highways where they absolutely do not belong!

Last edited:

General Lee

Keepsmiling -

You do bring up good points, but parents that encourage or allow the kids to ride in or on illegal areas are risking their safety. Especially with those small pocket rockets, they can't be seen by someone backing out of their own driveway. Not to mention who wants to listen to that noise going up and down the neighborhood street while they are trying to enjoy a peaceful evening.

There is a place to ride in southern Maryland www.atvwannaride.com

princess73

just one of those days...
I agree. The kids need something to do. Leave them alone to ride and play outside. Or else the alternative is for them to stay cooped up in the house all summer and get fat playing video games. A better idea would be for the police to keep an eye on the people that go flying through neighborhoods when kids should be outside playing. If an accident happens it is more likely to be because the driver of a car was going too fast in a neighborhood and didn't see the kid. :whistle:

Vince

Similar problem in my area with the kids riding dirt bikes and ATV's on the roads. It won't stop until one of them gets hit. Just like the kids playing ball in the streets. Been yelling for years to make a football field or basketball court with the extra property that the HOA has, but they all close their ears whenever it's brought up. These kids are going to get plowed by a car sooner or later because the parents don't care.

keepsmiling

I am really surprised for the support for the kids of Southern Maryland. I thought I was going to be eaten alive on this one. General- To be realistic most parents in Southern Maryland can't afford that amount of money per ride. I'm not for the pocket bikes at all....they can't be seen when they come zipping around the corner. But for the dirtbikes and ATVs, I don't agree riding in the neighborhoods, but if a kid is caught riding in woods that isn't theirs, there is a problem, but they used to have so many areas to ride and now they have all been taken away with growth. And I look at that growth, and it's brought nothing to this area but crime and $5.00 an hr jobs. I'm sorry, I'm just trying to figure out what this kids can do in these areas that's legal. I have even seen signs on trails that have said, no horses. It's like we've taken all away for kids to do and then don't give them anything back to do. But thanks for the support and I would like to see someone come up with a plan for the kids to do instead of all the complaining they do. Thanks.

SeaRide

General Lee said:
Parents -

Be sure to adhere to these regulations and keep your kids in check and not allow them to ride these machines on the street. If you don't have land to ride them on, don't buy them. Its as simple as that.

There was a recent law change that is not posted above: Operating a motor vehicle without the required license is now an ARRESTABLE offense. So children and adults can be arrested if they operate ANY motor vehicle (ATV's, pocket rockets, mini bikes, etc) without a license.

Wrong wording above .. or saying it wrong .. I 've operate farm tractors for years before getting a passenger car driver license. I've obeyed the law when driving the farm tractor on the road hauling crops. See what I mean?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Just saw two St Mary's cops patrolling SOuth of the base on ATV's... Think it was last week like Wednesday or Thursday.. They were tooling down 235 in the break down lane.

General Lee

SeaRide said:
Wrong wording above .. or saying it wrong .. I 've operate farm tractors for years before getting a passenger car driver license. I've obeyed the law when driving the farm tractor on the road hauling crops. See what I mean?

There are exemptions to farm equipment.

turklebiff

Another liberty that is taken away from the youth by lawmakers...typical baby boomers "it was ok to do when I was a kid, but it should be illegal now"...