Beware! Leftists in our schools!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Get this:

Tonight we went to my daughter's 8th grade theater arts class play - it was a collection of little skits dealing with the pressure kids face: divorce, death of a loved one, grades, friends, etc.

Toward the end, the teacher comes out and says, "We have an addition to the play that isn't on the program but the children wanted to do it." Then 10 kids get out there and recite this offensive anti-war dreck about how the politicans don't care that everyone's dying, America is bloodthirsty, etc, etc. So after they were done, there was silence, then a little bit of applause (with a loud BOO from yours truly).

So I'm fuming that the teacher would use a bunch of 13 year olds to make her political statement at a school function - then my daughter gives me the rest of the story. Seems the teacher suggested the poem as an addition to the play and the majority of students said no, they weren't going to do it (we are a conservative area here).

To push her agenda, the teacher takes a vote, where 10 students want to do it and the other 20 say no. So the teacher puts the 10 students up there to deliver this little protest.

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?!?!!? I was outraged and will call the principal tomorrow to let her know exactly how inappropriate it is to make a political statement like that at a school function. And I'm sure I won't be the only one. Last time we had a situation like this (after 9-11 the oldest daughter had a substitute who told them that the US deserved to be attacked) I called the school and they told me they'd put my name on the list because they were beling flooded with calls from parents about this sub.

It's not enough that those freaks at college are trying to brainwash the kids - now they're going after the middle school set.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
WTF?! I'd be totally ticked too, and calling the principal is definitely a smart move. You hit the nail on the head here:

So I'm fuming that the teacher would use a bunch of 13 year olds to make her political statement at a school function

SmallTown

Football season!
Not sure booing kids is a good thing, they just did what they were told. Almost as bad as people booing our troops. Regardless of how you feel, take it the ones calling the shots (aka the teacher who made them do it)

But, it was only the ones who wanted to be up there saying it. I'm sure if they had been up there and said "God bless our troops, they have done a wonderful job" there wouldn't be a problem.
Now had they made the students who DIDN"T support it get up there, that would be just awful.

Interesting topics. Death, divorce, but nooooo, don't say anything negative :rolleyes:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I feel no remorse about booing the kids - if they're old enough to make a political statement, they're old enough to get booed. Tough. And they DIDN'T just "do what they were told" - didn't you see the part where 2/3 of the kids refused to do it?

ST, you miss the point (again) - we LIVE in the USA, so singing a patriotic song isn't inappropriate. But politics has no place in the school, and most certainly not at a school function. And it's definitely not that teacher's place to push her political views on her students at all.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by cariblue
Vrai, can I stand next to you when you go off on them?
I'm always polite and reasonable when I call the principal about anything. I'll bet that she didn't know anything about it and willl have a heart attack when she gets her first phone calls tomorrow.

SeaRide

Vrai, could I bring my paintball gun? what color you like? bloody red or queer pinky? :bubble:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It would have been my dream for that teacher to come up and try to chastise me for booing. Normally, after these plays everyone gathers in the lobby to congratulate the performers and teacher and have a little love fest. The teacher didn't even so much as make an announcement that the play was over - they just closed the curtain after the last skit and everyone sat in their chairs for a few minutes, waiting. When it became apparent that she wasn't going to show her face, we all started getting up. So she already knows she's going to pay for that little bit of activism.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
ST, you miss the point (again) - we LIVE in the USA, so singing a patriotic song isn't inappropriate. But politics has no place in the school, and most certainly not at a school function. And it's definitely not that teacher's place to push her political views on her students at all.

But you just said that the 10 who went up there were ones who wanted to be. That isn't pushing her views. Like I said, if she forced everyone to go up there, that is quite different.
And still, booing kids is just sad. Might as well just tell them it is ok to speak out, as long as everyone agrees with you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sorry - this just burns my azz. You can deliver an anti-American peace protest in school but by GOD, you better not say the Pledge of Allegiance! What a messed up bunch of people.

And, ST, too bad. The teacher should have never brought up the act in the first place - it's inappropriate for school. And hopefully the kids will realize that there are consequences to your actions.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
booing kids is just sad
Cry me a river ST. :bawl:

The teacher suggested it to the kids and the majority said no, but she still used those 10 kids to push her message.

SmallTown

Football season!
I'm sorry - this just burns my azz. You can deliver an anti-American peace protest in school but by GOD, you better not say the Pledge of Allegiance! What a messed up bunch of people.

And, ST, too bad. The teacher should have never brought up the act in the first place - it's inappropriate for school. And hopefully the kids will realize that there are consequences to your actions.

So, you would be ok with the speech as long as the pledge of allegiance is recited in schools? I can deal with that. And if someone doesn't want to recite it, they don't have to.

But I do find a few words interesting. "Anti-American peace protest" Hmm, now that is something to think about.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
But I do find a few words interesting. "Anti-American peace protest" Hmm, now that is something to think about.
Why? That's what it was. I've been searching for the text, hoping that maybe she got it from somewhere. So far no luck, but it was pretty offensive.

SmallTown

Football season!
I feel this is a great show of how great this country really is. The ones who wanted to go up there, did. The ones that didn't, didn't. This is the exact things BOTH sides are always striving for (allowing choices to be made, and not forced) and here we are blasting it.
You could always boycott the kids who said it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Peace protests are inappropriate for school. And they're even worse when it's a teacher encouraging the kids to do it. If you don't understand that, then there's nothing for us to talk about. You think it's okay to use 13 year olds to deliver an anti-American diatribe at a school function. I do not. Difference of opinion.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Sharon
Cry me a river ST. :bawl:

The teacher suggested it to the kids and the majority said no, but she still used those 10 kids to push her message.

I'm not crying a river, i'm not the one booing kids.

She didn't "use" them. The 10 agreed to it. They weren't held by their testicles and forced.

And again, I have to ask the question. If the 10 kids were on and they recited pro-war information, would there be an issue? If you say no, then the whole argument is useless. It isn't about politcal messages in schools, but rather political messages you don't agree with in schools. If you say it would be an issue, it goes back to the argument concerning people being upset that the pledge isn't allowed in some places.

SmallTown

Football season!
Peace protests are inappropriate for school. And they're even worse when it's a teacher encouraging the kids to do it. If you don't understand that, then there's nothing for us to talk about. You think it's okay to use 13 year olds to deliver an anti-American diatribe at a school function. I do not. Difference of opinion.

Yea, I would hate for the kids to grow up thinking they have a voice and it doesn't have to follow the mainstream.