AARP and AAA

SamSpade

I have belonged to both in the past but admittedly never made any effort to exploit the benefits. AARP I tried years ago when I became eligible and AAA when I got added to someone else’s subscription.

I’m thinking they might be useful now - I’m only beginning to make use of “senior” benefits (I have a hard time thinking of myself as “senior” but my eyesight says otherwise).

Does anyone use these - a lot - for good use?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I had AAA when I was traveling full time. And it worked because I never broke down once and had to use them.

AARP has nothing I care about, plus they give money to Democrats. If I wanted to donate to Democrats I'd do it directly, not give AARP money and have them do it for me.

Clem72

I used AAA when I had a regular long commute, one 50+ mile tow would pay for several years of subscription. I also had it when I was on travel so the wife would have an easy button to call to arrange service. Think we only ever used it twice.

A lot of what AAA used to provide is now also provided by credit cards and auto insurance (or can be added for a couple dollars a month).

And while i'm just now getting old enough to make use of senior discounts (depending on the age, some places require you to be 65 or 70) I can't recall ever doing so.

In the 80s and 90s they were everywhere. Restaurants, shops, services. I don't ever see them advertised now except for the movie theater (or when they are basically a scam to get you to try their service).

SamSpade

Considering AAA then. It's the fear of a long tow that gets me, especially if I'm traveling with the kids.

Always knew AARP donates to Dems although they claim to be non-partisan. I just wondered if the membership was worth it - lower cost insurance, cell phones, that kind of thing.

Curious - outside of movies and restaurants - does anyone make use of senior discounts? Don't some stores offer like, senior discount Tuesdays or something?

PeoplesElbow

AAA is never getting another cent from me. I called them from a long I-85 in North Carolina, told them what mile marker I was at and they told me they needed to know the county I was in. I didn't know, they couldn't help me.

PeoplesElbow

Considering AAA then. It's the fear of a long tow that gets me, especially if I'm traveling with the kids.

Always knew AARP donates to Dems although they claim to be non-partisan. I just wondered if the membership was worth it - lower cost insurance, cell phones, that kind of thing.

Curious - outside of movies and restaurants - does anyone make use of senior discounts? Don't some stores offer like, senior discount Tuesdays or something?
If you have a GVT ID you can get better discounts with that for things like hotels.

TPD

the poor dad
AAA sucked me in about 5 years ago with a cheap rate. Teenage daughter was driving to a lot of concerts at the time so it gave us all a bit of peace of mind, though I do have the stuff needed to tow vehicles myself. We still have AAA and have used it a couple of times for hotel discounts, but have never called them for any roadside help. I really should cancel and save that $100 a year and maybe take a lavish trip to Miami with that money instead...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I had AAA for a number of years but a couple of wintees ago, I tried to use the battery service when I had a dead battery in my driveway. After three separate attempts they still couldn’t get someone here with a battery. So I told him to screw off after that since they Couldn’t meet a basic service.

AAA is declined the same as every other customer service.

Makavide

Not too talkative
I use AARP to get reduced cost gift cards. read a few articles to earn rewards points, then use the points to get 1 - 15% off face value of gift cards. gift cards for stores, restaurants, cruises etc. I have saved at least $2,000 over the last 9 years on cruises alone.

Last edited: