Christmas presents

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Trying to come up with Christmas present ideas for a five year old autistic kid, any help would be appreciated.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Depending upon how far along he is some type of building toy, like Legos, etc. or something a little more intriguing like spirograph maybe.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I’m not sure what this means exactly. High/low functioning means what at that age?
Some autistic are so withdrawn that normal toys won't work. High functioning means fairly normal, but has quirks like severe sensitivity to loud sounds, or very OCD. I have a friend who is autistic, but is a board-certified doctor, but has severe OCD. Sounds like this person is on the higher side of normal, so something to occupy his hands and mind like Kyle suggested sounds more appropriate.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Some autistic are so withdrawn that normal toys won't work. High functioning means fairly normal, but has quirks like severe sensitivity to loud sounds, or very OCD. I have a friend who is autistic, but is a board-certified doctor, but has severe OCD. Sounds like this person is on the higher side of normal, so something to occupy his hands and mind like Kyle suggested sounds more appropriate.
I understand what you are getting at, but with all due respect, it's harder to quantify this (for lack of better terminology) at his age. That's because there is a wide range of normal and it also varies greatly where the child is on that autistic spectrum.

He's 5. If he is at age level, then all things that might be interesting to a 5 year old will apply. Thing1 was/is not on the autistic spectrum, but had developmental delays at that age. He also had a tendency to perseverate or hyperfocus on certain things, but I found that (when he was 5, which was in 1996) a lot of electronic learning toys (made by V-Tech, back then) were beneficial to him, as they were very interactive. Now, you have SO many more electronic devices that are available. He LOVED music.

As mentioned above, Legos and other manipulative toys are really good, as they teach much more than just building and making items, and they are good for fine motor skills, etc.

Like Vrai said - more information is needed. What are his interests? Does he like certain sports, or certain movie characters? Does he like music? If he is non-verbal, then maybe some type of interactive electronic device, which would even increase his verbal skills, or communicaion skills in some way, as well.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
@Merlin99 - it's been awhile since I've been on the search for these types of gifts - nearly 3 decades! How is THAT even possible!? :lol:

However, the basics really never change. I think all toys for kids, need to be developmentally appropriate, obviously, and fun above all else. They can ALSO teach, and I always strived to get gifts that helped Thing1 in some skill. This, I am 100% sure, is why he HAS to listen to music every day. He has had some form of music player in his room at night since he was 6 months old.

I found this link last night, and there are all kinds of ideas for children with autism/developmental delays, etc. They are geared towards various interests, skill levels, and to whatever skill a child might benefit from developing more.

The article itself also has very good information!!

lucky_bee

RBF expert
There's a lot of these STEM "put it together yourself" type toys lately and my son LOVES them. My BFF's son is also 5 and autistic and he enjoys these as well. The link below is just an example, but we've been able to find many versions depending on their interests. Walmart recently had a " put it together yourself" race car and a Jeep, but he also has construction vehicles too. I believe there's animal versions too, if you look hard enough.

Walmart Take Apart Construction Trucks

SamSpade

There's a lot of these STEM "put it together yourself" type toys lately and my son LOVES them. My BFF's son is also 5 and autistic and he enjoys these as well. The link below is just an example, but we've been able to find many versions depending on their interests. Walmart recently had a " put it together yourself" race car and a Jeep, but he also has construction vehicles too. I believe there's animal versions too, if you look hard enough.

Walmart Take Apart Construction Trucks
How I wish my son had ever been interested in that - but he was far more interested in taking apart presents that weren't SUPPOSED to be taken apart.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
How I wish my son had ever been interested in that - but he was far more interested in taking apart presents that weren't SUPPOSED to be taken apart.
My son's immediate reaction to ANY toy or gift is to dismantle it, testing it's strength, our puppy's resiliency, and my patience. I'm so very thankful for these, and we're almost at the age he'll know better that some toys are purposefully for taking apart, and others need to remain intact. Almost there at 3-1/2, but superglue is always on hand in our household :banghead:

When my mom got him something similar to that toy in the link, and I happened to show my BFF with her 5 yr old. She tried it out and he seems to enjoy them. It's a lot of trial and error for them, unfortunately. One of his favorite toys is actually a silicone ear :lol:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I kind of got in to the technical field by being this way, then being told to put it back together.