DOJ Files Landmark Lawsuit Against Apple Over iPhone Monopoly

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The DOJ and 16 state attorneys general claimed Apple attempted to limit competition, which harms consumers, small businesses, and app developers via the firm’s App Store and other Apple features. Apple has long placed significant restrictions on what can be downloaded through its App Store, saying that those rules are designed to bolster Apple device users’ privacy and security.

But the broad suit accuses Apple of a range of illegal behavior, saying that it controls automotive services and news services, digital wallets, and puts restrictions on third-party apps. It also claims the Cupertino, California-based tech giant places controls on messages sent from an iPhone to a non-iPhone user in its default messaging service.

Apple, the DOJ alleged, engaged in monopolistic behavior by making its Apple Watch only compatible with iPhones.

“Consumers should not have to pay higher prices because companies violate the antitrust laws,” Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement announcing the lawsuit. “If left unchallenged, Apple will only continue to strengthen its smartphone monopoly.”

Further, the lawsuit accuses Apple of an illegal monopoly on smartphones maintained by imposing contractual restrictions on, and withholding critical access from developers. Apple has already been subject to antitrust probes and orders in Europe, Japan, and Korea, as well as lawsuits from corporate rivals such as Epic Games.

TPD

the poor dad
When you buy an apple product, you should know you are buying the whole ecosystem, which is what makes apple different from its competitors. If you are going after apple then go after google next. Then Deere and GM and Ford - their parts won’t work on each other’s products either.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've been boycotting Apple® since 1982. If I cannot tailor the hardware and software to my particular wants and needs, the company's products are useless to me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Either Apple didn't pay its protection money or there's something in this for them.

Apple hasn't played well with others since it was invented. Why go after them now?