High levels of toxic chemical found in sports bras

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Summary by Ground News

New testing on a variety of popular branded sports bras and athletic wear has revealed high levels of BPA, a chemical compound that's used to make certain types of plastic and can lead to harmful health effects such as asthma, cardiovascular disease and obesity.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Silicon is toxic? Who knew?
1665755914490.jpeg

Clem72

Summary by Ground News

New testing on a variety of popular branded sports bras and athletic wear has revealed high levels of BPA, a chemical compound that's used to make certain types of plastic and can lead to harmful health effects such as asthma, cardiovascular disease and obesity.

If I have said it once, I have said it a million times. Quit eating your sports bras people.

Edited to explain the joke/not joke. There are no studies that show BPA in clothing is linked to the same health effects as it is when used in food containers. In fact, there is only one published study that even attempted to test this hypothesis, and even with outrageously conservative assumptions it found transmission of chemicals to be 25 times less than in food containers, and only when both mixed with "sweat" and then that sweat is ingested. So Like I said, don't eat your sports bras and you'll be fine.

Only one study provides experimental migration rates of BPA from clothing into artificial sweat (Wang et al. 2019). Based on these reported migration rates, migration fractions were calculated under conservative assumptions, with a 2-hour chronic daily contact of the whole trunk to clothes fully soaked in sweat for men and women. As for children, exposure to sweaty clothes was considered with additional oral exposure due to sucking on clothes. From these calculations, it can be estimated that for adults the internal total BPA exposure due to clothing is between 1.56 - 9.90 ng/kg bw/d. For toddlers, exposure to total BPA via clothing is higher i.e. between 2.37 – 14.8 ng/kg bw/d. Compared to the dietary exposure previously assessed by EFSA (2015), the exposure to BPA through clothing is at least 25 times lower. Due to the many upper bound scenario decisions made in the exposure assessment, this difference may be much larger in reality. Moreover, taking into account that Wang et al. (2019) is the only study as yet available for BPA migration rates from clothes and that very large migration fractions have been determined, it has to be confirmed that migration of BPA from clothes is really that high. In future studies, reproducibility of the migration experiment should be investigated, and time-dependent and fabricspecific migration rates derived.

Last edited: