How Many Rounds Will A 400 Dollar AR-15 Last?

glhs837

Power with Control
I understand they were doing a torture test ....

I would like to believe the barrel would last more than 6000 rounds if used at a slower pace .....

Exactly, with proper care and cleaning, it should last most folks a service lifetime. Not doing full auto and using a supressor make a difference as well. In even a moderate zombie apocalypse you would be okay. SHTF civil unrest, by the time its done, either you are, or your hooked up with a group that can offer support.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
At $400 that was cheaper than my Ruger and far, far cheaper than my custom AR.

Lasting even 10k with normal use would be a good value.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Exactly, with proper care and cleaning, it should last most folks a service lifetime.

I was curious about the machine marks noted in the chamber ...
I wondered if a light polish might smooth things out

without changing the chamber dimensions

glhs837

Power with Control
At $400 that was cheaper than my Ruger and far, far cheaper than my custom AR.

Lasting even 10k with normal use would be a good value.

Still need a stripped lower to go with it. But those are not a lot.

I was curious about the machine marks noted in the chamber ...
I wondered if a light polish might smooth things out

without changing the chamber dimensions

probably could, but it didnt affect function, right?

black dog

Free America
Exactly, with proper care and cleaning, it should last most folks a service lifetime. Not doing full auto and using a supressor make a difference as well. In even a moderate zombie apocalypse you would be okay. SHTF civil unrest, by the time its done, either you are, or your hooked up with a group that can offer support.
We do both and I have for about 40 years now. I have never seen any accelerated wear from using a can, any extra heat is going to be in the can itself. If someone is having excessive gas port wear, the platform is not setup properly for a can on it.
Now excessive barrel wear from shooting full auto is easily possible. Once it glows, its about done. Most times with the M16/AR platform when the gas tube starts glowing it will fail before the barrel.