I want to go live in a cabin in the woods with no technology

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...because then I'd never have to call "tech support" and sit on the phone for hours first trying to get a human on the phone, and then having them walk me through fixing my problem.

I'm teched out. Except for the Kindle app on my tablet. I still need that.

Clem72

...because then I'd never have to call "tech support" and sit on the phone for hours first trying to get a human on the phone, and then having them walk me through fixing my problem.

I'm teched out. Except for the Kindle app on my tablet. I still need that.
Why not a real kindle, it's even less "techy" (and better for outdoor viewing if you're into that).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why not a real kindle, it's even less "techy" (and better for outdoor viewing if you're into that).

I haven't had a lot of luck with Kindles but you're right - just a Kindle reader I wouldn't even need an internet connection to get books unless they changed it.

Clem72

I haven't had a lot of luck with Kindles but you're right - just a Kindle reader I wouldn't even need an internet connection to get books unless they changed it.
Unfortunately they did remove the free cellular connection. But the screens are nicer and refresh much faster now than in the past, the contrast is better (e.g. "paper white"), and they have back lighting which is great for keeping it low weight and non-awkward when reading in bed at night.

To update from the Amazon bookstore you need to connect it to your wireless, or you can download any ebooks online like from project Gutenberg, convert them to a Kindle compatible format like mobi/azw3 and copy straight over USB cable if you would prefer.

limblips

PREMO Member
My little cabin in the woods I have built over the last two summers. Will be finished this year. No TV or internet. I do have water and electric and propane hot water. We have a shower but the toilet is a small building over a hole in the ground 100 feet away. The second pic is the view from the screened porch. On about 5 acres in the Adirondacks 1000 feet from the public road. A few days here and all is right again!
]
1711146868930.png
1711147570535.jpeg 1711147750849.jpeg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My little cabin in the woods I have built over the last two summers. Will be finished this year. No TV or internet. I do have water and electric and propane hot water. We have a shower but the toilet is a small building over a hole in the ground 100 feet away. The second pic is the view from the screened porch. On about 5 acres in the Adirondacks 1000 feet from the public road. A few days here and all is right again!
] View attachment 176159 View attachment 176161 View attachment 176162

Yeah, I'ma need a proper bathroom though..... :lol: But I love the rest of it!

Reactions: rio

limblips

PREMO Member
Yeah, I'ma need a proper bathroom though..... :lol: But I love the rest of it!
Wife feels the same way as you. That's what makes the place so enjoyable, she won't stay until I get a toilet. Seriously, the Adirondack Park Agency is tougher than MD on septic systems within 100 miles of water. I am thinking of just putting in a 1000 gallon pump out tank. A pump out is not too expensive.

limblips

PREMO Member
Perfect! Post plans!
What are these plans you speak of? Just standard stick built. The plans for the blackwater pump out is just dropping a 1000 gallon tank in a hole and plumb it to the toilet. It is basically just a fermentation/ holding tank. I checked on pump out costs last summmer it was $350. I figure at a gallon a flush I should get through the summer before pumping. If I see a guy peeing in the toilet I'll make him drink it. Pick a tree and pee!

jrt_ms1995

What are these plans you speak of? Just standard stick built. The plans for the blackwater pump out is just dropping a 1000 gallon tank in a hole and plumb it to the toilet. It is basically just a fermentation/ holding tank. I checked on pump out costs last summmer it was $350. I figure at a gallon a flush I should get through the summer before pumping. If I see a guy peeing in the toilet I'll make him drink it. Pick a tree and pee!
Just what I was looking for! TY