Local Political Debates

TPD

the poor dad
My thoughts about Larry Hogan thinking Lorenzini was more qualified kind of put me off a little.
Has he endorsed her? Maybe she did not seek his endorsement.? Maybe that was a smart move?
I think Hogan was the one who originally appointed her, with Sue Ann’s name also submitted for the appointment.

smc_local

I don't know anything about Amy Lorenzini other than what I just read on her website. What I took note of is it doesn't appear she is native to St. Mary's, not that there's anything wrong with that. The other thing I see is she started out working as a government employee in what I assume is the good ole' boy network, 1st as a law clerk for Kaminetz, and then in the St. Mary's County State's attorney's office, which I assume she would have worked under Richard Fritz, but I have nothing to back that up, just assumption, based on her timeline. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that either. What really gives me pause is her 1st appointment and then endorsement by the esteemed Larry Hogan.

As a kid, I grew up with Sue Ann. Her mother and my mother were best friends. She grew up in Ridge, but wasn't a "Ridge Runner". I believe she has had her own practice in Lexington Park since coming out of law school - 30+ years. I have never used her services, but have had "informal" talks with her over the years on legal advice. Between her and her secretary of many years, the 2 of them gave countless hours and $ to St. Michael's school over the years to keep it a viable part of the community. As a person, Sue Ann is sincere. As a lawyer, I always heard you wanted her on your side in a divorce battle. Luckily I've never had to see that firsthand.

I really don't know how either woman will be as a judge in the circuit court. I guess you would have to delve into their past case history to see how they argued them and whether they won or lost. What I do know is that a small business owner usually has much more experience in life in general with a bit more common sense (me excluded of course). And so 99% of the time, I'm voting for the small business owner who is running for elected office. That person has usually seen something that has aggravated them enough that they feel they can make a change as an elected official.

Just my 2¢
Just a note that Judge Lorenzini was a partner in private practice for nearly 20 years before deciding she wanted to be a Judge and going for it. She was in her 20s when she clerked and assisted the state's attorney for St Mary's... far from being a good ol boy. :) Sue Ann is "from the county" <-- her words, so I'd say she is part of the good ol boy network and knows many more people in St Mary's than Amy does. So do you trust she could be impartial as Judge? Maybe, maybe not.

You mention her contributions to St Michael's. I believe she is on their board, among other private school boards in the county, which isn't a bad thing... However, unless you sway your decisions as an attorney to benefit those organizations. I saw this Letter to the editor today on Baynet that discusses concerns about that... It's kind of lengthy, but worth the read. and it's what reminded me of this thread so thought I'd share.

The Circuit Court Judge is a 15-year term. Amy Lorenzini is currently sitting as Judge, since 2022, and she has done well. She has sentenced beyond "sentencing guidelines", she has been fair and still firm in her cases, and she treats her jurors with respect and understanding (find one and ask them, I've had several tell me this about her). She is very impressive if you get a chance to meet or speak to her. Why should anyone gamble on replacing her with someone who has less experience in the diverse areas of law that are covered in the Circuit Court? Just because she is "from the county" and "really wants this"? Amy wants this too, that's why she went for it in 2022 and obtained it in the first place.

The Candidate Forum is tomorrow if anybody would like to see how both candidates, including school board candidates, respond to many questions that will be asked of them. Lex Park Library, 5pm Meet and Greet, 5:30 start to the forum.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Just a note that Judge Lorenzini was a partner in private practice for nearly 20 years before deciding she wanted to be a Judge and going for it. She was in her 20s when she clerked and assisted the state's attorney for St Mary's... far from being a good ol boy. :) Sue Ann is "from the county" <-- her words, so I'd say she is part of the good ol boy network and knows many more people in St Mary's than Amy does. So do you trust she could be impartial as Judge? Maybe, maybe not.

You mention her contributions to St Michael's. I believe she is on their board, among other private school boards in the county, which isn't a bad thing... However, unless you sway your decisions as an attorney to benefit those organizations. I saw this Letter to the editor today on Baynet that discusses concerns about that... It's kind of lengthy, but worth the read. and it's what reminded me of this thread so thought I'd share.

The Circuit Court Judge is a 15-year term. Amy Lorenzini is currently sitting as Judge, since 2022, and she has done well. She has sentenced beyond "sentencing guidelines", she has been fair and still firm in her cases, and she treats her jurors with respect and understanding (find one and ask them, I've had several tell me this about her). She is very impressive if you get a chance to meet or speak to her. Why should anyone gamble on replacing her with someone who has less experience in the diverse areas of law that are covered in the Circuit Court? Just because she is "from the county" and "really wants this"? Amy wants this too, that's why she went for it in 2022 and obtained it in the first place.

The Candidate Forum is tomorrow if anybody would like to see how both candidates, including school board candidates, respond to many questions that will be asked of them. Lex Park Library, 5pm Meet and Greet, 5:30 start to the forum.
Amy... it that you?

smc_local

That's funny!! LOL No, but I have known Amy for 30+ years and know all about her integrity, character, and most importantly experience and background. :)

glhs837

Power with Control
Amy... it that you?

Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

There is a candidate forum (debate) on April 11 at the Lex Park library. It’s important to hear both sides! Our current judge was appointed by Hogan over her opponent. It’s important to know they both “applied” for the job, and Judge Lorenzini was chosen because she is more qualified.
Any truth to the rumor that her wealthy parents promised a sizable donation to Hogan, when he was considering a White House bid?

I guess the obvious answer is, “No”?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I can think of more than a few men who would throw Armitage an anvil to save her from drowning.....she must be counting on the female vote. ;-p

• Haha
Reactions: TPD

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
So, I heard an interesting argument for electing Amy.

Because Sue Ann has been practicing law in SMC for so many years, she would have a connection to most folks coming before her in court and would have to recuse herself.

Comments?