Massive Tesla price drop

glhs837

Power with Control
New Prices.jpg

So, given a 25% profit margin before these cuts, they are still making good money, better than industry margins by a good bit. And of course, commodity prices have dropped. This also allows all the Model 3 and Model Y to qualify for the $7500 federal tax credit. The market for used ones is going to take a beating. Nobody has even done anything like this. I don't think, so seeing how it plays out will be interesting. I think the market will freak out to the negative, not counting volume over margin. With Austin ramping up, volume will increase also.

Now, I personally don't agree with the tax credit, but its there and they would be foolish to not use it as a demand lever.

Clem72

I have gotten used to larger vehicles. Really looking for an electric SUV, but I don't have Tesla X money. Not even reduced price Tesla X money.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm going to have to let my truck idle an extra hour a day to make up for all the de-emmissioning of the atmosphere.

glhs837

Power with Control
I guess no one is buying them so they dropped the price and pray
With a +40% year over year sales increase thats not the case. More about making sure they qualify for the tax credit.
I have gotten used to larger vehicles. Really looking for an electric SUV, but I don't have Tesla X money. Not even reduced price Tesla X money.

You might take a look at the Y. It's a bit deceptive, and doesn't have the "Faberge Egg" falcon wing doors that the X does.

You ever notice the Tesla models are S3XY? :D
Of course.... :)

PeoplesElbow

I can understand the price dropping of the low end models to be eligible for the tax credit, but why lower the price of the luxury models that have no competition?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Clearing out stock to get money to reinvest in newer models?

Musk is always looking forward to bigger and better, and the current models are already old news to him.

glhs837

Power with Control
Clearing out stock to get money to reinvest in newer models?

Musk is always looking forward to bigger and better, and the current models are already old news to him.
They have about 20 billion cash on hand they don't need extra cash. I think this is really both a way to hit the tax credit and a flex on the competition that they can do this and still make more profit. Heck, Ford's CFO has recently said they are not making any money on the Mach-E, and I suspect the same for the Lightning.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think I would weight those factors a bit differently. When you look at the numbers of competitors sold, there are simply not enough. Of them, even cumulatively. I think the death of the waiting list is the big thing.