New Scam Warning

GopherM

Darwin was right
New dangerous scam: I just received a text message that notified me that a "USPS package has arrived at the warehouse and cannot be delivered due to incomplete address. Please confirm your address within 12 hrs."
It contains a hyperlink to what looks like a legitimate postal service website. I entered the link into my computer to see if my security software blocked it, but the address entered into the computer takes me to the USPS website, but there was no other information or link there to update the information the text referred to.
Evidentially, the link in the text has some hidden link code buried in it. Since I was taken to a safe site on my computer I felt safe to hit the link in the text. Again, I was taken to what appeared to be an actual USPS site that looked almost exactly like what I had gotten on my computer, but this site did contain a tab to update my address for package delivery. I filled out the name and address information (that anyone searching my name could get easily enough). When I hit the "Update Information" button a page came up requesting that I enter my credit card information to authorize the 30 cent re-delivery fee. DING, DING, DING...the alarm went off for me at that point.
I went back to the official USPS site and scrolled down the page to look for any scam warnings they may have posted and there it was. They even have a short YouTube video addressing the issue.
The biggest takeaway from the USPS warning is, they will NEVER text you anything period. If you used the Informed Deliver service that you can sign up for at their sight, you will receive email updates on mail and packages that they are scheduled to deliver. We use that service and each morning I receive an email and if the print material is small enough the email will include a photo of each letter.
Sorry that this is so long but this is extremely important information to have to protect us all, especially at this time of year when we may be expecting items that we have ordered or packages that other people may be sending us for the holidays.
I hope you find this information helpful and stay safe on the web and out in the world.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Not really new, been getting emails with that same text for a long time. Fortunately, it goes right to the spam folder, all I have to do is delete it.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm getting the one that says my debit card has been denied and that I have to fix the date for it to go through. Doesn't say where it was used or for how much so I haven't clicked the link to see how they're going to try to get the rest of the digits.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
And sorry, but when I saw "New Dangerous Scam", the very first thing I thought about was the infamous "It will delete your 'C:' Drive!!!"

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And sorry, but when I saw "New Dangerous Scam", the very first thing I thought about was the infamous "It will delete your 'C:' Drive!!!"
I get probably 2-3 emails a day claiming they will expose all my on-line sex posts with DeeJay if i don't send them 5 grand in bit coin.

I sent the money..got nothin'...I'm pissed off now.

frequentflier

happy to be living
New dangerous scam: I just received a text message that notified me that a "USPS package has arrived at the warehouse and cannot be delivered due to incomplete address. Please confirm your address within 12 hrs."
It contains a hyperlink to what looks like a legitimate postal service website. I entered the link into my computer to see if my security software blocked it, but the address entered into the computer takes me to the USPS website, but there was no other information or link there to update the information the text referred to.
Evidentially, the link in the text has some hidden link code buried in it. Since I was taken to a safe site on my computer I felt safe to hit the link in the text. Again, I was taken to what appeared to be an actual USPS site that looked almost exactly like what I had gotten on my computer, but this site did contain a tab to update my address for package delivery. I filled out the name and address information (that anyone searching my name could get easily enough). When I hit the "Update Information" button a page came up requesting that I enter my credit card information to authorize the 30 cent re-delivery fee. DING, DING, DING...the alarm went off for me at that point.
I went back to the official USPS site and scrolled down the page to look for any scam warnings they may have posted and there it was. They even have a short YouTube video addressing the issue.
The biggest takeaway from the USPS warning is, they will NEVER text you anything period. If you used the Informed Deliver service that you can sign up for at their sight, you will receive email updates on mail and packages that they are scheduled to deliver. We use that service and each morning I receive an email and if the print material is small enough the email will include a photo of each letter.
Sorry that this is so long but this is extremely important information to have to protect us all, especially at this time of year when we may be expecting items that we have ordered or packages that other people may be sending us for the holidays.
I hope you find this information helpful and stay safe on the web and out in the world.
I have received several texts like that and knew it was bogus because I rarely give my cell phone number out and do not order anything that comes from the postal service.
But thanks for sharing!

Makavide

Not too talkative
There was a warning put out that some of web links being used in the scam emails are using Cyrillic alphabet in place of some Roman alphabet letters.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I got an email today from IRS saying after annual calculations of my fiscal activity, they determined that I am eligible to receive a tax return of $976. To process, complete the tax return form before dec. 7th. Then a link for tax return form. DELETE!