Smoker boxes

SamSpade

I love my smoker, but I don't use it that often mainly because - it's kind of a lot of work when I DO use it. Cleaning, set up and I have this thing that if I'm going to fire it up AT ALL - it might as well be FULL.

Years ago, I took a cooking class where they used smoke boxes to be used on a stove top. I've since seen this on cooking competitions, where the competitor uses one for smaller portions. I ordered one recently, along with smoker BOXES to be used on the grill.

My first attempt was - less than fruitful. It produced smoke all right, but most of the chips were charcoal and never produced a lot. I read on a Reddit that you SHOULD not wet the chips first.

Has anyone used a smoke box on their grill? Is there a trick to getting maximum smoke?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The one I had for my grill was fairly large and I used wood chunks instead of chips.

They last a lot longer.

Also, I soaked them for 24 hours before using them.

The one I had for my grill was fairly large and I used wood chunks instead of chips.

They last a lot longer.

Grilling is usually faster cooking time than is typically required to achieve true smoke flavor. We you satisfied?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Grilling is usually faster cooking time than is typically required to achieve true smoke flavor. We you satisfied?
The meat was put off to one side, away from the burner, and the only one lit was under the smoke box.

It kept the temp inside just right and smoked for a couple hours.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I put the chips in a Mason Jar with water. I have a food saver device with attachments to draw a vacuum on Mason Jars.
About an hour soak under vacuum.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
I've used one with my pellet grill, when the temp is on Smoke it will stay running at 140" or hotter. I just fill up my smoke box and get it burning with a propane torch and it just chugs away.