The Gold Standard

SamSpade

You know - I don't really grasp more about our money system than the average American.

Actually, from what I read online, I might actually know a LOT more than the average American - but probably not enough.

I hear way too many people saying that our currency needs to be based on something of value, most often mentioned as the gold standard

What would happen - if it did? My concern about that is, at current levels of debt and expense - and actual reserves of gold - don't even come CLOSE to the amount of money we have in circulation. I read that Fort Knox has maybe 250 billion in gold. We SPEND more than 10-20 times that each year - and our total DEBT far exceeds that.

So what does - going to a gold standard do, to that? Does it cause the value of gold to skyrocket? Or does it completely diminish the current value of the dollar?

Does an actual "standard" - mean anything?

Reactions: BOP

HemiHauler

You know - I don't really grasp more about our money system than the average American.

Actually, from what I read online, I might actually know a LOT more than the average American - but probably not enough.

I hear way too many people saying that our currency needs to be based on something of value, most often mentioned as the gold standard

What would happen - if it did? My concern about that is, at current levels of debt and expense - and actual reserves of gold - don't even come CLOSE to the amount of money we have in circulation. I read that Fort Knox has maybe 250 billion in gold. We SPEND more than 10-20 times that each year - and our total DEBT far exceeds that.

So what does - going to a gold standard do, to that? Does it cause the value of gold to skyrocket? Or does it completely diminish the current value of the dollar?

Does an actual "standard" - mean anything?

The simplest way to understand the gold standard—or more generally, having our currency backed by something of value—is to understand that removing the gold standard is what permitted deficit spending and the transition to Modern Monetary Theory.

Alan Greenspan and Ayn Rand were road dogs in NYC and he wrote about it in her publication, The Objectivist. And you know what he went on to do with his life…

SamSpade

Ok - having briefly read both links - I know a lot more about its history and what lead to its dissolution.

What I don't know is the answer to the two questions I mentioned - what would happen to GOLD if it were re-adopted?
And on a related note - is there ANY commodity in the world whose mining could keep up with the value of money needed?

As near as I can tell - if the U.S. had ALL THE GOLD left in the world - it wouldn't be anywhere near useful at today's prices.
So - going back to the gold standard wouldn't work, even if we were able to get all the gold on the planet.

Worse - because of the essentially arbitrary value of the dollar - there exists a possibility it could be rendered valueless.
Unlikely - but possible.

Ok - having briefly read both links - I know a lot more about its history and what lead to its dissolution.

What I don't know is the answer to the two questions I mentioned - what would happen to GOLD if it were re-adopted?
And on a related note - is there ANY commodity in the world whose mining could keep up with the value of money needed?

As near as I can tell - if the U.S. had ALL THE GOLD left in the world - it wouldn't be anywhere near useful at today's prices.
So - going back to the gold standard wouldn't work, even if we were able to get all the gold on the planet.

Worse - because of the essentially arbitrary value of the dollar - there exists a possibility it could be rendered valueless.
Unlikely - but possible.
The way I see it, gold is a finite commodity. There are way more dollars in circulation than gold on hand to back it up. Per the link "if the U.S. sets the price of gold at $500 an ounce, the value of the dollar would be 1/500th of an ounce of gold". Today's price per ounce: Gold Price per Ounce USD Au Current Price $2,024.81.

We have printed and put way more money into circulation than can be 'valued' if we had to have gold to back it. It would cost more for the match used to burn a dollar than the value of a dollar. We are now paying more in interest on our debt than we are spending on DoD. We are living in a big Ponzi scheme. It is why we now have safeguards in place to PREVENT the general public from pulling out 'THEIR' money when a bank is in dire straits. There isn't enough true money on hand to pay it all back.... anywhere... not just that bank. We can never go back.

HemiHauler

Unlikely - but possible.

In short, wheelbarrow loads of money for a loaf of bread. Coupled with the inability of central banks to jigger with various knobs to address.

Money backed by hard commodities is a cool idea. But the property that makes it cool is also the downfall: limited supply.

Hijinx

IMO one of the reasons the dollar is so inflated above the value of gold is because we did away with the gold standard ,If we had kept the standard the price of Gold would have soared along with the dollar. But I am no authority. Gold diamonds silver, even copper will always have some value unlike the Confederate money we have been printing which in reality has no value at all except that it is accepted, but like the Confederate dollar if we keep printing it like we have been doing it too will lose any value. When our debt reaches a point that other countries refuse our dollar and start making us pay in Yen or Rubles we will be up crap creek without a paddle.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Unlikely - but possible.

First ... What we use today as money, is not money.
Second ... it really was not a "gold standard" per se, but a bi-metal standard, using sliver and gold at a ratio of 15 ounces of silver to one ounce of gold.
Third ... The definition of a "dollar" was defined by congress via the Coinage Act of 1792 as 371.25 grains of fine silver. And the Gold standard Act of 1900 defined a dollar at 25.8 grains of 90% pure gold.
Forth ... You do not understand what is money.

Money, "specie", comes from, and represents, the labor necessary to produce an ounce of silver, or an ounce of gold. It is labor, a person's labor, a person's sweat and toil, that gives every Thing its value. Think of it this way, a miner of silver, after long hours manages to find some silver and has it smelted and converted into 20 one ounce coins by the government. The silver coins are his property, produced from his labor. They are his personally owned non-taxable property, because it would be considered theft to take from a person's own productivity. A wood-maker makes chairs from trees he felled himself. He's made, and now owns, 15 rocking chairs. The miner wants a rocking chair. The wood-maker sells, trades, one of his chairs for an ounce of silver. All things being equal, it took each man about 10 hours to mine an ounce of silver, and make a chair. It is the labor involved that makes the coin and chair have value.

The currency we use today has a counter-party. The currency we use today is issued by a private business, not answerable to Congress, at interest. You do not own the "money" you have. The banks own the money, currency. Every dollar in circulation represents debt. Who's debt? Everyone's debt. Mortgage debt, commercial debt, credit card debt, you name the debt, it is all debt. Every single paper dollar is debt, represents debt.

Gold and silver coins, along with nickles and copper pennies do not represent debt. Because they have no counter-party.

If we are in over $34 Trillion in debt as a Nation, from where did the money come from? Did these private banks, all these years, decades, have these trillions of dollars in a vault just waiting to be lent? No no no. They create it all out of thin air as a simple accounting ledger entry.

The arrow in the chart below shows when Nixon, in 1971, took us off the Bretton Woods International Monetary System agreement ending the convertibility of the dollar into gold for other nations trading with the US. After which we have a complete fiat, by dictate, currency.

How our Nation's money, specie, has been taken away and debased; It began in 1913 when Woodrow Wilson signed the Federal Reserve Act. In 1933 FDR confiscated our gold, and gave it to the banksters. In 1964 all silver was removed from our coinage. And last, in 1982, the penny had its copper removed and now is copper coated zinc. All our coinage is nothing but cheap worthless tokens. Well, except for the nickle which does have a metal value of about 7 cents.

You, me, we, are all slaves to the monetary system today, and at its complete mercy. There is absolutely no value in the currency we use today. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. Other than force and intimidation to make us use it.

We have all been forced into playing the game of three card monty, and we are the marks. We will always lose. We have been, generation after generation after generation, been lead to believe what we are using is real money. When in reality we are nothing but slaves to the banking interests and their fake money.

Understand this. The banks have no money, none. But they do buy lots and lots of gold bullion with their fake made out of thin air so-called "money". Now why is that? If gold, or silver, has no value, monetarily, why do banks, and countries, continue to buy and store it in underground vaults?

The private, in-it-for-their-own-enrichment, banks control everything. E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. The banks create currency that has no value. For the banksters, it is all about control. Control of the people. And getting rich by stealing the production of people's labor.

This is a detailed and nuanced subject. If you have questions, I am back in the house.

The chart below shows the definition of "exponential". Now, after four years since the chart was made, and having today a total of $34 Trillion in National debt. It takes it well off the top of the chart, but only just four steps to the right. Can you see where all this is heading? This Nation is being lead to slaughter.

By the way, it is not that prices are going up, or gold prices are going up, it is the "value" of the dollar that is going down. Aka, Inflation.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F55a4eb76-f666-4664-bb4e-05632ba271c1_550x1024.jpeg

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Back in the day, they took regulating the Nation's coinage pretty seriously.

In the Coinage Act of 1792. Section 19 is one of the most important. It states that, “That if any of the gold or silver coins which shall be struck or coined at the said Mint shall be debased or made worse as to the proportion of fine gold or fine silver therein contained……every such officer or person who shall commit any or either of the said offences, shall be deemed guilty of felony, and shall suffer death.”

About Sovereignty: We, as a Nation, gave up our Sovereignty, again, to foreign private banking interests in 1913. It is these groups of people that control whole Nations and Countries. They subvert our Constitution; payoff, bribe, extort, threaten, blackmail any and all politicians and high level officials to ensure that "their" malevolent plans are executed to their benefit, not ours. We have had a one world 'government' now for many many many years. The bankers are the government that is controlling all governments.

We, the people, have no governmental control over these parasitic tyrants.

In 1970, before Nixon ended the convertibility of the dollar to gold, and in years prior, a man could support a family of four or five. A wife who didn't have to work, kids, a house and vehicle.

Today (2024), the average salary is $40,000. Gold is about $2350 an oz.. 250 oz of Gold, is now well over $500,000 in today’s purchasing power vs $10,000 for 250 oz, in 1970.

Inflation. I would wager that a person starting a career, say in 1990 might start out at $30,000, today in 2024, after years of raises, that person might now being being paid $71,690. Which means that they are still being paid what they started out with, relative to the inflation caused by the increase of the money supply. So while people may think they are making more money, in fact, they are not, since, it now takes more of that money today to buy the same goods and services as before. In other words, whatever someone starts out at in their work beginning, all things being the same, is their lifetime annual wage amount.

As an experiment, go here and put in your starting salary from when you started work in your private sector career. Not as a self-employed person, only as an employee. Since business can vastly fluctuate, and grow from many factors. I say private employee because governmental employees are a protected class. And see what you come up with.

Oh, and banks today are not banks. They are nothing but large accounting firms. Since they hold nothing of value, or issue anything of value. Money today is conjured out of thin air. The question is, how can something have any value if it is a product of fraud? Money today is produced by fraud. What is said to be, "On the Full Faith and Credit of the United States", actually means that those in government will do everything necessary to continue the enslavement of its people to satisfy the banking elite.

And would someone tell @SamSpade to read this so he might understand better the BS system we've been forced to live under? Since he blocked me awhile ago becasue somehow I caused him to be butt hurt in some way.

Reactions: TPD

PJay

NESARA. Believe it or don't.

I listen to Dr. Scott Young he explains what's coming perfectly. He's on YouTube, many videos on subject.

HemiHauler

Back in the day, they took regulating the Nation's coinage pretty seriously.

In the Coinage Act of 1792. Section 19 is one of the most important. It states that, “That if any of the gold or silver coins which shall be struck or coined at the said Mint shall be debased or made worse as to the proportion of fine gold or fine silver therein contained……every such officer or person who shall commit any or either of the said offences, shall be deemed guilty of felony, and shall suffer death.”

About Sovereignty: We, as a Nation, gave up our Sovereignty, again, to foreign private banking interests in 1913. It is these groups of people that control whole Nations and Countries. They subvert our Constitution; payoff, bribe, extort, threaten, blackmail any and all politicians and high level officials to ensure that "their" malevolent plans are executed to their benefit, not ours. We have had a one world 'government' now for many many many years. The bankers are the government that is controlling all governments.

We, the people, have no governmental control over these parasitic tyrants.

In 1970, before Nixon ended the convertibility of the dollar to gold, and in years prior, a man could support a family of four or five. A wife who didn't have to work, kids, a house and vehicle.

Today (2024), the average salary is $40,000. Gold is about $2350 an oz.. 250 oz of Gold, is now well over $500,000 in today’s purchasing power vs $10,000 for 250 oz, in 1970.

Inflation. I would wager that a person starting a career, say in 1990 might start out at $30,000, today in 2024, after years of raises, that person might now being being paid $71,690. Which means that they are still being paid what they started out with, relative to the inflation caused by the increase of the money supply. So while people may think they are making more money, in fact, they are not, since, it now takes more of that money today to buy the same goods and services as before. In other words, whatever someone starts out at in their work beginning, all things being the same, is their lifetime annual wage amount.

As an experiment, go here and put in your starting salary from when you started work in your private sector career. Not as a self-employed person, only as an employee. Since business can vastly fluctuate, and grow from many factors. I say private employee because governmental employees are a protected class. And see what you come up with.

Oh, and banks today are not banks. They are nothing but large accounting firms. Since they hold nothing of value, or issue anything of value. Money today is conjured out of thin air. The question is, how can something have any value if it is a product of fraud? Money today is produced by fraud. What is said to be, "On the Full Faith and Credit of the United States", actually means that those in government will do everything necessary to continue the enslavement of its people to satisfy the banking elite.

And would someone tell @SamSpade to read this so he might understand better the BS system we've been forced to live under? Since he blocked me awhile ago becasue somehow I caused him to be butt hurt in some way.

Inflation is a feature — not a bug — of our monetary system.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Inflation is a feature — not a bug — of our monetary system.

Yes, I am fully aware. I also don't think the FED has ever maintained their so-called 2% inflation target, ever. Inflation is also a hidden tax in that it reduces one's purchasing power. True taxation without representation.

We also already have, after 1971, a Central Bank Digital Currency, CBDC, in that, all bank accounts are in digital form, but can be converted into pieces of worthless paper if one so chooses.

HemiHauler

Yes, I am fully aware. I also don't think the FED has ever maintained their so-called 2% inflation target, ever.

That’s what I like about it - it’s easy to craft a portfolio to beat inflation. I don’t think inflation has ever outpaced my returns. Granted, I didn’t start working until Reagan’s first term.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

That’s what I like about it - it’s easy to craft a portfolio to beat inflation. I don’t think inflation has ever outpaced my returns. Granted, I didn’t start working until Reagan’s first term.

Yes, but are you, will you be, beating inflation after taxation, capital gains, income, etc., on those returns? For the majority of people, vis investing, it's one step forward, but two steps back. Either way, good on you for recognizing for what the systems is, and knowing how to take advantage of it. Though I prefer physically held assets that hold and increase in value, and shy away from the casino known as the market.

HemiHauler

Yes, but are you, will you be, beating inflation after taxation, capital gains, income, etc., on those returns? For the majority of people, vis investing, it's one step forward, but two steps back. Either way, good on you for recognizing for what the systems is, and knowing how to take advantage of it. Though I prefer physically held assets that hold and increase in value, and shy away from the casino known as the market.

I mean that is the hope for us all, yes? Even if one is risk averse to equity/market investments or has a moral objection, we all hope to amass enough money to furnish the lifestyle we want such that the last check we write the day before we die bounces.

I also strongly believe that financial security is about diversification — market investments but also hard assets. Assets like precious metals, Rolex watches, real estate, etc. I don’t see all of these as “investments” per se but rather assets that store value.